Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, just followed you. Looking forward to seeing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://instagram.com/p/BJit7ubjrpK/

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like that idea. Now, if you were to tape the edge of the tongue to the shoe and create a nice smooth surface, it would be perfect. Because the tape would be adhering to the smooth leather surfaces, I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to source some kind of waterproof solution? I would even consider using electrical tape to do most of the work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my pair yesterday. Rode on my trainer last night with just the regular laces. I really like these shoes. Extremely light weight and stiff. My PI's feel like bricks compared to these. I was very surprised how mid foot the cleat placement was. I thought I rode mid foot on my old PI's but when I went to put on new cleats on the SLX's the furthest forward cleat placement was still more midfoot than what I had set up on my PI's.

As far as lacing, I know a bunch of people have said you have to cut the tongue. But has anyone tried lacing elastic laces under the elastic strap on the tongue (just 1 loop) to keep the tongue from sliding down? From pictures it looks like most people were not lacing their laces under the tongue strap. I think this would help keep the tongue from sliding down and therefore you wouldn't have to cut it.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jan 20, 17 5:12
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Empire ACC which is pretty similar. They are not so easy to get into even with the tongue removed. At least compared to my Shimano tri shoes... I can get into those in 10 seconds after mounting. Maybe I just need to practice more :)

I'm not worried about the tongue... It's held by 5 stitches. I'm pretty sure I can get some shoe repair guy to re-attach it for $10.

As far as laces go, I recommend these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DFK6EXS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They stay flat and you can trim them to just right thanks to the end clips.

Here's how I set them up: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPJcRlWD51f
Last edited by: sp1ke: Jan 20, 17 5:34
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read all the threads about modifying these shoes and I just couldn't bring myself to cut up such an expensive pair of bike shoes. The solution I came up with to use rip laces that I laced through the vent holes on the outside edge of the tongue. I have found that this has worked perfect for me. Easy to get in and out and I didn't have to mangle my shoes. I had some worries that the elastic lace on the underside of the tongue would be irritating on the top of my foot, but that has not been the case.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/773280
http://imroycer81.blogspot.com/
teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [IM_Roycer81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like what you did Danny. I wonder if you could get away with only using every other hole instead of all 7. I had riplaces on my running shoes for a few races last year. I felt they stretched out even after minimal use. And I thought they were pretty fragile as I had a couple snap on me but that was only when I installing them or taking them out before/after races.

Going to try to experiment with a couple things and see what works.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM_Roycer81 wrote:
I read all the threads about modifying these shoes and I just couldn't bring myself to cut up such an expensive pair of bike shoes. The solution I came up with to use rip laces that I laced through the vent holes on the outside edge of the tongue. I have found that this has worked perfect for me. Easy to get in and out and I didn't have to mangle my shoes. I had some worries that the elastic lace on the underside of the tongue would be irritating on the top of my foot, but that has not been the case.

You can do a flying mount with this lace setup in a race or you are just planning on using them for training?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In fairness I have never tried to do a flying mount as I predominantly focus on long course and Ironman rarely lets the amateurs keep shoes in the pedals out of transition. It would definitely be tougher to get them on in a flying context, but I raced Ironman Florida with this exact setup.

teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I really like what you did Danny. I wonder if you could get away with only using every other hole instead of all 7. I had riplaces on my running shoes for a few races last year. I felt they stretched out even after minimal use. And I thought they were pretty fragile as I had a couple snap on me but that was only when I installing them or taking them out before/after races.

Going to try to experiment with a couple things and see what works.

Steve:

They have definitely stretched out some over time which is actually a good thing in this application. I think you could get away with an every other pattern easily.

teamemj.com
everymanjack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM_Roycer81 wrote:
In fairness I have never tried to do a flying mount as I predominantly focus on long course and Ironman rarely lets the amateurs keep shoes in the pedals out of transition. It would definitely be tougher to get them on in a flying context, but I raced Ironman Florida with this exact setup.

I should probably go back and clarify the reason for cutting out the tongue is based on the flying mount. If you aren't doing a flying mount I can see how this setup would work. Thanks for the feedback.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about getting a pair and seeing how they fit. I was thinking of not cutting the tongue out but putting a loop/tab at the top of the tongue to help in getting into the shoe. Then tucking loop/tab under tongue to keep it from flopping in the air. I figured this would help with getting the shoe on since it gives a tab to hold on to and it keeps from having to cut the tongue. Any idea if that might work? Haven't had the shoes in my hands for more than a minute but just thought of this while tossing and turning in bed.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is your solution: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/117539

They work great right out of the box and are more aero than anything not specifically created for the track.

That IS a great shoe. I've been a big fan of the Specialized S-Works shoes with the Boa closures and had a couple of the earlier models.

My sense is that the Boa closures are the problem when it comes to aerodynamics - they stick right out in the wind.

This seems to be confirmed by what I am seeing online.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I am thinking about getting a pair and seeing how they fit. I was thinking of not cutting the tongue out but putting a loop/tab at the top of the tongue to help in getting into the shoe. Then tucking loop/tab under tongue to keep it from flopping in the air. I figured this would help with getting the shoe on since it gives a tab to hold on to and it keeps from having to cut the tongue. Any idea if that might work? Haven't had the shoes in my hands for more than a minute but just thought of this while tossing and turning in bed.

I realize that some people don't like the idea of cutting out the tongue. For me, someone who is full gas in the swim and hangs onto the fastest group he can, albeit it at the back of whatever pack I finally make, then I have sprint thru T1 to make sure I don't get dropped by the group on the bike, there is really no time for error. From my experience, the tongue has to be cut, but other people might have different requirements. People can also try the Louis Garneau 84 and play around with the shoe at a much much lower price point. And then once they figure out how they want to rock them adapt from there and possibly upgrade to the SLX.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run mine through every other lace like so:

The ends are tied in a granny knot and than taped over to keep the area to a minimum.

I left a small amount of the tongue in place when I cut it out.

$2 worth of black elastic laces.

Now my problem is finding a place to mount rubber bands on the shoes. I read that people drill a hole into the back of the shoe, but I don't want to be riding around with a chunk in rubber band in my shoe once the band snaps. I'm currently looking for a different solution.

I got size 42.5 which is the same size as my Bontrager RXL Hilo tri shoes. These definitely fit tighter but I'm hoping I can manage it. Been doing everything I can think of to stretch them out a tad bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:

The ends are tied in a granny knot and than taped over to keep the area to a minimum.

Now my problem is finding a place to mount rubber bands on the shoes. I read that people drill a hole into the back of the shoe, but I don't want to be riding around with a chunk in rubber band in my shoe once the band snaps. I'm currently looking for a different solution.

I got size 42.5 which is the same size as my Bontrager RXL Hilo tri shoes. These definitely fit tighter but I'm hoping I can manage it. Been doing everything I can think of to stretch them out a tad bit.

the lacing pattern looks like one i'll have to try, to prevent the laces from bunching when you put your foot in, which happened at my last race.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use these in my Giro SLX. I did not cut out the tongue.

https://www.amazon.com/Kicks-Silicone-Tie-Shoelaces-Adults/dp/B01AKQ1PIY/ref=pd_sim_309_12?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KJXMGDZ2FAJG39WQR183

Edit: I do not do flying mounts, so the tongue thing was not a concern for me.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Jan 23, 17 10:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me the thought wasn't so much saving the tongue as it was having something to grab on to make for easier slip on. I have always had the heel tab on my shoes, currently on PI Tri Fly, but I might just mess around with it and see what's easiest. Either way I like the idea of getting some "free" watts over the hunk of shoe I have now. Even though I really like the PIs and just got them last year!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Retro for the win ... ? lol

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody thinking of the Empire SLX or SUB6 the fit is completely different at least in a 47. Huge toe box in Sub6, tight in SLX. SLX runs small, Sub6 runs big. Heel tough to get on quickly with Sub6 as it is molded and unforgiving like a car seat with big bolsters. Both have excellent power transfer. Both also come with ridiculously long laces and low stack height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very nice!!!
what were those bad boys called

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Timtek wrote:

''

Tim, great photos, but not really surprisingly coming from you!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I recall correctly, I think they were called ‘Hot Dogs’ or similar and they were from very early 90’s ?

Look at the lace cover though, nice and thin and very flexible (but not stretchy). It can’t be hard to design a shoe with no laces and no tongue, cover the top in Velcro and then have a flap similar to that on the hot dogs that’s Velcro lined underneath.

Add a small tab to keep the flap open in transition and you would have a shoe that’s easy to enter, quick to close, easy to adjust on the fly and potentially very aero …

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
If I recall correctly, I think they were called ‘Hot Dogs’ or similar and they were from very early 90’s ?

Look at the lace cover though, nice and thin and very flexible (but not stretchy). It can’t be hard to design a shoe with no laces and no tongue, cover the top in Velcro and then have a flap similar to that on the hot dogs that’s Velcro lined underneath.

Add a small tab to keep the flap open in transition and you would have a shoe that’s easy to enter, quick to close, easy to adjust on the fly and potentially very aero …

Are you talking about the following: Sweet Spots??? I bought a pair, I have some pictures with them install but I would have to dig them up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys! I am thinking about that for quiet a while now and probably want to do the same, but without cutting out the whole tongue. Has anyone tried to cut out pieces or just do some cuts into the tongue. Then threading the elastic laces through the cuts, symmetrical or three times per "thread" so the tongue is being hold into place by the laces all the time?

I hope you understand what I mean
Greetings from Germany
Nick

sent from my iPhone
Quote Reply

Prev Next