Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Bduke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a PSA for members of the military. Giro gives a very generous discount, but to be eligible, you have to sign up using your military email address to their prodeal program.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Not to reinvent the wheel. This was my solution. Hope it helps.

Put my own little spin on this with a pair on DMT Pista's. Total cost was under $80.[/img][/img]
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Spec may have recently added the Warp Sleeve to US inventory. I'll check with my local dealer.

http://brandscycle.com/product/specialized-sw-sub6-warp-sleeve-278669-1.htm

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shoes/sworks-sub6-warp-sleeve/117585
Last edited by: carlosflanders: Feb 27, 17 16:36
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
I have the Empire ACC which is pretty similar. They are not so easy to get into even with the tongue removed. At least compared to my Shimano tri shoes... I can get into those in 10 seconds after mounting. Maybe I just need to practice more :)

I'm not worried about the tongue... It's held by 5 stitches. I'm pretty sure I can get some shoe repair guy to re-attach it for $10.

As far as laces go, I recommend these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DFK6EXS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They stay flat and you can trim them to just right thanks to the end clips.

Here's how I set them up: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPJcRlWD51f

So I just cut the tongue and laced them up with the xpands (used all the holes). Did a ride a round the neighborhood and they are difficult to get in and out. I probably struggled more to get out of them. So whats the secret? Should I not use all the eyelets?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

So I just cut the tongue and laced them up with the xpands (used all the holes). Did a ride a round the neighborhood and they are difficult to get in and out. I probably struggled more to get out of them. So whats the secret? Should I not use all the eyelets?

are you using these rim clips of the xpands? You might want to try loosening them, you don't want the laces too tight for a variety of reason. Regardless, everyone should devote a good solid hour to practice getting into them and out of them.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just put some elastic laces in mine with the tongue still in but they do seem a bit difficult to get on. I might take them to a shoe place and have loops put in on the heel so I have something to grab to make it easier.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Been doing everything I can think of to stretch them out a tad bit.

Rock climbers will put bags of water in too-tight shoes and freeze them to stretch a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it took me a little bit to get used to them and getting out of them.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
APKTRI wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Not to reinvent the wheel. This was my solution. Hope it helps.

Put my own little spin on this with a pair on DMT Pista's. Total cost was under $80.[/img][/img]

Please explain more i like this!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
stevej wrote:

are you using these rim clips of the xpands? You might want to try loosening them, you don't want the laces too tight for a variety of reason. Regardless, everyone should devote a good solid hour to practice getting into them and out of them.

I'm using the clips with the holes that come with the xpands. Not planning on using the the bigger clips that attach to the end of the lace. I have the clip on the outside of the top eyelet. I'm going to try loosening them. Luckily I haven't cut the laces yet. I thought about it some more before going to bed and its very similar to using elastic laces in running shoes. Every time I lace up my running shoes for races, if it's hard to get in and out of, I loosen it up. Even if it feels a little too loose with the running shoe on, I'm fine and never notice it in a race. I'm just a bit OCD about my feet sliding around in biking shoes. I always feel like I'm losing so much power when my feet slide around.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [jon.isom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jon.isom wrote:
Quote:
Been doing everything I can think of to stretch them out a tad bit.

Rock climbers will put bags of water in too-tight shoes and freeze them to stretch a little.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. They are now very close to fitting like a glove or in this case like a sock.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This popped up the other day on IG - not laces but, AJ Baucco put zippers in his.
https://twitter.com/...s/840617718126641154

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought elastic shoelaces for my SLX, but hate the way they twist and roll.

I just ordered these laces, which will hopefully stay flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:

That's what I have in mine. I went straight across in the 2nd holes (from the toe). Then criss crossed from 4 to 6 to make an X at the top. Works well. I wish the overall top of the shoe was smoother though. the transition from shoe to foot isn't that great but that will be the case with any elastic laces.

I really like that zipper a couple posts up. I've thought about just sewing in a semi stretchy fabric with no zipper that would leave the top of the shoe super smooth, but haven't gotten around to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats pretty sweet

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:

Some people ask me about a similar concept by RipLaces, unfortunately it didn't work out, I do like the idea of these better, the thing with the RipLaces was that they were round + there were two laces per side per eyelet instead of 1 which created a lot more friction and were much hard to get into IMO>

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:

I really like these, they come in different sizes the key may be getting the right size, let us know how they work out.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
d00d wrote:

Some people ask me about a similar concept by RipLaces, unfortunately it didn't work out, I do like the idea of these better, the thing with the RipLaces was that they were round + there were two laces per side per eyelet instead of 1 which created a lot more friction and were much hard to get into IMO>

These "laces" are flat, with a rough side and smooth side. Once I get a chance, I'm going to see how they workout and will then report back. I'm hoping this solves the issue I had with the elastic laces. They kept rolling/twisting and were never flat on the shoe, therefore making them round near the top of the shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
d00d wrote:

These "laces" are flat, with a rough side and smooth side. Once I get a chance, I'm going to see how they workout and will then report back. I'm hoping this solves the issue I had with the elastic laces. They kept rolling/twisting and were never flat on the shoe, therefore making them round near the top of the shoe.

Yep that is definitely one minor issue with the elastic. They tend to straighten it all out before a race, otherwise just deal with it. I think every solution is going to have some minor pluses and minuses.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas and I were chatting about this shoe last week, I thought it was another decent option to split the difference beteeen aero and on the fly adjustability that might work well for T1 without modifying the shoe. The new Giro Factor Techlace.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...techlace-cycle-shoes

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Mar 16, 17 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That does look nice. I do really like AJ's zipper idea though if you can get the right fit with the zipper. I ordered some flat elastic laces and will take my shoes to a repair person to put on a loop on the heel and probably take the tongue off and see how easy they are with those adjustments. My issue with the lock laces now is they don't seem tight enough but truthfully I can't really tell if I am losing anything when riding, which I don't think I would be. I will test mine out and see how they are. They are really slick and comfy shoes though.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't pass my eyeball test for being super aero or easy to put on, but that's just me.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Thomas and I were chatting about this shoe last week, I thought it was another decent option to split the difference beteeen aero and on the fly adjustability that might work well for T1 without modifying the shoe. The new Giro Factor Techlace.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...techlace-cycle-shoes

From an aero standpoint, I don't see how its any different than the specialized sworks road shoe.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
It doesn't pass my eyeball test for being super aero or easy to put on, but that's just me.

Well certainly easier to quickly tighten while on the move relative to using a lace only system. And it's devoid of the bulky Velcro straps which most shoes have. The Boa would allow for the mouth of the shoe to be opened wide and quickly ratchets down. Same with the lace system, you can have the two side buckles opened to allow for the laces to be released and then locked down once the shoe is on.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply

Prev Next