Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giro Vanquish aero data
Quote | Reply
I'm considering the Giro Vanquish, as I'm looking for an (fairly) aero helmet for 70.3, without necessarily being full blown "best above 50km/h" long tailed TT helmet. But I consider it a must that it has MIPS and I would like to have the visor option and the Vanquis ticks those boxes.

Though it is a fairly old lid, I can't seem to find a lot of real-world aero data on the Giro Vanquish. Has any of you tested it? Did it do alright? Was it very position dependent?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Vanquish aero data [FlemmingM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure what qualifies as “real world data” but Giro published estimates when the helmet first came out.

http://aerogeeks.com/...anquish-mips-review/

“Only” 74 seconds slower than a regular Aerohead over a full IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you believe this and the Giro claims the Vanquish is just over a minute slower than an Aerohead over an Ironman. I train in one with the visor, race in hot races and love the helmet. You can't go wrong with one IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling Weekly did a test with Aerocoach and there was a video. It wasn’t a killer helmet, but it ticks all your other boxes and it doesn’t suck. If you like the visor though, I wouldn’t shy away from a real TT helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Vanquish aero data [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Cycling Weekly did a test with Aerocoach and there was a video. It wasn’t a killer helmet, but it ticks all your other boxes and it doesn’t suck. If you like the visor though, I wouldn’t shy away from a real TT helmet.

Outside of that test we’d done some other work with similar results - in fact I had a road bike TT I was training for and the choice got narrowed down to a Specialized Evade or a Vanquish for me, and I ended up choosing the Vanquish because I wanted the visor. The Evade was marginally faster on me.

If you want a visored helmet then I agree with the above, a full blown TT helmet will be faster and you can always buy a much cheaper helmet for training if you like?

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Vanquish aero data [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I’m not sure what qualifies as “real world data” but Giro published estimates when the helmet first came out.

“Only” 74 seconds slower than a regular Aerohead over a full IM.

To me real world data is results that do not originate from the manufacturer.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Vanquish aero data [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Outside of that test we’d done some other work with similar results - in fact I had a road bike TT I was training for and the choice got narrowed down to a Specialized Evade or a Vanquish for me, and I ended up choosing the Vanquish because I wanted the visor. The Evade was marginally faster on me.

If you want a visored helmet then I agree with the above, a full blown TT helmet will be faster and you can always buy a much cheaper helmet for training if you like?

I've seen the Cycling Weekly test, but I don't think the results are valid for my use-case; they tested road bike, with either hand posistion top of handlebar or straight arms in the drops, and without the visor.
I would be using it on tri bike with visor.

I started looking at full blown TT helmets, but I do not find many with both MIPS and visor. The Smith Podium was my initial candidate, but in the tests, I've seen, it isn't that fast, which made me look at Vanquish.
Quote Reply