Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Glucose @ 98 Mg/Dl
Quote | Reply
As a 6 ft, 154 lb, 61 year old, 33 year multi-sport competitor still completing 12-14 weekly hours of structured training, I'm concerned about blood tests that show a fasted Glucose level just a hair under 100MG/DL at 98 this past test. A1C one year ago was 5.4%. Doctors aren't the least bit concerned about this because I'm not over 100 (or A1C of 5.7%). In their eyes, I'm totally healthy and should have no concerns. My goal goes way beyond my doctor's. I want to fight the disease of aging.

My questions to whomever might know:

• Wouldn't 88 MG/DL be "healthier" then 98?
  • Doesn't glucose and insulin sensitivity even below pre-diabetic levels relate to health and disease resistance?
  • Would monitoring glucose with my own monitor like diabetics do be a good way to learn if any particular glucose lowering (increasing insulin sensitivity) strategies work?

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Glucose @ 98 Mg/Dl [geoffreydean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full disclosure, I am a healthcare professional but not an MD. I personally would not be concerned as your numbers are within the ā€œhealthyā€ range. If you are not experiencing unusual dizziness, fatigue, abnormal thirst, and your doctor is not concerned then you shouldnā€™t be either :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why limit yourself to 88? if 88 is better than 98, maybe 78 is better than 88. But, then 68, might be better than 78. Crap. Well then, I'm shooting for 58! Wait, what if someone beats me? Ok that's it....sub-50 is my new goal. Screw it. Go big or go home right? No one ever won by aiming for second best. I'm going for zero!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geoffreydean wrote:
As a 6 ft, 154 lb, 61 year old, 33 year multi-sport competitor still completing 12-14 weekly hours of structured training, I'm concerned about blood tests that show a fasted Glucose level just a hair under 100MG/DL at 98 this past test. A1C one year ago was 5.4%. Doctors aren't the least bit concerned about this because I'm not over 100 (or A1C of 5.7%). In their eyes, I'm totally healthy and should have no concerns. My goal goes way beyond my doctor's. I want to fight the disease of aging.

• Doesn't glucose and insulin sensitivity even below pre-diabetic levels relate to health and disease resistance?
  • Would monitoring glucose with my own monitor like diabetics do be a good way to learn if any particular glucose lowering (increasing insulin sensitivity) strategies work?

No. Nothing to worry about. And yes, I am an MD.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Glucose @ 98 Mg/Dl [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Why limit yourself to 88? if 88 is better than 98, maybe 78 is better than 88. But, then 68, might be better than 78. Crap. Well then, I'm shooting for 58! Wait, what if someone beats me? Ok that's it....sub-50 is my new goal. Screw it. Go big or go home right? No one ever won by aiming for second best. I'm going for zero!

To the OP; read what this guy wrote and then find something else to obsess about.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Glucose @ 98 Mg/Dl [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is talk of type 3 diabetes.. damage to telomeres from excess glucose.
Quote Reply
Re: Glucose @ 98 Mg/Dl [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

Does he have excess glucose?

His spot test says no.

His A1C says no.

I am admittedly not up on the data of what level is "better" for telomeres. Do you have a glucose number that would be supported by some study on telomere length? Now I am genuinely curious.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

To the OP; read what this guy wrote and then find something else to obsess about.

Like which bike frame to buy that will get you to Kona? Gotcha.

Geoff from Indy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
synthetic wrote:

His spot test says no.

His A1C says no.

I am admittedly not up on the data of what level is "better" for telomeres. Do you have a glucose number that would be supported by some study on telomere length? Now I am genuinely curious.

Best to ignore synthetic.

Agree on all points regarding those blood glucose metrics. Also from an MD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
synthetic wrote:

His spot test says no.

His A1C says no.

Currently speculation , not enough long term studies. But just ignore me, we will use MD science from 40 years ago and not bother to question things
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:
synthetic wrote:

His spot test says no.

His A1C says no.

Currently speculation , not enough long term studies. But just ignore me, we will use MD science from 40 years ago and not bother to question things

Case in point.
Quote Reply
Re: Glucose @ 98 Mg/Dl [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then the type 3 thing went away when recently was realized a far more likely culprit in Alzheimer's disease.

Any time you hear the word telomere, you can judge it about equally with the word toxin. Telomeres have been the holy grail and seemingly always will be. There just isn't evidence to support it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Geoff,

IĀ“m not a MD, however IĀ“m a Type 1 for 19 years and obsessed with blood glucose numbers, also a triathlon coach and former IM Pro if that matters

Numbers are OK, but certainly not great. I would only worry a little about spikes of BG (blood glucose) after meals, I would imagine up to now, you never had to think about limit carbohydrate intake. Buy a BG meter and just test 1h after you are done with your meals, see what type of numbers you are getting, anything over 140 would be a red flag and you may want to try tweak the diet a little and see if you can avoid these spikes.

We are very different as Im Type 1, but here is the impact a low carb diet had on my health and A1d

https://www.ironguides.net/triathlon-on-a-low-carb-high-fat-diet/

A legit healthy A1C is sub 5% and fasting BG would be 83mg;dl

Vinnie

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Last edited by: vinnie: Mar 13, 19 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: Glucose @ 98 Mg/Dl [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vinnie wrote:
Hi Geoff,

IĀ“m not a MD, however IĀ“m a Type 1 for 19 years and obsessed with blood glucose numbers, also a triathlon coach and former IM Pro if that matters

Numbers are OK, but certainly not great. I would only worry a little about spikes of BG (blood glucose) after meals, I would imagine up to now, you never had to think about limit carbohydrate intake. Buy a BG meter and just test 1h after you are done with your meals, see what type of numbers you are getting, anything over 140 would be a red flag and you may want to try tweak the diet a little and see if you can avoid these spikes.

We are very different as Im Type 1, but here is the impact a low carb diet had on my health and A1d

Vinnie

Low carb isn't keto, but ketoacidosis can kill a type 1 diabetic. Something to think about
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
vinnie wrote:
Hi Geoff,

Vinnie

Low carb isn't keto, but ketoacidosis can kill a type 1 diabetic. Something to think about

Something every diabetic and every healthcare practitioner knows already. It can kill any diabetic.

Nutritional ketosis and ketoacidosis and not the same thing either. But keep telling us how WE'RE the ones who have no idea what we're talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geoffreydean wrote:

I do monitor my glucose and have for a couple of years and I am not pre-diabetic or diabetic. I also monitor a few other things as well. If you are ever curious I try to publish my regular blood panels although admittedly I am way behind on publishing them. My Q1 2018 full blood work, way more than glucose can be found here.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Glucose @ 98 Mg/Dl [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

I do monitor my glucose and have for a couple of years and I am not pre-diabetic or diabetic. I also monitor a few other things as well. If you are ever curious I try to publish my regular blood panels although admittedly I am way behind on publishing them. My Q1 2018 full blood work, way more than glucose can be found here. [/quote]
Right on. I'm checking it out now. The first thing I saw was low magnesium and that you were going to take a couple caps at night. I take a heaping teaspoon of Calm Magnesium every night. I think I got a gold star on my last blood test for that metric. FYI. Thanks.

Geoff from Indy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geoffreydean wrote:

I do monitor my glucose and have for a couple of years and I am not pre-diabetic or diabetic. I also monitor a few other things as well. If you are ever curious I try to publish my regular blood panels although admittedly I am way behind on publishing them. My Q1 2018 full blood work, way more than glucose can be found here. [/quote]

Right on. I'm checking it out now. The first thing I saw was low magnesium and that you were going to take a couple caps at night. I take a heaping teaspoon of Calm Magnesium every night. I think I got a gold star on my last blood test for that metric. FYI. Thanks.[/quote]
Yes I did a poor job in that particular reporting period. Mainly I wasn't training much but was working on renovating 4 rooms in my house. Needless to say I did a poor job of taking the proper supplements and my diet was sub-par. Training in Florida, especially in the summer, is a recipe for low magnesium levels and they take a while to build back. I did get that mag level up in the next report which was April 2018 (not published)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vinnie wrote:

I am diabetic and have been for 21 years now.

At one point my fasting numbers were in line with the OP and was my A1C was below 5.5. My doctor made me do a oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT). 75mg of fast acting carbs and tested my glucose after 2h. They did measure at 1h and 2h, they use the 2h number for diagnosis. This was the only test that showed underlying problems. I was over 240.

I did my own version of the OGTT a few times. A bagel and glass of orange juice for breakfast and test 2 hours later. Very close to the 75g and pretty fast acting carbs
Quote Reply
Re: Glucose @ 98 Mg/Dl [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
vinnie wrote:

At one point my fasting numbers were in line with the OP and was my A1C was below 5.5. My doctor made me do a oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT). 75mg of fast acting carbs and tested my glucose after 2h. They did measure at 1h and 2h, they use the 2h number for diagnosis. This was the only test that showed underlying problems. I was over 240.

I did my own version of the OGTT a few times. A bagel and glass of orange juice for breakfast and test 2 hours later. Very close to the 75g and pretty fast acting carbs

Interesting. Saw my doc yesterday for annual exam. I bought up a glucose tolerance test and he said A1c test covers that since it takes a 3 month (or whatever it is) picture, problems in insulin resistance would sway the average and show if there was a problem. But I'm still thinking like you and your doc. I bet glucose tolerance would be worth doing.

Even more interesting. He agreed to write a script for Metformin, off label. Meaning he too has read the research indicating it's protective characteristics against cancer and aging in general.
https://www.healio.com/endocrinology/diabetes/news/print/endocrine-today/%7B3d599445-6a21-46c9-b694-7d91409a503f%7D/beyond-diabetes-metformin-may-prove-to-be-a-wonder-drug?page=1

Geoff from Indy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geoffreydean wrote:
marcag wrote:
vinnie wrote:

Interesting. Saw my doc yesterday for annual exam. I bought up a glucose tolerance test and he said A1c test covers that since it takes a 3 month (or whatever it is) picture, problems in insulin resistance would sway the average and show if there was a problem. But I'm still thinking like you and your doc. I bet glucose tolerance would be worth doing.

Even more interesting. He agreed to write a script for Metformin, off label. Meaning he too has read the research indicating it's protective characteristics against cancer and aging in general.
https://www.healio.com/endocrinology/diabetes/news/print/endocrine-today/%7B3d599445-6a21-46c9-b694-7d91409a503f%7D/beyond-diabetes-metformin-may-prove-to-be-a-wonder-drug?page=1

I would do the bagel and OJ test. I managed to keep a sub 5.5 A1C and I was spiking post meals. I was high maybe 2 hours per day. I was also very low part of the day due to reactive hypoglycemia or exercise. All balanced out in my A1C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geoffreydean wrote:
marcag wrote:
vinnie wrote:

Isn't metaformin for self inflicted diabetes? The one you can cure without drugs...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
geoffreydean wrote:
marcag wrote:
vinnie wrote:

Isn't metaformin for self inflicted diabetes? The one you can cure without drugs...

Google Metformin Off Label

Geoff from Indy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Like which bike frame to buy that will get you to Kona? Gotcha.

That's a trick question, right? I mean, everyone knows red is faster.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vinnie wrote:
Hi Geoff,

Vinnie

Good stuff. Thanks. Purchased a glucose meter. Checked fasting and it's exactly what the lab had me at; 98. I tested 2 hours after a meal and was at 120 so I'm not too bad. Now I have a tool to check strategies instead of waiting until the annual check up. Why wouldn't everyone over 60 get one of these very inexpensive devices. I think I'm on the right track when I say sugar speeds up aging meaning lower glucose (to a point) is better than high glucose, even if you're in the "safe" zone under 100.

Geoff from Indy
Quote Reply

Prev Next