Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro SLX Laces [kennick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kennick wrote:
Hey guys! I am thinking about that for quiet a while now and probably want to do the same, but without cutting out the whole tongue. Has anyone tried to cut out pieces or just do some cuts into the tongue. Then threading the elastic laces through the cuts, symmetrical or three times per "thread" so the tongue is being hold into place by the laces all the time?

I hope you understand what I mean
Greetings from Germany
Nick

I would love to see what you come up with. I have a second pair of SLXs, that I am planning on playing with. I was partially thinking of only removing 3/4 of the tongue and possibly sewing the bottom 1/4 into a fixed position.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might have answered this and sorry if you did but...how do these fit compared to you PIs? Searching the internet for best deal but want to make sure I get the correct size.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
You might have answered this and sorry if you did but...how do these fit compared to you PIs? Searching the internet for best deal but want to make sure I get the correct size.

about the same size. I was the same listed shoe size in both.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect. Thanks again! And if I can save 5-10 watts for these shoes I will buy you a beer if we race each other. Debating Maidson 70.3 but not sure.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Perfect. Thanks again! And if I can save 5-10 watts for these shoes I will buy you a beer if we race each other. Debating Maidson 70.3 but not sure.

No beers for me generally, but maybe I might make an exception post 70.3 if it is nice sunny day and we can sit on the UNION Terrace.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deal!

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jrielley wrote:

No beers for me generally, but maybe I might make an exception post 70.3 if it is nice sunny day and we can sit on the UNION Terrace.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi TG,

No, not really - I was kind of wondering why someone (i.e. Giro lol) didn't make a tri specific / aero shoe, all the features are out there (either past or present).

I wonder if they actually keep an eye on what people do with their kit and bear it in mind with future designs ?

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Meek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meek wrote:
Anybody thinking of the Empire SLX or SUB6 the fit is completely different at least in a 47. Huge toe box in Sub6, tight in SLX. SLX runs small, Sub6 runs big. Heel tough to get on quickly with Sub6 as it is molded and unforgiving like a car seat with big bolsters. Both have excellent power transfer. Both also come with ridiculously long laces and low stack height.

I haven't tried the SUB6 but I also found the SLX to run smaller than expected, at least in a size 46. I ended up returning them and getting a really good deal on a pair of the LG Signature 84 that are a better fit for my foot.

That said, I really liked the construction of the SLX. The tongue of the LG 84 is very different than the tongue in the SLX. The tongue of the SLX is one piece of the same material, and it's very smooth and weighs almost nothing. The tongue of the LG 84 has a central strip that's smooth like the outside of the shoe but it's stitched into some other, more padded and bulkier fabric on the sides (I can post pics tonight if interested). The reason I bring it up is because I had been thinking of attaching the tongue to the top of the shoe to cover the laces, using some combination of stitching and velcro to make it easy to open and close. But after taking the tongue out there's no way I want to use it to cover the top – I'm pretty sure most of the aero gains would be lost because of the different fabrics and bulkier construction of the tongue. So instead I ordered some Sweet Spot lace covers and will see what I can do with those.

On a related note, anyone who cut out the tongue of their SLX and was going to throw it away I'd be happy to take it off your hands for you. Preferably something in a size 45+.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:

Ok so i did switch to fast laces, cut out the tongue, love the feel and fit. Question: how did you hide more of the laces? Mine don't look that "aero." Thanks!

I got Specialized Warp sleeves and got rid of the laces on my LG L.A. 84s (cheap alternative to the Giro's). I can get into the shoes in about 25 secs incl. getting rid of wrinkles on the sleeves. With the tongue removed (I haven't), you can prolly do better. Flying mount is out of the question though.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you post picture of that?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some pics attached ... 2nd attempt

I fold over the warp sleeve to expose the top of the tongue, otherwise it's too tight to get in. With the sleeve folded over, it's easy to open the shoe to get in (pic 2, using only one hand to widen the shoe). Third pic is the end product after straightening out the wrinkles.

Last edited by: Hoffmeister: Jan 25, 17 8:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Part of me, wishes I kept this a secret, but that isn't like me, I like to share my passion.

I'm a little late to the party, but thanks ... much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so you run those with no laces?
Also how is your cleat positioned? I use mid foot so not sure if that will work out

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ck21trhc wrote:
so you run those with no laces?
Also how is your cleat positioned? I use mid foot so not sure if that will work out

Yes, but I will probably put a small elastic lace in there to connect the latch on the tongue to 2 of the lace holes to keep the tongue in place when entering with wet feet. Will probably try this in a B or C race first before I would consider removing the tongue.

My cleat position is pretty vanilla ... I am not an expert on mid foot cleat positioning and whether the LG can facilitate it, but any further back I think I would have to take off the cleats and put the end of the sleeves under the cleats - which may not be a bad thing.

Last edited by: Hoffmeister: Jan 25, 17 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know how the Giro SLX sizes compare to Shimano? I've got a pair of 44 TR-51s...
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
Anyone know how the Giro SLX sizes compare to Shimano? I've got a pair of 44 TR-51s...

You might be a half a size smaller in the Giro SLX. I typically wore a 43 in Shimano and 42.5 in nearly everything else.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What material is the warp sleeve made of? I could imagine it being like a swim cap, or is it cotton/lycra-like?
Can you expand it? So I can buy one blind (size down) and don't have to worry so much about sizing?

Greets
Nick

sent from my iPhone
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear 48 in both the TR51's and the Giro, so I reckon they are pretty similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
kennick wrote:
Hey guys! I am thinking about that for quiet a while now and probably want to do the same, but without cutting out the whole tongue. Has anyone tried to cut out pieces or just do some cuts into the tongue. Then threading the elastic laces through the cuts, symmetrical or three times per "thread" so the tongue is being hold into place by the laces all the time?

I hope you understand what I mean
Greetings from Germany
Nick

I would love to see what you come up with. I have a second pair of SLXs, that I am planning on playing with. I was partially thinking of only removing 3/4 of the tongue and possibly sewing the bottom 1/4 into a fixed position.

Thomas -- Have you tired or considered bontrager's lace up shoe? The top button might let you leave the tongue in?

http://www.trekbikes.com/...e-road-shoe/p/12551/

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/clothing/shoes/product/review-bontrager-classique-road-shoes-49593/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you buy the specialized shoe cover? i'd like to get one!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [kennick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nick,

I believe it's a vinyl compound. It does stretch a little, but not quite as much as a latex swim cap. Stretching the upper half of the sleeve by maybe 2cm is the max I would think.

Hope this helps.

For sizing, I have a EU size 48 shoe and got size 49 sleeves. Maybe I could have gone for a size down, but it's a snug fit as it is.
Last edited by: Hoffmeister: Jan 25, 17 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playero wrote:
Where did you buy the specialized shoe cover? i'd like to get one!

I got them from Sigma Sports in the UK ...

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/...arp-Shoe-Sleeve/DP9U

I would think that any authorized Specialized dealer can order them for you.
Last edited by: Hoffmeister: Jan 25, 17 12:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My local dealer called up specialized but no go. Not available to buy in US.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the Giro's, but on performance bike today you can get a pair of the LG Milan road lace ups for 47 ish dollars with the 20% off. I would feel much better about trying things on a shoe for that price. Not too bad looking either.

Quote Reply

Prev Next