Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you say riplaces won't work here?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did i do?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason the S Works sub 6 is so fast is because the laces are covered by a sleeve. no matter what you do I don't believe you're gaining anything

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just looking at profile, giro looks a lot less bulky the s-works tri. Given that sworks road shoes did not fit my foot i would think based on a look test the giro look better then prev tri shoe.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about these?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.velotoze.com/collections/products/products/toe-cover

I think if you're looking for aero gains in footwear trying to make these work would be worth trying to figure out. Looks like with the quick laces in empires they would work fine.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thought i had read toe covers could be really good or really bad? But they would work with the quick laces

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most of the recent stuff I've seen points to either a positive or neutral. I'd test it of course but in theory smoother is gooder. ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
Thanks for sharing that Thomas, I had seen your post on the matter before but it has piqued my interest once again. Do you find that you miss the heeltab to hold your shoe when putting your foot in? I always thought this was one of the "essential" parts of a tri shoe, but then again most people run in "normal" running shoes with some kind of fast laces and those generally don't have heeltabs either (the tri specific running shoes do, of course)

I do not miss the heel tab. The heel tab is just another thing to mess with aerodynamics as far as I am concerned.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better but you prob still have too much lace to make them tight enough. Again, having done a lot of experimentation you are much better off using the flat lace than the round elastics. The flat laces also meet my aero eye, along with being able to make the shoe more comfortable and tighter. Here is the dretiz elatsic, super cheap and thin.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [jet black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jet black wrote:

The rip laces won't work for a couple of reasons IMO. One the tubing is round, I much prefer flat tubing, it meets the aero eye a bit better and is more comfortable on the skin - remember, you have to cut the tongue out of the shoe so the lace rests on your bare foot. They seem less aero as the plastic piece seems to stick up a bit. However, mostly important it is not that easy to get the feet in the shoe. I think this was a product of the fact that each Riplace is actually two round tube wires on both sides of the riplace. It just ends up being too much friction to slid your foot in easily.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jet black wrote:

The rip laces won't work for a couple of reasons IMO. One the tubing is round, I much prefer flat tubing, it meets the aero eye a bit better and is more comfortable on the skin - remember, you have to cut the tongue out of the shoe so the lace rests on your bare foot. They seem less aero as the plastic piece seems to stick up a bit. However, mostly important it is not that easy to get the feet in the shoe. I think this was a product of the fact that each Riplace is actually two round tube wires on both sides of the riplace. It just ends up being too much friction to slid your foot in easily.

is it necessary to cut out the tongue? does it bunch up, or just make it harder to get your foot into the shoe? once you cut the tongue out, was the shoe as comfortable?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jet black wrote:

is it necessary to cut out the tongue? does it bunch up, or just make it harder to get your foot into the shoe? once you cut the tongue out, was the shoe as comfortable?

Yes it is necessary to cut the tongue as it will just bunch up. I was going to experiment with another pair in cutting the tongue but only like 7/8 of it. Is it as comfy, I don't know, can't really say, but I can say this. I would never go back to another pair of triathlon shoes or run the SLX in a triathlon with the tongue.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about using these (assuming they don't come undone) and not removing the tongue?

https://www.amazon.com/...&pf_rd_i=desktop
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's how my poor man's Gerlach shoe special turned out. LG LA84's, tongue cut out, black elastic laces. They are ez to get on and off and Ive done one race in them (and several trainer rides no issues). It did take me a few tries to get the correct tension in the laces but now they are dialed in.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
What about using these (assuming they don't come undone) and not removing the tongue?

https://www.amazon.com/...&pf_rd_i=desktop

No those won't work. I realize it is hard to cut the tongue out of $300 shoe but they just don't work without the tonque in my experience. By all means try them out and get back to me. Practice entering them very quickly with flying mount and see what happens. The tongue will bunch and you won't be able to get it back out.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
here's how my poor man's Gerlach shoe special turned out. LG LA84's, tongue cut out, black elastic laces. They are ez to get on and off and Ive done one race in them (and several trainer rides no issues). It did take me a few tries to get the correct tension in the laces but now they are dialed in.

Funny you say poor mans. I am usually the one being cheap and finding cheap but effective ways of getting things done. Glad you got them dialed in. Look a little tight for my taste.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Notice I don't have the top eyelet laced. Made all the difference for ease of entry and still snug enough. Total cost $100. Felt better about cutting these up vs the Giros as an experiment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished my pair of a tri issue of the Giro shoe..

Kept the tongue - and did the lacing under the tongue.

At the top of the tongue - I made to holes - and have the lace holding the tongue down on the shoe/foot.

Make sense?

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you don't mine, take a pic of them (off and on) so I can see what you did.

I was thinking of doing something similar. I was thinking that the tongue would aero out the laces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My idea is to install flat elastic laces and leave the tongue in place. On race day take duct tape, one long piece that folds over and under the tongue. on the top this will cover the laces for more aero. Include redundancy where you fold the tape back on itself to lengthen the tongue so you can grab it to aid in entry. Trim the redundant portion so it's not so wide.

Anyhow an idea, but haven't tried it yet. And to keep the elastic central upper laces free to stretch can place a narrow strip of opposing tape along the under surface of the main tape to partially cover the sticky surface, so it doesn't restrict the stretch in the laces at entry.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Last edited by: Terra-Man: Aug 25, 16 8:13
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will try when I get home :) Give me 4-5 hours from now (don't know your timezone)..

---
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schmidt-DK wrote:
I just finished my pair of a tri issue of the Giro shoe..

Kept the tongue - and did the lacing under the tongue.

At the top of the tongue - I made to holes - and have the lace holding the tongue down on the shoe/foot.

Make sense?

Sounds interesting. Do you have a pic?

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terra-Man wrote:
My idea is to install flat elastic laces and leave the tongue in place. On race day take duct tape, one long piece that folds over and under the tongue. on the top this will cover the laces for more aero. Include redundancy where you fold the tape back on itself to lengthen the tongue so you can grab it to aid in entry. Trim the redundant portion so it's not so wide.

Anyhow an idea, but haven't tried it yet. And to keep the elastic central upper laces free to stretch can place a narrow strip of opposing tape along the under surface of the main tape to partially cover the sticky surface, so it doesn't restrict the stretch in the laces at entry.

Another interesting idea. Would love to see future pics.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will post pics, as soon as I get home.. Don't have computer at home - but will post on my open instagram:

larsschmidttri

---
Quote Reply

Prev Next