Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Give me advice for a 50 mile trail race
Quote | Reply
Skipping triathlon for 2019, and have started training for a 50 mile race in March. I've been getting used to the double long runs on weekends, and am heading to the trails as much as I can. The course is mostly singletrack, with about 7000 ft of elevation.

Any sage advice from folks that have experience? Happy to report back once it's done!
Quote Reply
Re: Give me advice for a 50 mile trail race [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven’t run a 50 miler but ran a 50k with close to 10,000 feet of elevation gain last August and am planning on a 50 miler in May.

What I learned in my 50k:

1. Start SLOW. You’ll pass most of the speedsters later.

2. Power hike the hills.

3. Get calories in.

4. Coke can be a lifesaver near the end of the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train on hills, hills, hills
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be diligent thru the aid stations (if there are any). You can lose more time than you can imagine at them by stopping to snack/talk/etc...get your bottles filled and some food that you can eat as you move. Even eating/drinking while walking will add up over that distance.

I don't have much experience w/ significant elevation, but think the advice you got to power hike uphills and to start off comfortable/slow are both wise...they will put you in a position to have a great back half when others won't. Lastly, enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to all the good advice above I would add:

1. If your race starts or finishes in the dark I would practice running trails in the dark. Depending on the course, even if it's super well marked, you can get turned around easily.
2. Along the same line, if you're running in a group don't blindly follow them. Make sure you're looking out for course markings as well.
3. Don't sit too long at aid stations. Take care of your feet, stand up, and get moving.
4. Anti-chafe...lots of it and if you shave your legs currently, let them grow for a while before the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 30 seconds before the race start go to the porta-potty and be in there when the gun goes off. This will let you avoid going out with the fasties and force you to start slow as you make your way around the slower runners. Those first 5-10 miles really don't matter and you will fly past many of the fasties in the final 5-10 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with the training! I'm also doing my first 50 in May to celebrate my 60th birthday. More than 17K feet of elevation gain. https://www.maxi-race.net/en/races/maxi-race/ I have 30+ years of marathon and long-distance tri experience, but my longest running race has been 50K and that was 30 years ago. I'm planning to build my weekly mileage from 30 to 50 miles by April. I'm hoping for a finish time around 18 hours, walking every ascent. I ran on parts of the course several years ago so I know what to expect.

I'm focusing more on staying healthy as I increase the run mileage than I am on the long weekend runs, which may end up being a mistake. All my runs are on trails or grass. I did a 30-mile hilly (for Ohio) trail run last month and plan to do a 40 to 50 mile training run in mid April. I have always focused on my finish times and AG placings, but my sole goal in this one will be to finish.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 12, 18 7:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
keep going.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't. Just...don't. A 50 mile trail run is just crazy.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me advice for a 50 mile trail race [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of all the knowledge on ST, this may be the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me advice for a 50 mile trail race [philarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks much. Kind of mirrors what I've been thinking- the pacing is so much different than having power and HR numbers as a guide!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure to do a lot of downhill running during your training.
During the race don’t bomb the downhills to make up time.
If you aren’t prepared the downhill will be what really kills you by the end of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me advice for a 50 mile trail race [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Good luck with the training! I'm also doing my first 50 in May to celebrate my 60th birthday. More than 17K feet of elevation gain. https://www.maxi-race.net/en/races/maxi-race/

I'm focusing more on staying healthy as I increase the run mileage than I am on the long weekend runs, which may end up being a mistake. All my runs are on trails or grass. I did a 30-mile hilly (for Ohio) trail run last month and plan to do a 40 to 50 mile training run in mid April. I have always focused on my finish times and AG placings, but my sole goal in this one will be to finish.
Kudos for taking on a notable challenge!

In relation to the OP and long distance trail events, it's generally best not to do all of your training runs on trails, grass and uneven surfaces, especially when you need to accumulate adequate mileage to meet the demands of the event. Doing so increases the likelihood of injury (lateral peroneal tendon, sprains, etc.). Of course, offroad time is important, but so too is getting to the race healthy. As such, time on predictable surfaces such as road (pave/dirt) and treadmill should not be overlooked when accumulating mileage.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me advice for a 50 mile trail race [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Good points, but no treadmill for me. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run several Ultras as a MOP finisher, my guidance is aimed at that. I rate a 50 miler as moderately harder than a full IM, just because you are doing the same thing the whole time.

Most people come up with a run/walk strategy. My buddy/enabler started me with a 15 min run / 2 min walk cycle that we dropped to 12/3 after 35 miles. As you get towards the end, staring at my watch waiting for my walk break became my lifeline... but it also kept me running since the run intervals were not intimidating.

Find a running club / support group. The Reston Runners in VA sign up 50-70 people in the JFK50 every year and have an equal number of support crews on the trail...they were a huge help and support system on training runs and race day. Having a dedicated support team/sherpa is important also as you will likely want to change clothes/shoes over the course of a long day, refresh your body glide too!. Having some of your favorite foods handed up from your own kitchen is awfully nice ( I liked small red potatoes with sea salt).

My longest training run was a marathon (raced) about a month ahead of the Ultra, followed by a good week to 10 days recovery, then pick it back up with a few 10-12 mile runs, then rest up a few days before race day. I dropped my pace about 20% from Marathon pace for an Ultra, and that made a huge difference. Mile 25 was just another mile marker instead of agony.

I take both Aleve and Tylenol in moderate quantities. Aleve pre race and another mid-race and Tylenol in the back half every hour or two.

Good luck and have fun!

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Give me advice for a 50 mile trail race [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a suggestion for how much trail work is "adequate"? I've been trying for one weekday (6-10 miles) and one of the weekend runs (20-25) on the trails, but know that's not going to happen some weeks due to work travel, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Give me advice for a 50 mile trail race [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDevilDog wrote:
I've run several Ultras as a MOP finisher, my guidance is aimed at that. I rate a 50 miler as moderately harder than a full IM, just because you are doing the same thing the whole time.

Most people come up with a run/walk strategy. My buddy/enabler started me with a 15 min run / 2 min walk cycle that we dropped to 12/3 after 35 miles. As you get towards the end, staring at my watch waiting for my walk break became my lifeline... but it also kept me running since the run intervals were not intimidating.

Find a running club / support group. The Reston Runners in VA sign up 50-70 people in the JFK50 every year and have an equal number of support crews on the trail...they were a huge help and support system on training runs and race day. Having a dedicated support team/sherpa is important also as you will likely want to change clothes/shoes over the course of a long day, refresh your body glide too!. Having some of your favorite foods handed up from your own kitchen is awfully nice ( I liked small red potatoes with sea salt).

My longest training run was a marathon (raced) about a month ahead of the Ultra, followed by a good week to 10 days recovery, then pick it back up with a few 10-12 mile runs, then rest up a few days before race day. I dropped my pace about 20% from Marathon pace for an Ultra, and that made a huge difference. Mile 25 was just another mile marker instead of agony.

I take both Aleve and Tylenol in moderate quantities. Aleve pre race and another mid-race and Tylenol in the back half every hour or two.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks much. I kind of like the idea of planning run/walk periods, but hadn't considered it before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bltri wrote:
Do you have a suggestion for how much trail work is "adequate"? I've been trying for one weekday (6-10 miles) and one of the weekend runs (20-25) on the trails, but know that's not going to happen some weeks due to work travel, etc.
Sounds good to me!

Allow your mind, body and proprioception to evaluate your "feel" for the trail and the variety of terrain. But, be mindful that your longer runs will introduce more fatigue and the risk of missteps and potential tweaks and injuries. So, pay attention to this and adjust your venue/terrain/effort as necessary. Remember, the goal is to stay healthy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, do not be surprised if you do not go back to tri...….Ultra's have whole different feel/vibe to them. No one cars about 10k bikes, no one cares about times (as in evaluating each other). My life has become where me and Gwennie (White Border Collie) can go in the trails and mountains. Enjoy
Quote Reply
Re: Give me advice for a 50 mile trail race [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Also, do not be surprised if you do not go back to tri...….Ultra's have whole different feel/vibe to them. No one cars about 10k bikes, no one cares about times (as in evaluating each other). My life has become where me and Gwennie (White Border Collie) can go in the trails and mountains. Enjoy

One of the best things about ultras is the community. Sometimes there’s onsite camping the night before; that’s always fun. Everyone wants to see each other finish and have a good time. At 100k and longer I’ve seen people finish and go back out on the course to help bring in the late finishers. How cool is that? And of course the #1 best thing: the aid station smorgasbord!! :)
Quote Reply