Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Goddammit I Want An Effin Cigarette.
Quote | Reply
It's been about a month or so since I've done smokes. Somebody come down here and punch me hard upside the head with a closed fist. I started up again when DH died 4 years ago. Eff it. Encouragement welcome. Tony Bourdain offing himself is really upsetting. :( IMFL 70.3 here I come, smoke & booze free if the gods are beneficent.

No mean shit please. Gracias.

~~ kate

edited to add: for all the other fatty losers out there in the universe who hate who you are, blessings & cheers from a fellow fatty loser who hates herself. We can figure it out. Somehow. However unlikely. lovepeaceandtriathlon.wordpress.com
Last edited by: dreaming~big: Jun 9, 18 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: Goddammit I Want An Effin Cigarette. [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best substitute for a drug is another drug. Even better if the "substitute drug" is super powerful (and healthy too).

When you want a smoke, go get some endorphins and get on your bike, go for a swim, go for a run, or climb the steepest mountain you can find ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Creating a physical impulse could help. Do a hard workout, follow immediately with chocolate, sugars, both.
I know it's hard, took on triathlon after 25 years pack-a- day. Get some steel cleated bike shoes and kick the addiction in the face.
You got it.

NO
Last edited by: Alabama Viking: Jun 9, 18 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dreaming~big wrote:
It's been about a month or so since I've done smokes. Somebody come down here and punch me hard upside the head with a closed fist. I started up again when DH died 4 years ago. Eff it. Encouragement welcome. Tony Bourdain offing himself is really upsetting. :( IMFL 70.3 here I come, smoke & booze free if the gods are beneficent.

No mean shit please. Gracias.

~~ kate

edited to add: for all the other fatty losers out there in the universe who hate who you are, blessings & cheers from a fellow fatty loser who hates herself. We can figure it out. Somehow. However unlikely. lovepeaceandtriathlon.wordpress.com

Congratulations to you for wanting to take back your life and lower your long term risk! I believe in you and that you can do it. You've made it well past the physiologic dependence stage and are now dealing with all the psycho-social behavioral stuff. Very tricky but you made it a month, and quite honestly, that's the hardest time.

A support group helps and if ST reaches out and supports, great! Encourage your circle of friends to help too, as you may need more..
You may need to avoid the smokers in your social circle, if that was a trigger. Figure out what other times you had the 'urge' and trade them with a healthy substitute-as suggested-a walk/run/bike/swim-something physical works. The urge won't last. Sugar free gum can help too. Modify your behavior to give yourself the best chance at success.

Give yourself mini rewards for 6weeks/8weeks/12 weeks/6months. You deserve it.

You can do it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qztuEucrNBc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are able, go for a swim. The water tends to extinguish cravings.

I wish you well. You are making intelligent and life-affirming choices.

Thank you for posting. You have helped others today.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 years tobacco free, hardest damn thing I have done. Best thing too.

Hang in there, you are not alone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang in there, dreamingbig. Please don't hate yourself... glad you're reaching out for support. I don't have anything smoke-specific to share, but pulling for you. Hope it gets easier soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I quit 2 years ago, somehow managed to run marathons and triathlons all while smoking, I won’t lie... quitting sucks. I still almost daily have to take a huge deep breath to really stretch the lungs out, just to get a good sensation... with time the craving are slowly dimenishing.
On a plus note, my running and biking are consistently improving. Yours will too.
Best wishes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got this. Like others have said, it is nice to replace an unhealthy addiction with a healthy one.

Try hard like hell to avoid the triggers. When the cravings come and they will, don’t cave to them. They will eventually fade. In the meantime distract yourself from them.

Wishing you well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how's the hip?

--------------------------------------------------------
Rebuilt with twice as many titanium parts as Portland79.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You ST guys are so so so great. Thanks. Still a non-smoker thanks to y'all. Gracias. That craving thing is so daggone tough when it hits you in the rib cage right by the heart and won't go away. GIMMEE GIMMEE GIMMEE I NEEEEEEEED IT. Sometimes it's hard to find that small little inner voice that whispers "no you don't, grrl. eyes on the prize."

One baby step, and then another. Thanks for catching me. Onward.

~~ kate

ps -- the left hip is still inside its socket. No guarantees on tomorrow, but today is a-ok. :)
Quote Reply