Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa wait, didn't you just turn it to "giro gets cancelled due to covid" to "giro gets cancelled due to snow"?!

But really, I am hopeful too, I just am setting my own expectations here.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giro won’t be cancelled due to snow, But it’s a real risk, that the Big mountain stages will at least use a different route.
I dont see Nibali take the win - he sits on Fuglsang like he did on roglic last year, so someone else Will take it. That’s bad news for Fuglsang as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Whoa wait, didn't you just turn it to "giro gets cancelled due to covid" to "giro gets cancelled due to snow"?!

But really, I am hopeful too, I just am setting my own expectations here.

More like "Giro gets rerouted due to snow".

Here is the webcam today at 3 pm European time (time to take the skis out):

Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just read that one of the Alpine stages may take the route over Finistre to Sestriere. That's the Froome assault route.

It still tops out at around 2200m and could have snow in Oct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I kind of lost interest in the Giro with the sprinter stuff all wrapped up by Demare and the GC without Thomas and Kruiswijk and Yates. But starting yesterday to next weekend with two TT's and all these mountains its going to be insane.

Interestingly the link that I posted to the Stelvio webcam updates whenever you reload (vs a static link to a former image). 4 days to Stelvio and the road is actually clear of snow. It is full blown ski season at the resort through.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a long time ago that I saw a mountain stage where really surprises happened, one after the other of the General Ranking riders could not keep up on the last climb. I guess I have to be a fan of Kelderman (because I'm Dutch) but I must say I did not hear of him until this Giro, although he is already a long time in the professional peloton.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Oct 18, 20 23:44
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great win from Geoghegan Hart yesterday, Sunweb did all the work for him and he crushed Kelderman in the last 200m. Also enjoying the commentary from Declan Quigly and Matt Stephens.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
Great win from Geoghegan Hart yesterday, Sunweb did all the work for him and he crushed Kelderman in the last 200m. Also enjoying the commentary from Declan Quigly and Matt Stephens.

Also Geoghegan Hart has moved way up the GC. Nibali keeps leaking away time at every opportunity you could leak ten seconds here, 5 there, 20 there on top of the TT loss he's managed to lose another 2+ min where he should not as a GC hope (same with Fuglsang):

1Joao Almeida (Por) Deceuninck-Quickstep59:27:382Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Team Sunweb0:00:153Jai Hindley (Aus) Team Sunweb0:02:564Tao Geoghegan Hart (GBr) Ineos Grenadiers0:02:575Pello Bilbao (Spa) Bahrain McLaren0:03:106Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe0:03:187Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Trek-Segafredo0:03:298Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) NTT Pro Cycling0:03:509Patrick Konrad (Aut) Bora-Hansgrohe0:04:0910Fausto Masnada (Ita) Deceuninck-Quickstep0:04:1211Brandon McNulty (USA) UAE Team Emirates0:04:2912Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team0:05:07
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three days to go and Stelvio summit is wet but clear of snow:

I think I will book Thursday morning of vacation to sit on the trainer and ride Stelvio virtually with Nibali and crew. I really hope it goes off. I really love it when the Giro goes up Stelvio/Mortirolo/Gavia in and around Bormio.

Anyone have an update on talk of a reroute up Finestre to Sestriere later in the week?

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow Nibalis day on the descent from the Stelvio?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stage 20 has been changed.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-french-covid-19-rules-mean-agnello-and-izoard-cut-from-stage-20/

COVID-19 restrictions in France have forced the organisers of the Giro d'Italia to massively change Saturday's final mountain stage to Sestriere.
The race will no longer climb the 2744m-high Colle dell'Agnello and cross into France for the Col d'Izoard, instead climbing to Sestriere three times.
The new 181-kilometre stage will include around 4,000 metres of climbing on wider, faster roads instead of the 5,500 vertical metres of the original 198km route.

This year's Giro could use a little spicing up. I'm not sure this will do that, but here's hoping.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Tomorrow Nibalis day on the descent from the Stelvio?

Looks like a perfect day (for Nov) on Stelvio. Clear and roads are dry. One of the Flobikes guys did the course recce ride yesterday and it looks awesome. Road is clear. Nibali was pretty awesome on the Stelvio descent in 2017. Then after that they have a 10km climb at 7% to the finish, but this does not tell the full tale (the 7%) because it starts at Bormio, already at 1600m up, so if I recall it ends around 2300m so after a long day with thin air and being chilled after descending Stelvio, there may be some casualties. I think there are major shifts in the top 5 after Thursday!

Here from cyclingnews.com:

race leader JoĂŁo Almeida (Deceuninck-QuickStep)...carries the maglia rosa into stage 18 with a slender 17-second lead over Wilco Kelderman (Sunweb) and an advantage of almost three minutes over Jai Hindley (Sunweb) and Tao Geoghegan Hart (Ineos Grenadiers), while Nibali lies 3:31 down in seventh place overall.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like things have totally blown apart on Stelvio. Summit is snow free. Should be a fast descent to Bormio. No Andy Hampsten Gavia snowstorm replica day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Looks like things have totally blown apart on Stelvio. Summit is snow free. Should be a fast descent to Bormio. No Andy Hampsten Gavia snowstorm replica day

A "how do I get my jacket on" day instead.

Very exciting.
Looks like Tao and Hindley have the momentum.
But I really can not say already Kelderman has lost. There is not only the mountain stage Saturday (less hard than today ?) but
also the TT on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Saturday will be bonkers, I am sure that Ineos will try to blow it to shreds.
We will see if Wilco just had a bad day or if his form is really on the way down.
It all might down to the TT just like at the Tour.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to a Dutch newspaper Kelderman said it has been the hardest day of his life in which he had suffered tremendously.

Todays stage of 258 km has been shortened after protests of the riders, according to the same newspaper (Telegraaf). It says it will be only 100 km. Starting at 13:30.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Oct 23, 20 3:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw on Flobikes that Adam Hansen lead the rider's protest to have it reduced to 131km. That totally changes the racing today, but also the next few days as the recovery will be faster. What an epic day on Stelvio yesterday. It was straight up manno manno racing. None of this silly Ineos or Jumbo train business. It was another day when Nibali could have vaulted up if he had the fitness and legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
I think Saturday will be bonkers, I am sure that Ineos will try to blow it to shreds.
We will see if Wilco just had a bad day or if his form is really on the way down.

This is really shaping up to be an excellent final week. Saturday + Sunday will be awesome with the modified mountain stage and ITT in Milano. Looks like now that France had their post Covid19 party they want to keep the other races off of the Aubisque+Tourmalet+Izouard. Bummer that Vuelta is losing Aubisque + Tourmalet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:

Well you called it. I really enjoyed the triple loop around Sestreire...I really need to go ride it.

Bummer for Kelderman. Everyone hates Ineos but you gotta love it t when the tour de France winner drops out and the helper boys step up to win stages and then magically one of the your helpers is in a dead tie going into the final stage ITT for the overall win. I don't think Kelderman can close the gap on Tao and I don't think Jai Hindley can out TT Tao but that's why we race the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will be very exciting tomorrow!

Also, could we please avoid having spoilers in the subject line of threads on bike races? Not everyone manages to see the live sessions (especially when there are two grand tours simultaneously).
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [slow_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slow_bob wrote:

Also, could we please avoid having spoilers in the subject line of threads on bike races? Not everyone manages to see the live sessions (especially when there are two grand tours simultaneously.

Seriously...It’s like amateur hour around here!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously? Spoilers are not okay. Next time leave the thread title alone and don't ruin it for those of us that didn't watch it live. Then people that haven't watched yet don't get the result spoiled, and those that want to read the thread can find out what happened when they open it.

Totally uncool.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
slow_bob wrote:

Also, could we please avoid having spoilers in the subject line of threads on bike races? Not everyone manages to see the live sessions (especially when there are two grand tours simultaneously.

Seriously...It’s like amateur hour around here!

Hey, this is 2020, not 1999, but even if you got on the internet and hoped to avoid any kind of news (be it a sports event or otherwise), you don't know how who is tied from the title. For all we know from the title, Nibali and Fuglsand launched from way out, and made up 6 minutes with Nibali then gapping Fuglsang for an additional minute (now that would have been crazy).

In any case rather than complain, who do you think ends up taking this. Jai won the ITT in Palermo, but that's a hard one to really judge based on winds everywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK but how do you know from the title who is tied? You don't know the players who may be tied. Its just setting the stage for tomorrow, without revealing who those players are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
OK but how do you know from the title who is tied? You don't know the players who may be tied. Its just setting the stage for tomorrow, without revealing who those players are.

Because if you have an elementary understanding of how the GC works, and been paying an ounce of attention, it's plainly obvious.

Just because you can be a twunt and ruin things for everyone else doesn't mean you should..
Quote Reply

Prev Next