Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Glukos Gels
Quote | Reply
Is there anyone who uses Glukos gels on the run in 70.3 and 140.6 races? Over the past several seasons I've used PowerBar gels in a flask on the run, but PowerBar is discontinuing many of its gels. The team I'm on has a good discount on Glukos products, but I'm a bit hesitant because of the smaller amount of calories - about half the calories in a Glukos gel than in a PowerBar one.

I know that calories aren't everything in nutrition, but can anyone provide any experience with this product? Thanks!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Glukos Gels [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since they became a Team Zoot partner I have been using them, taking one every 45min or so for longer rides or runs and have found them to work well so far.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Glukos Gels [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't like the product essentially a small version of a Capri sun juice pouch, so when you open it on the run and try to drink it, spills all over
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pleasantly surprised by the new line of Gatorade gels - similar to both the PowerBar and Clif ones on the consistency and caloric mix.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Is there anyone who uses Glukos gels on the run in 70.3 and 140.6 races? Over the past several seasons I've used PowerBar gels in a flask on the run, but PowerBar is discontinuing many of its gels. The team I'm on has a good discount on Glukos products, but I'm a bit hesitant because of the smaller amount of calories - about half the calories in a Glukos gel than in a PowerBar one.

I know that calories aren't everything in nutrition, but can anyone provide any experience with this product? Thanks!

What gels are the discontinuing? As far as I am concerned that is one of their best products outside of the versatility of PE bars. My thoughts would be stock on PowerBar gels, the shelf life is I think 2 years but they last for a really long time IMHO. To me PowerBar gels, at least the flavors I use have the right consistency. Glukos seems to watered down for the calories and I do like GUs but they can be a little thick too. If you are on the look out for PowerBar gels of a certain flavor keep an eye on eBay with some saved searches. They always turn up.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only time I've had stomach cramping during a race was with Glukos Gels, so I might be biased. I trained with all sorts of different gels (gu, clif, powerbar) and never had an issue. Got to the race expo and found out they were using this super scientificly formulated "gel" on course. Using the term gel is a bit of a misnomer. They are juice pouces, plain and simple. They are twice the size as a traditional gel and have half the calories and electrolytes. And for some reason, they have very little sodium and a shit ton of potassium in relation. And, they are not cheap. Unless you get a great discount, there are better options.

Now, if someone could figure out how to get the consistency of powerpar gels combined with the flavor of gu gels, there would be your winner.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Glukos Gels [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Don't like the product essentially a small version of a Capri sun juice pouch, so when you open it on the run and try to drink it, spills all over

Yeah, I use these to carry the "gels" in, they really are a concentrated liquid.

https://speedfil.com/...sories/softflask-150

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Glukos Gels [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:
Now, if someone could figure out how to get the consistency of powerpar gels combined with the flavor of gu gels, there would be your winner.

My god you are so right, this would be the best thing ever.

As far as Glukos Gels I agree about their horrible consistency. I got two in a race bag once, tried them on a training ride, and just about spilled them all over myself.
Quote Reply