Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giving blood?
Quote | Reply
Hey there! I was recently reminded that my blood type is O- which apparently means any blood type can receive it. I also have a friend who is giving blood, I think every two months or so.

So, as a way to ’give back’ was thinking about becoming a blood donor, its not far to the hospital and I could do it on the odd lunch hour.

BUT, what is the impact on training? Are you effectively giving away hard earned hematocrit, red blood cell count etc? Like an altitude camp, but in reverse? What do med experts here say?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Giving blood? [scandinavianguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a medical expert but do donate fairly consistently. I try to time my donations for the week following a race whenever possible when I'll be taking it easy anyway, and/or at least 6 weeks prior to a race. (I once read that donating could hamper your training/recovery for up to a month after but don't remember the source or know if there's actual merit to that, that month period just stuck with me.) Personally I might feel a little off for the next few workouts following a donation and purposefully take those easy, but more than a week out I don't really notice anything and don't miss intervals or anything like that.

I'm training and racing as a hobby and figure giving blood is far more important in the scheme of things, so that justifies any negative impact to training in my mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Jim above me said, the biggest issue for me is timing my donation so it's not in the middle of a big block or too close to a race. I can definitely feel it the day after a donation, but will make sure it's on a easy day. I'll get my workout the day of the donation done in the AM. I go once every 7 weeks or thereabouts. I also have O-, and high hemoglobin, so it's all a win-win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's incorrect. O+ is the universal blood type. Now, give blood, give back. I try to give blood once a month.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Giving blood? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
That's incorrect. O+ is the universal blood type. Now, give blood, give back. I try to give blood once a month.

You are the wrong one... O- is universal. Don't spread misinformation. O+ can go to about 80% of the population. Google is your friend
Quote Reply
Re: Giving blood? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

You are the wrong one... O- is universal. Don't spread misinformation. O+ can go to about 80% of the population. Google is your friend

I think we're both wrong. The exact clarity doesn't seem to be there on every website...but that it's both being universal. So, back to giving blood. Go give blood.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I think we're both wrong. The exact clarity doesn't seem to be there on every website...but that it's both being universal. So, back to giving blood. Go give blood.

"We" are not, you are. O- is the only universal. The negative is signifying the lack of the Rh group. Rh-negative blood can go to either Rh-negative or positive patients. It does not work the other way. Not sure why you are arguing simple facts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. It's quite clear. O negative is the universal donor. My wife was O negative and was regularly called by the local Red Cross when they ran low.

AB positive is the universal recipient.

But, when transfusion are involved for a cancer patient, the hospital will try to get the best possible match based on different anti-bodies. I sat through a bunch of these when my wife was getting chemo.
Quote Reply
Re: Giving blood? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did your googling and it ain't that clear...but cool. Now go give blood.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

I did medical school, and it is that clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
O- is universal donor for everything (+ or -). O+ is compatible for anything that is also +.

When you get to organ donation + or - no longer matters and could be construed as O+ universal for everyone (but only in organ donation)
Quote Reply
Re: Giving blood? [Fasterthanslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to attempt to clarify things just a touch but will likely muddy things further so forgive me. Then, I'll answer the OP question...

O- is the universal donor, period. Final.

But...

O+ is the universal donor for MEN. The reason for this is that O- is rarer than O+ and we can't risk sensitizing Rh- women with Rh+ blood.

So when a trauma patient comes in to my ED and we need blood right away we call the blood bank and ask for male or female blood. If it's a male we get the more available O+ blood because giving an O- man O+ is not dangerous and there are no downstream effects. But if a woman comes in we call for female blood and that is O- because sensitizing a woman to Rh can lead to significant complications of pregnancy and THAT my friends is the subject for a whole other lecture. I hope this makes sense?

OK, to the original question about donation and training...

I wrote about this for Triathlete Magazine many years ago. Here is an excerpt from that piece: "Donating a pint of blood, (450cc) results in a total body depletion of about 10% of your total blood volume. Of that, only about 160cc are red blood cells. The fluid component, 290cc, is replaced within hours but the red blood cell replacement takes about two months, (which is why you may not donate more often than every two months). What then are any lasting effects of this red blood cell loss?
Oxygen delivery to the tissues is dependent on both your respiratory and circulatory systems. It can be calculated by determining the concentration of inspired oxygen, the hemoglobin concentration, the percentage of hemoglobin that is saturated with oxygen and the cardiac output, (the amount of blood pumped by the heart in 60 seconds). If the other factors remain unchanged, a drop in hemoglobin concentration associated with donating blood will drop your oxygen delivery by 10%. However, under resting conditions, the oxygen delivery at this decreased rate still far outpaces the demand. When exercising you increase your cardiac output in order to compensate for the higher demand that your muscles are making for oxygen. At moderate levels of exercise, the supply will still outpace the demand even with the loss of hemoglobin. At higher levels of exertion however, the demand will outpace the supply at a heart rate that is approximately 5-10% lower than your usual anaerobic threshold. For example, if your metabolism becomes anaerobic at a heart rate of 170, then after donating blood you will become anaerobic at a heart rate of somewhere between 157 and 164. This value will be in flux of course because your hemoglobin level will be rising slowly each day after your donation. So the most effect will be felt only in the first few days."

I hope this helps!

www.tridoccoaching.com
The TriDoc Podcast: http://www.tridocpodcast.podbean.com

Jeffrey Sankoff, MD
TriDoc Coaching/TriDoc Podcast
Train hard, train healthy
http://www.tridocpodcast.com
http://www.tridoccoaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any impact on training pales in comparison to the saving-someone's-life opportunity. You can only donate every 8 weeks anyway, so schedule it around a time you're not in a peak weak or have a race coming up.
To answer your original question, I usually feel a lower aerobic capacity the next day or two, then I feel pretty normal.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scandinavianguy wrote:
Hey there! I was recently reminded that my blood type is O- which apparently means any blood type can receive it. I also have a friend who is giving blood, I think every two months or so.

So, as a way to ’give back’ was thinking about becoming a blood donor, its not far to the hospital and I could do it on the odd lunch hour.

BUT, what is the impact on training? Are you effectively giving away hard earned hematocrit, red blood cell count etc? Like an altitude camp, but in reverse? What do med experts here say?

Thanks
With a name like Scandinaviaguy you not be eligible if you spend a certain time in various EU countries (usually Creutzfeldt-Jakob virus related).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option is to give platlettes. It takes much longer, but you don't give up the red blood cells. Just a minor performance drop, and you still get to save some lives! It's the perfect option for athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Giving blood? [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Boom. And so did I. And I am glad you stood your ground.
People should not confuse their google search for a real medical degree....
Quote Reply
Re: Giving blood? [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoostBooster wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

lol

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much respect to athletes who do it, but I'm put off because it feels like inverse doping. Out of interest, has anyone here given blood and performed to their best in the same year?

I used to give blood before getting into Tri and fully intend to give blood on the future when not also trying to be competitive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giving blood is great, regardless of which type you are. Trust me, those who take it will know what to do with it once you give it, so quit bickering.

With that said, how about being a bone marrow donor as well. I've given gallons of blood, and also registered on "Be The Match." So far I haven't matched anyone, but I will drop ANYTHING I am doing to answer the call. 6 weeks of inactivity while recovering is a small price to pay for prolonging, or maybe even saving a life.

Go on, be that "guy". I can only imagine how much better it would feel than winning a race :)

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: Giving blood? [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, good tip about the bone marrow, will check that out!
Quote Reply
Re: Giving blood? [tridoc5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! That is super helpful! So basically the direct training effect of donating is to lower the ’roof’ for hard efforts? Hence, the first couple days after, keep intensity low and you will hardly notice? Would that be a fair assumption?

Interesting about the M/F distinction, had no idea!

Thanks

tridoc5280 wrote:
I am going to attempt to clarify things just a touch but will likely muddy things further so forgive me. Then, I'll answer the OP question...

O- is the universal donor, period. Final.

But...

O+ is the universal donor for MEN. The reason for this is that O- is rarer than O+ and we can't risk sensitizing Rh- women with Rh+ blood.

So when a trauma patient comes in to my ED and we need blood right away we call the blood bank and ask for male or female blood. If it's a male we get the more available O+ blood because giving an O- man O+ is not dangerous and there are no downstream effects. But if a woman comes in we call for female blood and that is O- because sensitizing a woman to Rh can lead to significant complications of pregnancy and THAT my friends is the subject for a whole other lecture. I hope this makes sense?

OK, to the original question about donation and training...

I wrote about this for Triathlete Magazine many years ago. Here is an excerpt from that piece: "Donating a pint of blood, (450cc) results in a total body depletion of about 10% of your total blood volume. Of that, only about 160cc are red blood cells. The fluid component, 290cc, is replaced within hours but the red blood cell replacement takes about two months, (which is why you may not donate more often than every two months). What then are any lasting effects of this red blood cell loss?
Oxygen delivery to the tissues is dependent on both your respiratory and circulatory systems. It can be calculated by determining the concentration of inspired oxygen, the hemoglobin concentration, the percentage of hemoglobin that is saturated with oxygen and the cardiac output, (the amount of blood pumped by the heart in 60 seconds). If the other factors remain unchanged, a drop in hemoglobin concentration associated with donating blood will drop your oxygen delivery by 10%. However, under resting conditions, the oxygen delivery at this decreased rate still far outpaces the demand. When exercising you increase your cardiac output in order to compensate for the higher demand that your muscles are making for oxygen. At moderate levels of exercise, the supply will still outpace the demand even with the loss of hemoglobin. At higher levels of exertion however, the demand will outpace the supply at a heart rate that is approximately 5-10% lower than your usual anaerobic threshold. For example, if your metabolism becomes anaerobic at a heart rate of 170, then after donating blood you will become anaerobic at a heart rate of somewhere between 157 and 164. This value will be in flux of course because your hemoglobin level will be rising slowly each day after your donation. So the most effect will be felt only in the first few days."

I hope this helps!

www.tridoccoaching.com
The TriDoc Podcast: http://www.tridocpodcast.podbean.com
Quote Reply
Re: Giving blood? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes indeed, life-is-bigger-than-sport factor, thats the main reason I want to do it, so important to get a reminder.

Good to hear there are many tri donors out there! And that it doesnt put a huge dent in training progress!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Giving blood? [tridoc5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thing, the nurse mentioned ’trombocytes’ when I called, would that be a different story? Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's amazing how few people of the general population are willing to give. On my Facebook page I put a link to "Be The Match" for my friends and family to hopefully sign up and then to PM me or reply to the post that they registered on BTM, and left the link up for over a month.

No Likes, no thumbs up, no replies.... nothing.

But they sure as hell kept posting what kind of Pop Tarts they were, what they were going to dress as during Halloween (most are going dressed up as sluts, SURPRISE!!!! 0.o), reposted links because god needed to spread his word, and posted numerous selfies of them stuffing their faces with sugar.

Needless to say I went from 211 friends to 39 in a heartbeat, and I'm not done yet. A few of them only survived the cut because they are family.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: Giving blood? [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looked it up, they only seem to accept marrow from people 35 or younger, so not an option unfortunately.
Quote Reply

Prev Next