Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For USA-based viewers, Fubo.tv's cycling pass for the rest of the year, including the Giro, is $60. I found an American Express special merchant offer for Fubo.tv attached to one of my AmEx credit cards that brought it down to $40.

I'm watching the opening press conference now and wonder why no one warned me it contained an interpretive dance segment. (I am not kidding)
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velogames league is up to 4 teams

League ID : 652293710
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 weeks are hard to predict given the volatility of the pandemic and current trends in Western Europe. But after having spent the last week in Italy the situation is much more relaxed now compared to spring. And some people I spoke to mirror what I read about the world championships - the nation is proud to shed the image of being the country which brought corona to Europe and instead become a place which can manage large scale events in such circumstances.

The weather/snow situation is much more interesting from a tactical point of view. Do you wait until the mountain passes in the last week to attack knowing that they might not come?

This would be an interesting concept for a long tour - just stating that there will be a specific amount of time trials or mountain stages, but keeping the detailed routes secret until the day they will be ridden.
Last edited by: Strobes27: Oct 2, 20 22:04
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [Strobes27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like your idea of daily mystery routes. That would drive the marginal gains crowd nuts having something so far outside of their control.

What I want to know is if this is going to be a Grand Tour for the geezers now that Remco isn’t there or is there some other young punk who will show up and slay all?

I think the solid money is on Thomas because there are so many TTs. I would like to see Fuglsang or Kriewswik finally win a Tour. Nibali can alway surprise and he is an exciting rider, but he hasn’t shown that he has what it takes for a couple years.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [Strobes27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there are plenty of climbs near Stelvio in the Bormio area that are optional backups that there will be plenty of climbs, it just might not be Stelvio at 2700m. For example this Stage 17 profile from Bassano del Grappa to Madonna di Campiglio you have nothing over 1700m meaning its likely to be snow free even late in Oct.

Here is the route map for the Stelvio stage leaving from Udine. There are several options from there, that could take in Motirolo and come back to Bormio without getting too high vertically and then ending up partway up Stelivio (ex intersection with Umbrailpass road @2400m.

In any case there should be several lower elevation options
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
mrlobber wrote:

Most of us really don't care about bikes or names of bike. Do you remember what bike Indurain won each of his 5 Tours on or when Pantani did the Giro + TdF double? No one remembers bikes, just what the athletes did.

I don't know about that...I remember the Cannondale's that Cipollini won and some wild paint jobs, the Trek's (or rebadged Litespeed's that Armstrong rode) or the Litespeed Vortex that Virenque, Pantani's bianchi...I find the tech/bikes of the world tour interesting. The special paint for people like Sagan or Cavendish's awesome green/silver fade Cervelo S5 in the 2017 tour. Cancellara winning the Specialized and then moving to Trek.

I think the EF bike is cool and great to see changes other than conformity all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [bet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the immediate interest in the equipment but that's like the eye candy or who is wearing what clothes at the Oscars.

No one remembers the clothing.

People remember how Pantani or Coppi or Moser or Hinault won the Giro....or we remember how Menchov crashed on the final day Rome ITT and the mechanic jumped out of the car and had him on a spare bike seconds later. Does anyone remember what bike Menchov won on?

I totally get the marketing angle but over time it's kind of forgettable. I also understand it's not a popular position on ST....I do remember what bike Giuseppe Saronni was on when he won the Giro but that's cause he is a member of the board of team UAE and the same brand is under Pogacar this year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I get the immediate interest in the equipment but that's like the eye candy or who is wearing what clothes at the Oscars.

No one remembers the clothing.
I don't know what the award was, but I remember this dress.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally remember Cipo's bright red Cannondales, Pantani's Yellow and Green Bianchi's and Lance Red, white & Blue Trek's.
And I'm pretty sure Menchov was on a Colnago.
This is all just off the top of my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a pretty dress!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice to see Sagan bridging up to the lead group on the final climb today and logging some points for second in the sprint. I would have thought this finish was perfect for Michael Matthews:

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 4, 20 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Test tomorrow for Nibali and Fuglsang if they can get some time back on Yates and Thomas.

Etna's stats are a bit easier than Alpe d'Huez but a bit longer so it climbs around 200m more with some 13% in the final few km

Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
I totally remember Cipo's bright red Cannondales, Pantani's Yellow and Green Bianchi's and Lance Red, white & Blue Trek's.
And I'm pretty sure Menchov was on a Colnago.
This is all just off the top of my head.
Who can forget the Cipo skinsuit? I don't remember who won the Giro that year, but his skinsuit was memorable.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev ,
Flo bikes were accommodating with a 30% discount after I reached out to them .
My case was thatI under the impression I could cancel at anytime and not be tied to a 1year subscription.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I will keep that in mind for when I go to cancel (or not).

OK what a crazy day. Thomas crashes and loses 12 minutes, Yates has a "jour sans" and loses 4.5 minutes after being on fire at Tirenno Adriatico and the ITT too where he had a good day.

Does anyone have an status on Thomas?

Nibali and Fuglsang, Kruijswijk are the big GC winners today (and maybe Kelderman too). Yates is down 3:46 now. Its not the end of his Giro, but its a big hole.

For tomorrow, this climb looks like something guys like Matthews and Sagan can get over...or there is a breakaway:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to this video: https://twitter.com/.../1313114965620994051

Go to 20, 21, and 22 seconds. Advance it frame by frame and you can see a random water bottle on the road that Thomas hits. There is no way he would have seen it. It literally came out of nowhere and either got ejected from another rider, or a spectator. Once his front wheel hits it, he has no chance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty hard crash for Thomas considering they were still in the neutral zone. No broken bones apparently, but his left hip must be sore. I hope he continues tomorrow, but I wouldn't bet on it.

All of the sprinters should make it over the climb tomorrow. I'll go with Gaviria for the stage win.

It will be interesting to see what Bora does. Work for Sagan to get stage wins and the points jersey? Save something to help Majka get a final GC result?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Well its kind of exciting seeing the Giro going South to North in October. Normally the big climbs in the Dolomites and Alps are in the last week of May to allow for things to warm up so riders are not riding through snow (well minus Hampsten's win on Gavia in 1989)

1988. And Erik Breukink won that stage by seven seconds. But Hampsten was second and earned the pink jersey. He went on to win the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Pretty hard crash for Thomas considering they were still in the neutral zone. No broken bones apparently, but his left hip must be sore. I hope he continues tomorrow, but I wouldn't bet on it.

All of the sprinters should make it over the climb tomorrow. I'll go with Gaviria for the stage win.

It will be interesting to see what Bora does. Work for Sagan to get stage wins and the points jersey? Save something to help Majka get a final GC result?

I have my years mixed up. I was riding in the Pyrannees on May of 1988 when Hampsten won on Gavia! By the way if you have not read it, here is an article about that day entitled, "the day the strong men cried":

https://tourdivide.org/strong_men_cried

By the way, here is the link to the webcam on Stelvio:

https://www.snow-forecast.com/...rjoch/webcams/latest

It is bone dry, but a lot of snow in forecast from now till 18 Oct. Let's see
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Sagan almost ended his drought of wins and now tomorrow we have a mountain stage that is pretty long 225km with the final 25km climbing coming between 188km and 213km.....then I read it is a technical descent to the finish. Probably wide open on the GC after tomorrow:

This stage should be built for Nibali with the techincal descent to the finish! Fingers crossed for no rain. They are done in Sicily and move to the mainland now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shot in the dark pick for tomorrow. Ulissi is 16 minutes down on the GC. He gets into the break, grits his teeth to survive the final climb, and wins his 2nd stage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Catching up on all my cycling news for the day. What a day for Ganna

Here is a good write up from cycling stages. Looks like a breakway day? GC should stay roughly the same. The last 6 km is kind of rolling. From km 3 to km 2 remaining there is steep enough climbing that it should break into single sprinters, but no major leadouts. It looks decent for the likes of Sagan and Matthews.

GIRO 2020 ROUTE STAGE 6: CASTROVILLARI - MATERA

Most climbing is clustered in the first half of the race. Almost from the gun the route goes uphill, which is likely to serve as a launch pad for the breakaway. The gradients are relatively shallow, so all types of riders could be in the mix.
After 20 kilometres the riders reach the highest point before a long descent leads onto the next climb. The length is approximately 13 kilometres and the gradients are – again – doable at around 4%. Another descent leads onto a flat intermediate phase.
The steepest climb of the day appears with roughly 30 kilometres remaining. The 6 kilometres ascent slopes at 6% before a gradual downhill ushers in the last 10 kilometres of the race. Which runs predominantly false flat uphill.
The 2013 Giro d’Italia served a finish in Matera after a flat stage. John Degenkolb took the spoils in a crash marked sprint finale.
Matera is a fascinating place. It has been inhabited from Paleolithic times to this day and it is extremely photogenic. Dozens of movies have been short here, including the new James Bond: No time to die.
Two intermediate sprints – at kilometre 62.1 and 135.1 – come with 3, 2 and 1 seconds each, while the first three riders on the line gain time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed watching live all week. Work get in the way every day, but some of the replays have been nice. With Thomas out of the GC its a bit less interesting and now Yates ends up with a Covid19 positive test and he is out (and it explains his horrible climb up Mt. Etna). Demarre may wrap up the Points jersey at the rate he is going (and shutting out Sagan who is winless in a few years now). Today's win by Dowsett was awesome. A guy with no contract and whose wife expecting a child. Hopefully that makes his attractive for next year to other teams. I think Israel Startup Nation should keep him.

Tomorrow is a GC day. I am cheering for Nibali.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When does this thread turn into predictions of when it gets shut down due to COVID? #NegativeNancy

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Giro d'Italia Oct 3-25 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I would rather discuss how there is 45km of TTing left and of the GC folks out there, there is no TT king who can take the giro on the TT.

Or let's talk about the stelvio pass weather:

Kruiswijk hopefully stays out of snow banks in the Dolomites and Alps on week 3.

here is what the top of Stelvio Pass Looks like exactly now from the webcam at the top of the pass, Looks like 4 inches of snow on the tarmac and minus 8C. Perfect skate skiing weather.

Quote Reply

Prev Next