Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
GoFundMe to Become a Pro?
Quote | Reply
https://www.gofundme.com/danielledingman

Thoughts? Comments? There is another triathlete who did the GoFundMe gig to have you pay for her races and the travel and lodging at races.
Quote Reply
Re: GoFundMe to Become a Pro? [Schwcl2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Success in pro triathlon is to some extent about hardening yourself mentally and this is going to fall in the bucket of not helping that one bit. She can do what she wants, and sleeping on floors (alas Craig Alexander) isn't some necessary requisite for success, but I certainly think it helps. At least in this case she is offering something - social media praise to her big donors. But like many pro triathletes the budget doesn't make sense. There is no reason she needs to spend so much on flights, I haven't spent that much on flights in my entire career and she doesn't need to be traveling around the globe to qualify for 70.3 World Champs. She can stay closer to home, race often, gain experience, recover well, and not deal with the uncertainty of international travel.

And frankly she is a true adult onset swimmer, so she really needs to stay close to homebase and work on that swim because while she features the National Champion on the duathlon medal in the campaign, her Swim will be her Achilles heal. You can't give up 10 minutes in a short 70.3 swim and I do know how hard it is for adult onset swimmers to advance.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Nov 24, 17 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schwcl2 wrote:

Thoughts? Comments? There is another triathlete who did the GoFundMe gig to have you pay for her races and the travel and lodging at races.

LOL!! ( cause I literally laugh when I stuff like this:)

Had a local guy here hold a fundraising party for himself so that he could take a week off work to go race in some far off country in the ... AG World Championships!!!... lol
( aside from his immediate family members I heard it wasnÂ’t a great success:)
ItÂ’s all nonsense...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She is probably a nice person and more power to her. However it seems she has had a good life going to Baylor doing track qualifying for Olympic trials etc. It is not like she is a hardship case. As Thomas said why couldn't she start her "journey" by racing in the United States. I couldn't ask other people to donate money to me for such a cause.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flights: $6,600
Car Rentals: $2,925
Lodging: $3,150
Food: $1,200
Coaching Costs: $3,420
Pro License: $950

Only that last item makes any sense. 6K in flights?! That's like twenty-two $300 flights. The hell does she think she's flying to? Rookie pro ought to race 6-8 halfs in their first season, all in North America, and bum rides from the airports, and sleep on someone's couch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This shit pisses me off beyond, but they can do whatever the hell they want, just like if someone wants to help her or not; or someone who wants to call her out.

It's the easy way out that I think bothers me the most....like if you can't afford to fly to Abu Dhabi or Europe or San Diego, then you don't fly to any of those events. She's probaly a lovely girl too boot, but this shit just pisses me off beyond anything.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: GoFundMe to Become a Pro? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

Only that last item makes any sense. 6K in flights?! That's like twenty-two $300 flights. The hell does she think she's flying to? Rookie pro ought to race 6-8 halfs in their first season, all in North America, and bum rides from the airports, and sleep on someone's couch.

maybe for a round trip flight up and down one coast, coast to coast in US is 400 average, and international 800 round trip. perhaps she is picking some international races that are shooting fish in a barrel? just like everyone wanted easy KQ slots by going to china?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to do this to get to Denmark next year. :)

Now we would not want to suggest folks actually have to work to earn money do we

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schwcl2 wrote:

This year I have supported an triathlon athletes out of my own pocket. I see nothing wrong with that.

I know that in American xc-skiing getting support is critical. Doing fundraising for athletes is part of the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: GoFundMe to Become a Pro? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Schwcl2 wrote:

This year I have supported an triathlon athletes out of my own pocket. I see nothing wrong with that.

I know that in American xc-skiing getting support is critical. Doing fundraising for athletes is part of the sport.

Agreed, however, this isn't what I would call conventional fundraising. Her "benefits" are pretty weak. This really is just looking for a handout. She should have been a bit more creative in her approach IMO. Fundraising is tough, so I feel for her.
Quote Reply
Re: GoFundMe to Become a Pro? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Halvard wrote:
Schwcl2 wrote:

Agreed, however, this isn't what I would call conventional fundraising. Her "benefits" are pretty weak. This really is just looking for a handout. She should have been a bit more creative in her approach IMO. Fundraising is tough, so I feel for her.

Sports is based on handouts, some are just more honest than others.
Seahawks here in Seattle gets handouts. So does UW.
All university sports are based on handouts.

Of course you should be smart and have a foundation helping you so your supporters can get a tax wright off.
Quote Reply
Re: GoFundMe to Become a Pro? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Halvard wrote:
Schwcl2 wrote:

I'm not really inclined to donate, although I probably would help out a young promising neo-pro with whom I already had a relationship (and I wouldn't ask for anything in return either). In fact, I've done that. Loaned or gave stuff to kids who needed it.

I don't really feel the need to comment on this case beyond that. Help out or don't. No need to make comments about her.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Schwcl2 wrote:

Me too. I wish I could convince them to get jobs and become self sufficient but their mother insists at 14 & 17 they are still our responsibility.
Quote Reply
Re: GoFundMe to Become a Pro? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Halvard wrote:
Schwcl2 wrote:

Me too. I wish I could convince them to get jobs and become self sufficient but their mother insists at 14 & 17 they are still our responsibility.

Ok, that's funny....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm tempted to be the first Titanium donor...so I can name her bike.

The "FuckNozzle HTFUX5 LackofSpeed Concept"

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But y'all she's using this platform to help others! I don't know why I can't ignore these forum posts and move on (but here I am) because they really get under my skin.

She may be a "lovely person" but she is pretty nervy and entitled IMO
I think it is great if family and friends want to contribute to help someone they know and love fulfill their dreams. Even if her career will probably be short-lived and mediocre. If her family has the money to help her and they realized this is just a way for her to travel, compete, and avoid the responsibilities of the real world more power to them. But I always cringe when I see something like this out to the general public

Heck, she will (along with the other guy you mentioned) if nothing else always referred to on ST as "that female pro who started a GoFundMe account." Ick. Just ick.
Quote Reply
Re: GoFundMe to Become a Pro? [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a better idea. Use your college degree to get a desk job, pick a low stress 35 hours per week career. You will have a ton of time to train, sleep etc., and you wonÂ’t need to beg for $$$. Their are high level pros who work full time. Having all day to train is a recipe for burnout in 90% of athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can see she's married so get her husband to suck it up and work more to allow her to fulfill her dream........

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Re: GoFundMe to Become a Pro? [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thebigturtle wrote:
Here is a better idea. Use your college degree to get a desk job, pick a low stress 35 hours per week career. You will have a ton of time to train, sleep etc., and you wonÂ’t need to beg for $$$. Their are high level pros who work full time. Having all day to train is a recipe for burnout in 99% of athletes.

Fixed the percentage for you...ha. But this is spot on.
Quote Reply
Re: GoFundMe to Become a Pro? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's asking for 20k. That's pretty over-the-top. She has a lot of gall I will say that.
I guess she doesn't want to work just train and travel. It's only been 6 days but it doesn't look like she is doing very well.
It always amazes me when people, other than family or friends, actually contribute to lame requests like this.
Quote Reply
Re: GoFundMe to Become a Pro? [Thebigturtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think she may be a bit over the top in her approach, but at least she is out there trying. I have had mixed feelings about sponsorship and values having been on both sides of the coin.

On the beggers side we door to door collected pop bottles for the 3 cent deposit to fund my youth swim teams trip to Regional JOs. Not much fun asking "Gee Sir/Miss , would you mind giving us your spare pop bottles so we can go to a swim meet?"
Then in college our water polo team couldn't use our AD $ because we were and swimmers and waterpolo wasn't a letter sport. So we got a beer distributor to donate 10 cases of beer for our $1 a ticket beer lottery. That was like shooting fish in the bars at closing time.
Then as a young adult, qualified for World Cup Canoe and Kayak race in Europe. No NGB funding so we brought back the beer lotto, and hustled up about half of needed expenses.
Last week I saw an "only in Montana moment" a HighSchool girls softball team with tickets at $20 for 22 guns in 22 days lotto. Oh my. To raise money for travel next summer.

Then on the other side of the coin our bike club got a half dozen Ciooc frames and $10,000 cash sponsorship one year. You would not believe new Cat 5 members who had never been in a race howl at the expense reimbursement format that was set for the club. And mentioned that deserved the Team frame cause it was nicer than their bike and then they would for sure win races. How much value for a sponsor is there winning a cat3-4 or 5 out of town out of mind crit race?
I think the bikers are the worse... most seem to think a local cat 3-4 rider should get free stuff or owners cost equipment from LBSs that are at best still solvent. Some riders work really hard in steering people to the sponsor bike shop, going in with them to be introduced to the staff, are helpful in clinics, and club events. Others don't do crap then wonder why sponsors aren't lining up to give them free stuff. Or worse yet steer people to buy stuff on line and get $100 for putting the bike together taking a sale away from the LBS. What evers.

It is a slippery slope that sponsorship stuff. Bottom line, you don't have to give the young lady money if you don't want to.
Quote Reply
Re: GoFundMe to Become a Pro? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It is a slippery slope that sponsorship stuff. Bottom line, you don't have to give the young lady money if you don't want to.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this one. It's one thing to help a kids team or even a group of college kids. But, in my book the slope clearly stops once someone is a fully functioning adult. Once you hit that point if you want to pursue your "dream" or "hobby" figure out a way to do it your damn self and stop asking others for a handout.
Quote Reply
Re: GoFundMe to Become a Pro? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's embarrassing really. I think it really is a reflection on our society that people feel free to beg like this. I assumed she just graduated but it looks like she in her 30's. It seems a bit late to turn pro with no swimming background.
Quote Reply
Re: GoFundMe to Become a Pro? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

Besides the obvious I think she needs to contact a couple of those pros who consider themselves cheap, thrifty types. . I think Cody Beals is one of them. He could live like a prince on this budget. He has a complete run down of all his first year triathlon expenses on his site. It was quite interesting. This guy could teach Danielle a thing or two on money management and budgeting Probably humility too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
M~ wrote:
Halvard wrote:
Schwcl2 wrote:

Sports is based on handouts, some are just more honest than others.
Seahawks here in Seattle gets handouts. So does UW.
All university sports are based on handouts.

Of course you should be smart and have a foundation helping you so your supporters can get a tax wright off.

Yeah, whatever dude. At what point do we expect fully functioning adults to accept their situation and deal with it as opposed to begging for money from strangers? Maybe things are different in your neck of the woods, but I was raised to accept that if you couldnÂ’t afford to do what you wanted to do, then you didnÂ’t do that. This young woman has plenty of opportunity to make the money she needs to make in order to continue on her desired career path. Certainly, she isnÂ’t the only rookie tri pro that had to hold down another job in order to finance her goals.

Prev Next