Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro SLX Laces [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
Thomas and I were chatting about this shoe last week, I thought it was another decent option to split the difference beteeen aero and on the fly adjustability that might work well for T1 without modifying the shoe. The new Giro Factor Techlace.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...techlace-cycle-shoes

From an aero standpoint, I don't see how its any different than the specialized sworks road shoe.

A strap and two boas. Personally I would sacrifice a few grams of drag to make sure my foot wasn't moving around in the show during the pedal stroke.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Mar 16, 17 9:04
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could the specialized warp sleeve be used instead of laces ?

So I am thinking of removing the laces altogether and just using the
specialized warp sleeve to hold my foot in the Giro SLX shoe.

I'm a road bike guy and don't need to get into the shoe fast, but it seams like you could just fold it forward put your foot in and then fold it back.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Brian,

I just got a pair of the Giro Sentrie techlace which is one model below the Factor techlace. They are probably better suited for Triathlon's because the boa dial is a really fast exit style boa(you pop the boa up and then the boa completely loosens and you can just slide your foot out). You can micro click it to tighten but NO micro click to loosen.

The giro Factor techlace is micro click to tighten and micro click to loosen. So it will take a bit more time and effort to get out of it. The Factor is a few grams lighter and different style boa is the main difference between the 2 models.

We are missing the AZ sunshine but hopefully will be back in late October! We have the Giro Factor in stock at our store right now and they are pretty sweet!

Dalton

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:
Hi Brian,

I just got a pair of the Giro Sentrie techlace which is one model below the Factor techlace. They are probably better suited for Triathlon's because the boa dial is a really fast exit style boa(you pop the boa up and then the boa completely loosens and you can just slide your foot out). You can micro click it to tighten but NO micro click to loosen.

The giro Factor techlace is micro click to tighten and micro click to loosen. So it will take a bit more time and effort to get out of it. The Factor is a few grams lighter and different style boa is the main difference between the 2 models.

We are missing the AZ sunshine but hopefully will be back in late October! We have the Giro Factor in stock at our store right now and they are pretty sweet!

Dalton

Tanks Dalton, miss you guys!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what the stack is for the Empire SLX's? I tried reaching out to Giro but have yet to hear anything from them.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect. Thank you. Same as the PI tri fly octane's.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
stevej wrote:
Perfect. Thank you. Same as the PI tri fly octane's.

Are you sure about that. I thought my old PI octanes were 7.5mm but I could be wrong.

See...

http://www.pearlizumi.com/...LY_OCTANE/p/15312002

I do remember asking PI in an email and they confirmed it for me. I'll have to dig up the old email.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [KarlC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KarlC wrote:
Could the specialized warp sleeve be used instead of laces ?

So I am thinking of removing the laces altogether and just using the
specialized warp sleeve to hold my foot in the Giro SLX shoe.

I'm a road bike guy and don't need to get into the shoe fast, but it seams like you could just fold it forward put your foot in and then fold it back.

Any thoughts on this ??

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [KarlC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys are able to bike essentially with clogs and Crocs so as long as its tight enough and you can adjust it fast it would be fine.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Guys are able to bike essentially with clogs and Crocs .......

LOL

SLOWTWITCHCRUISER.COM
Last edited by: KarlC: Mar 22, 17 13:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raced in my slx's for the first time and I was surprised how easy/fast they were to get on and off. I actually felt like it was faster to get into them than the others around who were all in strapped shoes.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Raced in my slx's for the first time and I was surprised how easy/fast they were to get on and off. I actually felt like it was faster to get into them than the others around who were all in strapped shoes.

They are faster but like anything it takes a little bit of practice. Most have years and years of jumping into to strap shoes. You also have to get your lacing pattern and tension correct. I can get out of my shoes without even reaching down

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoe credit to Thomas Gerlach (original idea and the suggestion to leave half the tongue). Took them to my local shoe repair shop. He charged $16 and they turned out great. Will mess with the tension of the elastic, but am pleased with how they turned out.

Just in time for Giro to come out with their version 2 that will be copyright infringement on Gerlach's idea!

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Shoe credit to Thomas Gerlach (original idea and the suggestion to leave half the tongue). Took them to my local shoe repair shop. He charged $16 and they turned out great. Will mess with the tension of the elastic, but am pleased with how they turned out.

Just in time for Giro to come out with their version 2 that will be copyright infringement on Gerlach's idea!

Love it. Please leave some feedback to let me know how the idea works. I may have to send you a pair to take to your shoe guy!!!

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

Love it. Please leave some feedback to let me know how the idea works. I may have to send you a pair to take to your shoe guy!!!

I thought he would look at me like I was crazy...he was totally into it. I put the shoes on and he measured exactly the width I wanted the tongue sewn, so they weren't too loose/tight. He used some sort of remover to loosen the flap that holds the padding in the tongue, removed it and glued it back down. They look like they could have come from Giro like this. Now I am wondering what else I can get him to modify for me!!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [IM_Roycer81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post a picture of the inside of the tongue area?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ironcode] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironcode wrote:
Can you post a picture of the inside of the tongue area?

I can do that when I get home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The top photo he posted looks like they sewed a single 1/4" seam between eyelets 2-3 which seems adequate. The thing you don't want to happen while slipping on the shoes is to have the tongue roll down and fold under and that small seam should prevent that. I tried to hot glue gun my tongue in place but it didn't hold. Neither did SuperGlue. A rivet on each side probably would work. But I'll probably try the local shoe cobbler for a seam similar to Mike's. Or I'll remove the tongue altogether before my first race.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Apr 13, 17 15:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely wanted to prevent the tongue rolling down or folding up, like Timtek said. . The tongue is sewn into the shoe all the way around to keep it stable. You can see the thread around the opening of the shoe next to the tongue....it isn't between the eyelets.

Last edited by: Mike Alexander: Apr 13, 17 16:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow that looks great!!! can you ask y the shoe guy if doing that has a special name that i can ask my local guy besides bringing in pics

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
It doesn't pass my eyeball test for being super aero or easy to put on, but that's just me.

Agreed, seems to me like that manages to capture the worst of both worlds with the extra straps and mini-Boa...
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ck21trhc wrote:
wow that looks great!!! can you ask y the shoe guy if doing that has a special name that i can ask my local guy besides bringing in pics

Shooting you a PM with the shoe repair place....thats the only time I have been there. If you call and ask to speak to "the guy who did the cycling shoes" he will know what you are referring to! Can you post what he says?
Quote Reply

Prev Next