Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I get how a GC works, but there were several riders who could be tied. But you're complaining about getting on the internet, onto a sports website, where there may be comments about sport and that others should not talk about a race (in any form) just because you have not had your chance to see it? So at what point can people talk about the tomorrow's stage starting with two riders being in a tie in an open manner? Never? Or does it always have to be buried way deep in some comments

In general, most people on ST are not watching the Giro. But many on ST would be interested in a grand tour ending in an ITT with zero seconds separating the two riders. So for those people it is interesting.

It may feel like you got to find out results (you weren't told the result, you jumped to a conclusion), but for others they got to hear about something intriguing that never happens in a Grand tour (at least its never happened in 40 years that I have been following them).
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 24, 20 13:42
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
OK but how do you know from the title who is tied? You don't know the players who may be tied. Its just setting the stage for tomorrow, without revealing who those players are.

No biggie for me, just a suggestion (look at the *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers*-thread. Possible to scroll past, without spoilers.) Knowing that it is tied after a stage is a spoiler, it gives away end results, a lot of possible outcomes are no longer viable, and hence makes it less exciting to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [slow_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruce Willis' character was actually dead the entire time
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [slow_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The crazy thing is I felt that with a once in a century event at at Grand Tour, we'd kick off an interesting and interactive wider discussion around the excitement of that from many who likely are not even watching (maybe not hard core cycling fans but now drawn in and would suddenly be very interested). Like when you are not a basketball fan and get sucked into following a championship in the final quarter of game 7 because it is exciting even if you have followed zero basketball all year.

It is cool that after 4000km of riding around Italy, dancing around a pandemic we are down to 15km of ITTing. Saying it is tied creates interest among triathletes who don't follow. That was the angle I was getting at.

But rather we got broiled down in another round of ST negativety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
The crazy thing is I felt that with a once in a century event at at Grand Tour, we'd kick off an interesting and interactive wider discussion around the excitement of that from many who likely are not even watching (maybe not hard core cycling fans but now drawn in and would suddenly be very interested). Like when you are not a basketball fan and get sucked into following a championship in the final quarter of game 7 because it is exciting even if you have followed zero basketball all year.

It is cool that after 4000km of riding around Italy, dancing around a pandemic we are down to 15km of ITTing. Saying it is tied creates interest among triathletes who don't follow. That was the angle I was getting at.

It is awesome we can enjoy the races! I think your marketing efforts for Pro-cycling will have less positive effect than negative here though. I personally find it unlikely that it has the effect you wish for in any impactful way, but might get a few or more forum members not to use the forum for some time (not considered "safe"). Not the end of the world, but not putting spoilers in the subject line is an easy fix for that.

Other than that, keep the engagement up, you put a lot of great posts on the pro races here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Perfectly avoidable if you'd just keep titles vague as it was. As others have said, if you know a few things about cycling this is a massive spoiler. If you don't, well yeah, then apparently you change titles to achieve some kind of weird goal of getting more clicks?

The general topic on cycling is an excellent example of how to handle this. It is even in the thread title. Once in the topic you can spoil all you want. But don't think making it very slightly vague like a bad tabloid isn't a spoiler.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C’mon peeps. There is suddenly more excitement about this then the whole race?

If you more then a casual fan, every cycling media outlet you follow gives it away instantly. If it was that important, then watch it live. I’ve streamed at work at times (when appropriate).

Exciting 3 weeks, with unusual suspects, and a way unorthodox dynamic with virus and course alterations. And an unprecedented finale.

Dev was pumped and based on the tepid banter in this thread was trying to drum up interest for tomorrow. Especially with it all coming down to the ITT.

This a 2 minute minor, not a major penalty in my book.
Last edited by: WannaB: Oct 24, 20 16:08
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do appreciate when people are courteous enough to not post spoilers in the thread title itself.

My plan was to watch the stage after work today (I don’t have a job where I can just stream it at work in real time). I decided to casually scroll through the forum during my lunch break To see if there were any new interesting threads and saw this and was disappointed as it made the stage slightly less enjoyable since I knew what was coming. Also a little disappointed that despite a number of people expressing frustration towards Dev in doing this he still didn’t change the title back.

As for the race itself, looking forward to the ITT as it will be an exciting finish. I’ll just have to make sure not to long on to the ST forums until after I watch it so I don’t accidentally see any spoilers in he titles.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 - it is TIED going into final ITT [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s Tao Time ! thanks to Rohan .
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 - it is TIED going into final ITT [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well onto the race itself.
I think it's truly amazing that after 3 hard weeks of racing, 2 guys that weren't on anyone's list are now tied for the lead, and I bet that most of the people on ST never even heard of Jai Hindley, so lets appreciate this cool moment.

As for predictions, I would love for Hindley and Sunweb to take it but back to reality I just can't see ineos letting this get away fro them.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 - it is TIED going into final ITT [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just realized that we have four hour record holders at the ITT: Brandle, Dowsett, Dennis, and Campanaerts. Plus Ganna.

And Brandle sets the early fast time at 51.1 kph....just 0.2 kph slower than triathlete Sanders on Friday :-)
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 25, 20 6:17
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 - it is TIED going into final ITT [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dowsett goes in at 18:21 or so at 51.3 kph (same speed as Lionel on the Velodrome) :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
C’mon peeps. There is suddenly more excitement about this then the whole race?

If you more then a casual fan, every cycling media outlet you follow gives it away instantly. If it was that important, then watch it live. I’ve streamed at work at times (when appropriate).

Exciting 3 weeks, with unusual suspects, and a way unorthodox dynamic with virus and course alterations. And an unprecedented finale.

Dev was pumped and based on the tepid banter in this thread was trying to drum up interest for tomorrow. Especially with it all coming down to the ITT.

This a 2 minute minor, not a major penalty in my book.

Some of us have been following the Giro without actually participating in this thread. We’re allowed to do that, aren’t we? It’s really not cool to put spoilers in the subject line, and that was most definitely a spoiler.

Damage is done now, but please just bear that in mind for future results. It’s possible to create buzz around the event without giving away results.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My interest is coming to this forum to have an interactive discussion on some topics (it could be swimming, marathon running, triathlon, cycling). Without saying who the players are, I just said the thing is going into the equivalent of sudden death overtime.

So all you guys, following the Giro for three weeks, not participating in a discussion about the Giro, that's fine, but why are you coming to a forum to not interact about topics. If everyone views whatever event in realtime or a lag and there is no interaction about those events, then there's no forum anyway

As it stands, many of you chose to not discuss anything about the Giro for three weeks and then your only discussion is complain. It's like the fish thread. Only 5-10 people ever go in there and there are many interesting topics worthy of pulling other people in and if you just change the title (or start a thread specific to a swim topic) we will get more interaction (remember when we did a few monthly focuses, we got different people in).

With one day to go, we're never had a Grand Tour tied. I'm sorry but you actually don't know before going into this thread who it is although those in the know can guess. The rest, not following, well that's interesting.

Can we go back and talk about Campanaerts setting the provisional best time. We have Ganna is on the road now, Dennis to come. Dennis is going to be a bit fried, but Ganna should be good to go
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ganna was 32 seconds faster than Campanaerts the current hour record holder over only 17ish minutes. I don't think Dennis gets close after his hard efforts on Stelvio and Sestriere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope for Hindley but expect Hart.

Ineos (Sky) in kind of the only team that always nails the TTs with their GC guys.

I think the best GC contenders are nowadays often the TT guys who lean out a bit and work on their climbing. The other way round does not go down so well.
But even then sky made sure that the mountain goat Bernal can ride a solid TT. Quintana, Bardet etc. did never manage that.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [CamCom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CamCom wrote:
Bruce Willis' character was actually dead the entire time

The Giro is really just happening in < insert name here >'s head

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we had a nail biter here... my big question has been who is the best time trialist because of the multiple individual TTs in this Giro and to cap it off with a TT instead of the typical parade to the finish was a stroke of genius this time around, 2 riders tied one comes out a winner, couldn't write a better ending. Watching with anticipation, I sort of agree Hart is the man to beat and will likely win his first GC. Also interesting that Dennis came so close to Campenaerts separated by fractions of a second! Ganna is no double the TT rider of the year though.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Dennis would have been closer to Ganna and around half way between Ganna's time and Campanaerts had he not hammered himself into the ground during Stelvio and Sestriere. I am also baffled how Tao lost so much time to Hindley on the stage 1 TT with the downhill sections helped by his slightly larger frame. Thomas must be sitting at home happy for his team, but this parcours was perfectly built for him. Generally I am in the camp of "anyone but Ineos" but I am partial to Great Britain and a Londoner riding for a British team had me cheering all the way on Stelvio, Sestriere and today. It must have been a fabulous day to be in Milano watching this unfold live. And you have to hand it to team Sunweb for "most exciting team" of 2020!!!

So we ended up with an Aussie former world champion (Dennis) hauling around an English kid to beat a fellow Aussie. Tough day for Hindley. You didn't want either guy losing today.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 25, 20 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I spot a “decals removed” Aerocoach arm cups setup on that Pinarello Bolide?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Did I spot a “decals removed” Aerocoach arm cups setup on that Pinarello Bolide?

I did not notice that I just keep seeing 500W+ on the screen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think Dennis would have been closer to Ganna and around half way between Ganna's time and Campanaerts had he not hammered himself into the ground during Stelvio and Sestriere. I am also baffled how Tao lost so much time to Hindley on the stage 1 TT with the downhill sections helped by his slightly larger frame. Thomas must be sitting at home happy for his team, but this parcours was perfectly built for him. Generally I am in the camp of "anyone but Ineos" but I am partial to Great Britain and a Londoner riding for a British team had me cheering all the way on Stelvio, Sestriere and today. It must have been a fabulous day to be in Milano watching this unfold live. And you have to hand it to team Sunweb for "most exciting team" of 2020!!!

So we ended up with an Aussie former world champion (Dennis) hauling around an English kid to beat a fellow Aussie. Tough day for Hindley. You didn't want either guy losing today.

I wonder how hard Tao really went in the first TT - maybe just focusing on a steady effort and not taking any chances? Because...it's not like he was there to win the whole thing lol. And Hindley might have just gone a little harder, taken a couple more chances.

I was "anyone but Ineos" too but after the tour, then GT going out and seeming a little ragtag for a squad that hasn't had any bulletholes for years, I've found myself cheering for them in the Giro and the Vuelta. I blame 2020, I guess! Some new, young heroes coming into the fray for cycling though, pretty dang cool.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
My interest is coming to this forum to have an interactive discussion on some topics (it could be swimming, marathon running, triathlon, cycling). Without saying who the players are, I just said the thing is going into the equivalent of sudden death overtime.

So all you guys, following the Giro for three weeks, not participating in a discussion about the Giro, that's fine, but why are you coming to a forum to not interact about topics. If everyone views whatever event in realtime or a lag and there is no interaction about those events, then there's no forum anyway

As it stands, many of you chose to not discuss anything about the Giro for three weeks and then your only discussion is complain. It's like the fish thread. Only 5-10 people ever go in there and there are many interesting topics worthy of pulling other people in and if you just change the title (or start a thread specific to a swim topic) we will get more interaction (remember when we did a few monthly focuses, we got different people in).

With one day to go, we're never had a Grand Tour tied. I'm sorry but you actually don't know before going into this thread who it is although those in the know can guess. The rest, not following, well that's interesting.

Can we go back and talk about Campanaerts setting the provisional best time. We have Ganna is on the road now, Dennis to come. Dennis is going to be a bit fried, but Ganna should be good to go

Sure, I’ll answer. Because this is a well-known, unwritten rule when discussing sports results. You just don’t do it. And we are making a small example of you mostly so you or others don’t do it in the future for other events. Just apologize and move on. It isn’t a huge deal, but you continuing to try to justify it is making it a bigger deal than it warrants.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 25, 20 17:56
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a day with 4 World Hour record holders on deck (and two of them kind of off the back and two right behind the UCI world champion) and Tao who did not have the pink jersey all three weeks grabbing it on the 23rd day!

I have few friends based near Milano and Bergamo from my previous work and it must have just been fabulous to have this Giro go all the way from Palermo to Milano given all the people dying earlier this year from Covid19. With all the bumps and bruises, kudos to the organizers even if a few things were imperfect during a second round of this pandemic ramping now at 20K cases per day (France was at 10K per day ending the TdF they are 40K per day now).

My first Giro was watching live in the Dolomites in 1985 on the stage that was going between somewhere near Bolzano and Val Gardena when we were riding from Cortina d'Ampezzo to Innsbruck on a self supported bike tour....Moser, Hinault, Saronni and crew all blew by. Biking around Italy during the Giro, I don't recall ever buying dinner, we just got treated to dinner in the restaurants every evening on account of pulling in on our bikes to watch the live coverage!

In terms of the discussion on spoilers and all that, maybe we can take it offline now. We're just going to have different points of view on the internet in 2020.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This isn’t a me and you issue. I have no issue with you personally. You’re a valuable contributor to the forum. The forum masses will decide whether they are okay with title threaded spoilers. My vote/opinion doesn’t count more than anyone else.
Quote Reply

Prev Next