Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GoPro Hero 7: Best place to mount for cycling?
Quote | Reply
I just bought the new GoPro Hero 7 and would like to get some cool footage on my road bike.
I have Aero Handlebars (S-Works Aerofly) which unfortunately won't accept a computer mount next to the stem. Instead of I have a "Barfly out front mount" connected to my Wahoo Bolt like this:
http://www.crankaddicts.cc/fizik-cyrano-stem-barfly-2-0-direct-stem-mount/

What's the best option for mounting my Gopro Hero 7? What location?
Options I've seen are:
1) Stem/head tube Cap GoPro Mount (Replaces the top cap)
2) Spacer replacement Gopro mount (Replaces one of your 5mm spacers with a Spacer that has a Gopro mounted to it)
3) Helmet Mount (I hear this is good because it takes away most of the vibrations, but I don't like the feel of it. Also not great if I change head position EG low tuck in drops vs being upright on the hoods)
4) Chestie Mount (I have one of these but can't get good footage. The angle is always off because I change my position a lot)

What other options are there? Any unique mounts/shots I should try?
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro Hero 7: Best place to mount for cycling? [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I got my R5 that came with "aero" handlebars I realized that the clamp space that was round wasn't wide enough to accommodate my normal Wahoo/gopro mount. So I got something this Rec-Mount off amazon.

Overall it works well. It's not the most "sleek" design with the bolts on the side, but it's not all that clunky either when you look at it from the front. It comes with multiple size spacers and bolts so you have options on how far out the mount for the computer and gopro will sit. This is important if you have the full size Wahoo Elemnt or if you have a stem where the bolts sit farther in from the leading edge of the face plate.

I've used this with my hero session and it works well. I they made one specifically for my stem (like they do for Enve stems), but it's not that big a deal.

ETA: These Rec-Mounts only come with one quarter turn adapter, so make sure you choose the right one. It's not like BarFly where you get 5 different quarter turn adapters and you choose which one to set up based on the computer you have.
Last edited by: Jason N: Oct 4, 18 15:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Under the GPS out the front...however you can engineer that solution with today's handlebar trend. The stabilisation on the Hero 7 is out of this world, so there's no need to worry about vibrations. I'm always concerned with body/helmet mounts about what happens in the event of a crash.... and yes, I've crashed with a GoPro on a chest mount.

Hero 7 test run down a rough-as-guts road here in Australia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkJFmi0PCbE

That was mounted under the head unit (standard 31.8mm bar mount)

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5) all of the above and more.

There's nothing more tedious than an entire video (longer than 20 seconds) of one camera angle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are nice bars. I hope I am not too late but I just bought a Hero 7 too. I would definitely NOT put a Gopro on my helment. I bought it because it's a GREAT camera with vibration stability built in v7. It's why I purchased the Gopro7 My friend bought one and I loved his footage.

When I bought the Gopro I had a great excuse to switch over to a Bar Fly 4 TT mount. I was using a Bar Fly stem cap was super solid for my GPS so I moved it to my MTB. Also, since the Specialized New Venge uses a Barfly mount (good enough for. Peter Sagan, good enough for me ; ) I picked up a Barfly TT Mount for my clip ons. My friend let me try his 3d printed mount but it was a piece of junk, no wonder he switched to a barfly TT mount after I did. I didn't have to buy different attachments because my TT mount came with everything I needed - a finned camera or light mount, a di2 junction and all other hardware for attaching plus a variety of GPS inserts.

I mount my Gopro7 right underneath my gps. Super clean, it's lightweight and solid unlike the copycat junk they sell at the races. Re cmounts are so fugly, big and too many screws, not a clean design whatsoever. My Barfly was a great price, aero and never in the way when I tuck in. A few in our group use their Spoon mounts which are great for racing but I didn't want to choose between using my GPS or the camera for training. Barfly has a few other out front mounts but with my clip-ons I went with their TT mount.

The Gopro unmounts easily. My first footage was SMOOTH. Sorry I can't post video as my first attempt was all shot upside down, lol.

I would definitely recommend going with a Barfly mount. They have a different models. I crashed once and my helmet was a bust so would have been my Gopro. Having the camera and gps tucked between the bars probably saved it from damage.

I switched from Garmin, to lezyne and now to the Wahoo Elment. Bar fly has a modular system so when I switched my GPS I just switched to one of the inserts they included in the box. Liking the wahoo the best so far. Awesome mounting system, highly recommend a Barflybike mount.
Last edited by: STplytdy: Oct 30, 18 13:32
Quote Reply