Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giro d'Italia route questions (for 2020)
Quote | Reply
i know the '19 giro is about to begin, but i have questions about the '20 giro, or just the giro and its route in general. wife and i want to go to italy next year, and she is perfectly content to go during may and make watching the giro for a day or two part of the trip. score for me. questions for any italy/giro d'italia gurus as i begin preliminary stages of planning, i've never been to europe or spectated any kind of bike race.

1) my casual internet detective work makes me think the route is formally announced late oct/early nov. is this reasonable to expect? will other general details of the route (aside from the already announced hungarian start) be revealed before then? host cities, which climbs would be included, etc.

2) looking at the past few editions' dates, i'd like to think the '20 edition will begin May 9. The first saturday of the month in '20 is the 2nd, historically I didnt see recent editions starting that early. is this reasonable to assume?

3) wife wants to do switzerland too, so i'm targeting when the giro goes through the alps/dolomites. am i safe to assume the last week of the race will be somewhere up there? therefore, if it does begin may 9, i'll be able to assume the race will be up there the last week, may 26 thru 30? I know the tour does an alternating thing with the clockwise/counterclock-wise around france, and thus the alps/pyrenees rotate on which one comes first in the route each year. is there anything like that in the giro's route that i should be aware of that would help me understand how the route might go?

All this being said, it's not like im booking flights yet but if i can have some good knowledge on these questions before november when the route's actually announced, that'll greatly help me as we think about this trip. thanks.
Quote Reply