Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
dunno wrote:
Dean T wrote:
I do a lot of long slow swimming. But because I love it. Not because it makes me fast... I'll be the first to admit it doesn't. I swim up to 30K a week, sometimes up to 3 hours at a time, 90% continuous. Keeps me feeling and looking good, calorie burn, and I can eat anything and as much as I want. But it doesn't make me any faster in races, than I average in the pool, which is about a 1:40 - 1:45 pace. When I was swimming half as far, with speed sessions, I was racing at sub 1:30 paces. I know, nothing compared to the natural fish here, but a good example of the difference between long slow swimming, and lots of intervals type swimming.

Interesting, thanks. I wonder why this is and why its so different to running or even cycling?

Here's my take on it. A lot of folks disagree with my take on the swimming part, but the run/cycling part is straightforward.

Swimming fast requires both technique and power, and triathletes who haven't swum a ton usually vastly underestimate the importance of the power in going fast. It is true that as a raw beginner if you have major stroke errors, you SHOULD practice slowly to fix them before speeding it up and going hard.

But once you're pretty flat in the water, power >> technique for AG triathlete swimming. And triathletes continue to underestimate the training required to swim well/fast (Measly 2-3 swims a week is pretty typical for even 'advanced' book training tri plans.)

If you think technique is so dominant, a competitive swimmer with their arm tied behind their back should come in near-last in a triathlon swim. You all know that in reality, they will likely beat 80-90% of the AGers despite that arm tied back there. Yeah, technique, right.

As for cycling - not much technique needed on the power generation part, you're pedaling in circles. If tri bike courses were more technical or drafting was allowed, you'd see a technical cycling rise greatly in importance. As it stands, it doesn't.

As for running, humans are evolutionarily developed to optimize run form for body type and fitness. Yes, it is a singularly special ability we have, and this has been intensely studied by scientists who confirm this in many ways and trace is evolutionarily. As opposed to skiing, swimming, and other sports, we don't have to learn technique really at all - you just have to do it and you'll naturally optimize your technique to YOUR ability/body type. A lot of swim coaches make the big mistake of thinking run training should mimic swim training, so heavy emphasis on identifying technical running flaws and then focusing on drills to fix them, where in reality, these technical errors will self-correct very quickly as you get faster. And in fact, if you force technical correction on someone who's physiology doesn't prefer it (like Ryan Hall 2:05 marathoner's low arm swing) they will almost certainly run slower/worse.

I got slammed for advising people to lift for those wanting to swim faster.

To the poster asking about "won't your technique fall apart when you swim fast?" This is exactly why you need to dial in your technique to swim hard and fast. Your swim technique will change depending on intensity and duration, just like anything else...but that's the point. Your technique SHOULD be different when you are sprinting vs swimming all day.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
If you think technique is so dominant, a competitive swimmer with their arm tied behind their back should come in near-last in a triathlon swim. You all know that in reality, they will likely beat 80-90% of the AGers despite that arm tied back there. Yeah, technique, right. //

I think your argument here is ass backwards, and actually describes why swimming is so technique loaded. The reason a top swimmer will beat 90% of folks with a one arm swim is because of technique, not from any real strength component. It is the technique of moving your body through the water, and losing one arm for top swimmer is just a slight drawback. With one arm a swimmer can still hold that great body position, using a little more legs and glide to keep that momentum going.

There are a lot of really weakish long distance swimmers that overcome that with technique. Sun Yang comes to mind, imagine he would have trouble doing 10 pull-ups and bonk after a minute of push ups. But put him in a pool and he can swim circles around most for hours on end.. Same with a lot of the ladies, you won't find a lot of traditional strength in their bodies, but speeding through the water all day long regardless..

Dude, look at Sun Yang. I bet he could knock out 10 pull-ups with an extra 25kg on his waist. Hell, if I can Do 4x6 pull ups with 25 extra pounds, surely he would be able to knock my shit sideways in pull ups. He's 180 and lean at his racing weight.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's still very hard for me to reconcile the importance of heavy lifting for triathlon swimming which are all non-sprint swim distances.

I mean, Lucy Charles, was a legit pure swimmer and her arms and back are far from the buffness you'd see in Crossfit. Same with Alistair Brownlee, who consistently led the swim in his prime - his arms are really small. You could go on an on - Jan frodeno, etc.

Now for sprint-type swim (and bike/run) events - yeah, muscle power matters a LOT. We all know how huge the swim sprinters are, but it's no different in run/bike. Chris Hoy's got quadzilla legs. And in a youtube video, the buff british pro boxer absolutely crushed both Brownlees and Mo Farah in a short track run sprint. It wasn't even close, which actually surprised me, since I didn't know pro boxers trained sprinting. (Apparently they do!)

Telling an AG triathlete to prioritize heavy weightlifting as do swimmers doesn't seem as useful to me. Particularly as it's entirely possible that the added weight and training fatigue from that weightlifting may be offset by penalties on bike/run. That said, I still weight train myself a fair amount - but not to get faster in the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
It's still very hard for me to reconcile the importance of heavy lifting for triathlon swimming which are all non-sprint swim distances.

I mean, Lucy Charles, was a legit pure swimmer and her arms and back are far from the buffness you'd see in Crossfit. Same with Alistair Brownlee, who consistently led the swim in his prime - his arms are really small. You could go on an on - Jan frodeno, etc.

Now for sprint-type swim (and bike/run) events - yeah, muscle power matters a LOT. We all know how huge the swim sprinters are, but it's no different in run/bike. Chris Hoy's got quadzilla legs. And in a youtube video, the buff british pro boxer absolutely crushed both Brownlees and Mo Farah in a short track run sprint. It wasn't even close, which actually surprised me, since I didn't know pro boxers trained sprinting. (Apparently they do!)

Telling an AG triathlete to prioritize heavy weightlifting as do swimmers doesn't seem as useful to me. Particularly as it's entirely possible that the added weight and training fatigue from that weightlifting may be offset by penalties on bike/run. That said, I still weight train myself a fair amount - but not to get faster in the swim.

A few things:
1: most triathletes should spend time lifting anyway, it’s helps with injuries.
2: I never said lift heavy and gain 10lbs of muscle. Why do people think that if you step into the gym you’ll immediately gain 10 lbs of muscle? It took me 2 solid years to put on 15lbs.
C: I also didn’t say prioritize, I said it’s useful and you should do it. 1-2 sessions a week is enough to make a difference.
D: you will NOT gain TONS of muscle lifting if you’re a triathlete. I felt the need to emphasize this again. You do too much cardio to hold onto any meaningful amount of muscle that would slow you down.
5: Just because Lucy Charles is skinny doesn’t mean she always was, or that she isn’t strong. It’s about getting STRONG, not big.

End rant.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, triathletes often DO gain too much muscle if they are wishing to optimize their tri performance. Not as much as issue for AGers, but Rinnie even says this outright in one of her videos when a trainer is working with her. The pro/elites specifically avoid weight training that will bulk them up. Not true at all for competitive swimmers though, and it's pretty obvious in terms of their builds.

Some will gain/lose more than others. But if you are going from little-low weight training, you can easily put on 5,10, even 15 lbs depending on your starting point and size. Especially if you've dieted down your weight and probably consumed some of your muscle in the process already. (When I was on marathon-specific training, with no weight training, my upper body and leg bulk atrophied to the point I was -20 lbs compared to today, and I have a six-pack today so not carrying a ton of fat.)

Even avoiding the weight gain issue, again, the point is that you're fooling yourself as a triathlete if you think significant weight training is going to significantly improve your OWS speed at triathlon race distances, especially if you're comparing it to just spending more time in the pool or OWS. Not even close! It might improve your swim sprint speed, but 1500yds/meters+? Doubtful.

I agree with you as I said previously about weightlifting for AGers just for general well being. This applies to all folks, not just triathletes. At my mid40s, it was getting alarming to me that I might strain my back doing something as routine as replacing the jug on the office water cooler, so I've been good about weight training. But the goal here is to avoid weird muscle strains in acts of daily living - NOT to improve my swim pull strength.
Last edited by: lightheir: Nov 20, 20 9:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Actually, triathletes often DO gain too much muscle if they are wishing to optimize their tri performance. Not as much as issue for AGers, but Rinnie even says this outright in one of her videos when a trainer is working with her. The pro/elites specifically avoid weight training that will bulk them up. Not true at all for competitive swimmers though, and it's pretty obvious in terms of their builds.

Some will gain/lose more than others. But if you are going from little-low weight training, you can easily put on 5,10, even 15 lbs depending on your starting point and size. Especially if you've dieted down your weight and probably consumed some of your muscle in the process already. (When I was on marathon-specific training, with no weight training, my upper body and leg bulk atrophied to the point I was -20 lbs compared to today, and I have a six-pack today so not carrying a ton of fat.)

Even avoiding the weight gain issue, again, the point is that you're fooling yourself as a triathlete if you think significant weight training is going to significantly improve your OWS speed at triathlon race distances, especially if you're comparing it to just spending more time in the pool or OWS. Not even close! It might improve your swim sprint speed, but 1500yds/meters+? Doubtful.

I agree with you as I said previously about weightlifting for AGers just for general well being. This applies to all folks, not just triathletes. At my mid40s, it was getting alarming to me that I might strain my back doing something as routine as replacing the jug on the office water cooler, so I've been good about weight training. But the goal here is to avoid weird muscle strains in acts of daily living - NOT to improve my swim pull strength.

N=1 of course but for me, I swam my fastest 5 and 10ks at my most muscly. I guess I am not as gifted as other athletes in that I cannot gain muscle easily. Cheers.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) If my primary goal was to swim fast-
I would be doing 16 hr/wk of varied swimming training and some focussed lifting.
(I don't think I can swim more).

2) If my goal was to be a fast triathlete and have good functional strength-
I would do 3.5 hrs/wk of swimming with kick, sprinting, fly and breast.
I would also do speed and agility work for running and cycling.

3) If my goal was to be a fast triathletes and not worry about functional strength- I would just do a lot of slow swimming and focus my hard training for the run and bike. (I am a unique case).

4) If my goal was to waste a lot of time, have little functional strength and suck at everything (including functional strength) - I would prioritize weight training.
This is the predictable outcome for 99.9% of amateur triathletes that make weight training a top priority.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Nov 20, 20 9:44
Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough, but OP wants to SWIM faster.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Fair enough, but OP wants to SWIM faster.

Yes if the only goal is to swim fast:
1) Do a heavy dose of traditional swim training-
A) Several high volume aerobic workouts per week.
B) Several stroke and kick workouts.
C) Several sprint workouts.
D) A workout with IM or fly sprinting.
2) Do this for several years
3) Attend regular swim meets to test your speed development.
4) At some point you might want to consider weight training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think having flexibility is a lot more important than bulking up for swimming. Thats for the average swimmer. I understand college swimmers its a bit different and they are really sprint oriented. So you see some crazy dryland stuff from them.
Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
My sincere and humble apologies.
Obviously the OP can and will learn at your feet.
You added so much to his knowledge and confidence about pure swimmers.
Now that they know what a pure swimmer should be like they can model themselves on that or take up tennis..
Once again please accept my abject (grovel grovel) and sincere admission of guilt in questioning your wisdom in projecting minimum standards of excellence.

That's a pretty solid over reaction, congrats.
Last edited by: NAB777: Nov 21, 20 14:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. This thread has a ton of posters making some very strong claims about physics and swimming despite clearly not being physicists nor swimmers.

Facebook and Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [SwimGreg3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwimGreg3 wrote:
Wow. This thread has a ton of posters making some very strong claims about physics and swimming despite clearly not being physicists nor swimmers.

And just because you're a naturally fast, gifted swimmer doesn't give you any real qualifications to give advice, either.

There's one well know guy here than went as an AOS-swimmer from zero to like sub-1 minute 100 in a single year. Seriously, if you're that gifted, does it give you ANY qualifications to give technical advice when it came that easily to you? It's like asking Allen Iverson at age 16 to coach a typical middle age basketball player with middle-of-the road talent. That guy was destroying adult pros before he was 18, with awesome bball technique and skills and mindset, but he'd literally be the WORST teacher ever because it just came so naturally and easily to him. (He actually has said this many times - he never worried about his sports performance, ever, because it always worked. Always.)

And similarly, you could get 20 of the top hydrodynamics physicists together in a room, have them work on swim technique physics for several years, and their conclusions would be no better, and likely a lot worse than experienced AG coaches. Too many variables between people, events, conditions, etc.

Similarly - a top Russian trainer of gold medalists could show up here, dominate the discussion, but his points may likely be nowhere near as useful to non-elite, normal-talent triathlete AGers who can barely swim 3x/wk. Like when that guy goes "technique dominates ALL" but he's automatically assuming we're at a MINIMUM swimming 50k/wk. Hard. Minimum. Yeah, not gonna work for us normies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you make an excellent point. Seems to me most triathlon coaches trade more on their own success in the sport than on the success of their athletes.

That said, I think there are many former swimmers immersed in the sport for long enough to have picked up some nuggets of knowledge. Including that technique is important and that you have to train fast to race fast.

But since you bring it up perhaps you’d like to share your own qualifications for giving advice in this thread.

Facebook and Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
There is plenty of literature, chat and training advice about going slow to go fast with running.

Does they same hold true for swimming though? A lot of training plans seem to be the complete opposite-lots of short sharp intervals. Why is this? Can you approach swimming in the same way-long comfortable low HR sets with a speed day or two during the week?

In short, yes, you can (& should) absolutely approach swimming the same way.

This post about my time with one of the greatest swimmers of all time offers some more details...

https://alancouzens.com/blog/touretski.html

Alan Couzens, M.Sc. (Sports Science)
Exercise Physiologist/Coach
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Alan_Couzens
Web: https://alancouzens.com
Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [SwimGreg3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwimGreg3 wrote:
I think you make an excellent point. Seems to me most triathlon coaches trade more on their own success in the sport than on the success of their athletes.

That said, I think there are many former swimmers immersed in the sport for long enough to have picked up some nuggets of knowledge. Including that technique is important and that you have to train fast to race fast.

But since you bring it up perhaps you’d like to share your own qualifications for giving advice in this thread.

I'm not an expert, and have never claimed to be. That's why I'm not a professional tri/swim coach.

How about you, since you're the one harping on it and acting all high and mighty rather than contributing meaningfully to an interesting discussion?
Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yours goals and abilities are going to dictate what type of training you do. In general, for triathletes, if you want to be the most efficient in your swim training to improve pursue a “race pace” approach versus a more orthodox swim program. Get a good strength and conditioning program (if you want some recommendations, PM me). With a solid, structured S&C program you’ll improve in your bike and run also and decrease your likelihood of injury. Stay FOCUSED and CONSISTENT in your training. Your brain counts every stroke, so every stroke counts. You should see short term gains within about 8 weeks and long term gains over 6 month to a year.

I hope this helps.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abergili wrote:
I think having flexibility is a lot more important than bulking up for swimming. Thats for the average swimmer. I understand college swimmers its a bit different and they are really sprint oriented. So you see some crazy dryland stuff from them.

My only caveat with flexibility is that it is possible to be “too” flexible. After my shoulder surgeries (genetics, workload and an outward-sweeping catch were the cause), I can no longer touch my hands behind my back (the one with one hand behind your neck, with the other hand coming up from your lower back), but can swim freestyle fine. I used to have hyper mobile shoulders that would dislocate, sublux or separate for almost no reason. Obviously that particular stretch or motion is broadly useless in freestyle, and I’ve adjusted my freestyle stroke accordingly. I will say, that I can’t really swim proper back or fly anymore with lack of flexibility. I never thought I’d be a breaststroker, but hey, in 2020 anything is possible! The good thing is that when meets come back, I will pretty much PR in any breast event.

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
dunno wrote:
There is plenty of literature, chat and training advice about going slow to go fast with running.

Does they same hold true for swimming though? A lot of training plans seem to be the complete opposite-lots of short sharp intervals. Why is this? Can you approach swimming in the same way-long comfortable low HR sets with a speed day or two during the week?

No.

Swimming is all about technique. Your technique when swimming 2:00+/100 is not the same as when swimming sub-1:30/100 (or whatever). Swimming slow just practices bad technique.

This. 100%.

Maybe once you can swim sub-1:00 for 100yd (a testament to at least modestly-efficient technique), then yes, doing some long slow HR days with low stroke count per length could be valuable. Until then, work technique with a very skilled and detail-oriented coach.

Often, the winningest youth club coach in the area is the best coach you'll have access to, in person. You can't just recruit youth talent and train them poorly and win in swimming. You absolutely could (and many do) in track and field, especially sprints, relays, and jumps. You may have to chase the good youth swim coach down and twist their arm to coach a triathlete, and maybe pay a pretty penny but they'll probably make you fast with 1:1 coaching sessions.

FYI: Rory at icanswimfast.com is excellent for remote coaching value. No personal affiliation, just crazy-impressed with his service and expertise.
x3

If you are swimming slower than 1:30/100 your technique is awful. In that case about 50% of all your time in the pool should be spent on drills. And hire a coach. And have a video taken of your technique to analyze.

Real swimmers can effortlessly glide through the water, I mean just no effort at all, faster than 1:30/100.

It takes a high level of mental effort for me to slow down to 1:30/100.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:30/100m is floating pace.

Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:

Hey,you get in trouble around here for saying shit like that.. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I swam that slow my kid would be kicking my ass... trying to stave that off. I figure I have 18 months.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:

So what's your easy pace? A 1:15? And what do you put this ease down to-what % split between technique and fitness? What I'm trying to understand is someone with poor fitness be able to comfortably hold a <1:30 with little to no swim fitness if they had the correct technique imbedded?

TL/DR if I cant swim a comfortable 1:30 (I cant...) should I focus primarily on technique more than trying to punch out fast intervals with crap technique?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:

realAB wrote:

realAB wrote:
If I swam that slow my kid would be kicking my ass... trying to stave that off. I figure I have 18 months.

f**k you that's ridiculous. 1:30 / 100 m is something that's unachievable for me unless it's an all out sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: Go slow to go fast-Swimming? [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
realAB wrote:

realAB wrote:

realAB wrote:

f**k you that's ridiculous. 1:30 / 100 m is something that's unachievable for me unless it's an all out sprint.

Have a look at the people in your own neighbourhood Michael .The winner of the 3k swim you did this month swam 34:41 which is 1:09 per 100meter pace or 5.2kph without a wetsuit.Go speak to some of the top swimmers in your Open Water community and ask them how they may be able to help.
DWBTT 3.0k FINAL RESULT (filesusr.com)
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Nov 23, 20 3:35
Quote Reply

Prev Next