Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gloves for Time Trial
Quote | Reply
I've been using Castelli's aero gloves (around 2011 vintage), although they're maybe due for retirement. I plan on testing with no gloves; however, I'd rather run gloves than come up with a solution for dealing with sweaty hands.

Therefore, what are a good set of gloves to pick up that might have a good chance of being faster than no gloves?

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
I've been using Castelli's aero gloves (around 2011 vintage), although they're maybe due for retirement. I plan on testing with no gloves; however, I'd rather run gloves than come up with a solution for dealing with sweaty hands.

Therefore, what are a good set of gloves to pick up that might have a good chance of being faster than no gloves?

I haven't attempted it yet, but anyone ever considered using thin layer of stick-on grip tape?

That is if someone is set on using no gloves and needs grip for sweaty hands.
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That will be the solution, if gloves are appreciably slower, but since I train on my bike in the winter I'm not keen on have something on the bars that will tear up my winter gloves faster.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Jan 3, 19 9:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerocoach or bioracer

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still using the Castellis with the 3 non-index fingers in the same sleeve and with the extended cuff that goes under the skin suit sleeve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll echo Chris, AeroCoach Attack Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run a stacked hands position and the Castelli's were 1-3 watts faster on me. The filled fingers work well on the top hand
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use these, and the aero shoe covers as well.

https://www.gripgrab.com/collections/cycling-gloves/products/aero-tt?variant=31339866706

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFluid wrote:

Except the Attack Speed's own page isn't a ringing endorsement for using any gloves at all for aerobars. Maybe that's why so many track pursuiters go gloveless.

Edit: I guess unless you have hobbit-hands.

Last edited by: trail: Jan 2, 19 19:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
That will be the solution, but since I train on my bike in the winter I'm not keen on have something on the bars that will tear up my winter gloves faster.

I've gone grip-tape on my bars about a year ago and to be honest - I wouldn't consider anything else for the TT bike. Haven't noticed any accelerated wear and tear on my gloves. At first I was apprehensive, but in fact the grip tape grips so well nothing slips to begin with, actually reducing friction. Plus, it's lighter, looks cleaner and I'm sure it's not costing me in aerodynamics.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
TriFluid wrote:

Except the Attack Speed's own page isn't a ringing endorsement for using any gloves at all for aerobars. Maybe that's why so many track pursuiters go gloveless.

Edit: I guess unless you have hobbit-hands.

Sure, bare hands is fine... out on the road though a little extra protection is worth .5 watts to most folks I'd think.

Sucks that my super fancy 5bling's (likely) test the worst :(

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they'd added error bars though, i bet bare hands, the attack speed, glove 1 and glove 3 are within each other's margins of error. If i remember right though, i think Grill had said that glove testing is extremely individual and position dependent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
I'd rather run gloves than come up with a solution for dealing with sweaty hands.

Ski bends

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
LAI wrote:
I'd rather run gloves than come up with a solution for dealing with sweaty hands.

Ski bends

How are ski bends going to help with sweaty hands on the bullhorns when I am cornerning and or braking?

I've used ski bends in the past and while I like them better than s or f bends, I prefer the vuka evos over any of those styles. And for total clarity, I don't have any issues gripping my extensions, wet or dry hands. ;)

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Jan 3, 19 7:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use grip / skateboard tape on the base bar.

LAI wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
LAI wrote:

Ski bends

How are ski bends going to help with sweaty hands on the bullhorns when I am cornerning and or braking?

I've used ski bends in the past and while I like them better than s or f bends, I prefer the vuka evos over any of those styles. And for total clarity, I don't have any issues gripping my extensions, wet or dry hands. ;)

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:

I keep getting images of Tony at World's in Richmond.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:

I've the bioracer gloves. I like them because they're dimpled and in theory should be faster than my Castelli (same vintage as yours). I have not tested them head-to-head with the Castelli, but on their own they offered a few watts more than no gloves. And when I tested the Castelli there was no difference compared to no gloves. If you zoom in on these pics you can see the dimples.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever crash without gloves. It sucks. Just saying.
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuck and roll.....save your hands and your collar bones at the same time :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol.. I remember that one :) But seriously, I have grip tape on my speed concept bar and there are plenty of people here who use it. Works perfect there's no way your hand will slip :)

LAI wrote:
trailerhouse wrote:

I keep getting images of Tony at World's in Richmond.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I need to work on that. Broke my radius this fall because I stuck out my arm after tipping over on the MTB instead of doing a tuck and roll. Seems I have the wrong instinct baked in...
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
Ever crash without gloves. It sucks. Just saying.

Nope. I always have crashed with gloves on but learned my lesson pretty early on to wear full finger deals. And we know those aren't fast. ;)

jeffp wrote:
tuck and roll.....save your hands and your collar bones at the same time :)

I instinctively have always been good at crashing and never have braced my fall. Holding on to the bars can be your best chance at surviving a crash with nothing but bruises and some road rash. That being said, my knuckles and fingers still took a beating before I switched to full finger leather gloves.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Jan 3, 19 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
Lol.. I remember that one :) But seriously, I have grip tape on my speed concept bar and there are plenty of people here who use it. Works perfect there's no way your hand will slip :)

I have no doubt that is the case and it might be the way I end up going. Nevertheless, I plan on testing gloves vs bare hands to see how I shake out with it. The funny thing is I started this thread as I was looking for some other options outside of the AeroCoach and BioRacer gloves. It's looking like those are going to be the route to go, though. That is until I head to the store and pick up some grip tape. ;)

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
I've the bioracer gloves. I like them because they're dimpled and in theory should be faster than my Castelli (same vintage as yours). I have not tested them head-to-head with the Castelli, but on their own they offered a few watts more than no gloves. And when I tested the Castelli there was no difference compared to no gloves. If you zoom in on these pics you can see the dimples.

Good to know that the Castelli's were neutral. I'm really not trying to be faster in that department; I just don't want to be slower.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
LAI wrote:

Ski bends

Super glue and sand, or a tad bit of athletic tape.
Quote Reply

Prev Next