Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro SLX Laces [sooners175] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sooners175 wrote:
Definitely not too tight. Getting out of them is no issue. For setup, I rubber band them to the front mech and rear skewer respectively. However, the opening is so small that when I mount, I don't slip my feet right in. That would be ideal I guess, but I also like to get away from the bike mount line ASAP, so I pedal with my feet on top of the shoes. By that point, the rubber bands have broken, obviously. From there it is pretty tricky to get my toes in as the shoe is dangling. Mostely due to the size of the opening which creates another problem...... when I try to get my toes in, the shoe just spins back towards me with the pedal. A heel loop might help, but I think my major issue is the size of the opening. Some of the zipper mods seen on here are cool, but I have a pair of factor techlace's that I would modify before I went that route. Like Boris Steins, but I would probably remove the laces too.

Personally, I try to get one foot in the shoe, which I can do from the mount line and the other foot stays on top. I have learned to let the shoe dangle down and scoop it with my toes for the other foot once I get going. Sometimes I get both feet in like in the following pic. Jesse was actually ahead of me out of the swim and ran faster thru transition than I did. He put the arm warmers on as he was running thru transition.
I did have to reach down at a corner and pull up the heal tab as I kind of smooshed it a bit.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Nov 6, 17 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, he's staring you down!

How high do you lace them up. In other words, how many eyelets are exposed at the top?

Ideal is getting feet in on the mount. At least one foot, like you said. If you don't, it makes it that much harder because you just flatten out the shoes with your feet.

Thanks for all the feed back, btw!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my effort - thanks for the inspiration on this thread.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ni31mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you people doing the zippers get the 'tightness' dialed in? I find the shoes pretty uncomfortable unless they are relatively loose. I'd like to do the zipper thing, just nervous they will end up being too tight.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glorious

ni31mo wrote:
Here's my effort - thanks for the inspiration on this thread.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To get the fit feeling OK, I started by sewing the non-zip side of the tongue to the shoe. Then I sewed the zip to the other side of the shoe. Finally I started removing slices of the tongue and then holding it all in place to see how it felt. I didn't see the point in making it too tight, but will be using the shoes over the winter on the track to make sure they are really comfortable before the first tri of the season in May. Hopefully won't need to make any adjustments...!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you attach the heel loop? Shoe place told me they couldn't sew through the heel and glue wouldn't hold.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [sooners175] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just sewed it - I actually used two adjacent ventilation holes and went in through one and back out through the other, but I'm sure you could go through the leather easily enough too with a slightly curved leather needle. I didn't go all the way through to the inside of the shoe, just underneath the outer white leather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very Nice! Yes i would be worried about having them to tight to.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A tad off topic but I am curious how everyone goes about keeping their shoes nice and clean. I have been taking the time to wipe them down after each ride. However recently as its turned colder I have been wearing shoe covers over them and I'm pissed to have noticed the red interior of my shoe covers are starting to stain the white leather.

Anyone care to share their cleaning methods?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And talented. I would botch it. I would botch it bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [gerardm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine are still sort of clean because theyÂ’re Race only shoes. So that helps!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gerardm wrote:
A tad off topic but I am curious how everyone goes about keeping their shoes nice and clean. I have been taking the time to wipe them down after each ride. However recently as its turned colder I have been wearing shoe covers over them and I'm pissed to have noticed the red interior of my shoe covers are starting to stain the white leather.

No comment, I have white leather too. They don't look too bad for no cleaning and for being WHITE to boot!!!

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used elastic material to attach the zipper. That way it sits snug and even on you foot. It also allows some swelling of the foot because of the stretch.

For me this works well for hours of endurance riding as well as in 1000+ watts all out sprints and everything in between.

-Aku
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [aoja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This forum is so nerdish that this thread has more than 200 posts only dealing with laces of a special type of shoe of a special brand.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Dec 6, 17 23:30
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:

Ok so i did switch to fast laces, cut out the tongue, love the feel and fit. Question: how did you hide more of the laces? Mine don't look that "aero." Thanks!

lol what a fucking mess! #dogsbreakfast
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey we all have to start somewhere, sometimes the only place to go is up. Looks like your still leaning how to use sealant in 2017, hope my laces have helped you in some way to :-) (sorry its early and i would rather go back to bed then swim today to much negativity in the world this week)

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Dec 7, 17 3:19
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Hey we all have to start somewhere, sometimes the only place to go is up. Looks like your still leaning how to use sealant in 2017, hope my laces have helped you in some way to :-) (sorry its early and i would rather go back to bed then swim today to much negativity in the world this week)

All good. It’s probably something I would do :) just made me chuckle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If you are talking about the Giro Empire shoes, and keeping them clean - three things:

1) Switch to the black laces - the cloth laces are hard to keep really clean and white. The black ones never show the dirt and always look black! (If using elastic laces for triathlon - go with black)

2. The fabric that Giro uses on the Empire shoes is amazing. It wipes clean, from mud and dirt with damp cloth. Make sure you do this right away when you do get back from a ride where the shoes get dirty.

3. When you know you will be riding in dirty conditions use shoe covers. I'm a big fan of the DeFeet Slipstream shoe covers. I have a couple of pair of the black ones. They pick up the dirt, when riding in dirty conditions, not the shoes. I just toss the Slipstream shoe covers in the wash after the ride.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Not to reinvent the wheel.
This was my solution. Hope it helps.

Revival.

Need a little help.

This laces are the same? I need it in black.

https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-9531B-Braided-Elastic-6-Yard/dp/B004CTR3VO/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1516969756&sr=1-1&keywords=dritz+elastic+3%2F8+black
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [binhopires] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is kind of a ghetto solution, but I took a black Sharpie to my white elastic laces (they only had white at the Dollar Store):

Last edited by: surroundhound: Jan 26, 18 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [binhopires] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
binhopires wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Revival.

Need a little help.

https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-9531B-Braided-Elastic-6-Yard/dp/B004CTR3VO/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1516969756&sr=1-1&keywords=dritz+elastic+3%2F8+black

I can't honestly say for sure if it is the exact same as I am not sure what the difference between non-roll and roll is and the one you suggested which doesn't use that terminology. What I will say is there are many solutions to this problem and there is no right answer. For all I know this lace could be even better and there are always other creative uses for elastic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
binhopires wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Revival.

Need a little help.

I can't honestly say for sure if it is the exact same as I am not sure what the difference between non-roll and roll is and the one you suggested which doesn't use that terminology. What I will say is there are many solutions to this problem and there is no right answer. For all I know this lace could be even better and there are always other creative uses for elastic.

Thank you![/reply]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I really want is to see Cody Beals shoes in person! The way he has the tongue and Velcro looks VERY fast and easy to get in/out of as well. I know he is creative and specific with what he uses so I can't imagine he'd do something unless it was good.

Side note, I am getting ready to get my kit made for next year and you and Beals have me interested in just going with the rear zip suit since I believe both of you tested it to be the fastest suit. But I don't want to hijack this thread anymore.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next