Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consider this idea stolen - going to have to make a trip in the coming weekend to local shoe shop. Brilliant!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What ive done in past with my Bont Vaypors that dont have rear strap is tape a rubber band with a small piece of electrical tape to the heel. Holds perfect and no drilling/altering the shoe required.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
What has been the consensus of the zipper mods. Are they liking them too? You will have to let us know how you like the zipper.

I used my SLX all last year. I cut out the tongue and used elastic laces.

There were many times, as I jumped onto my bike, that I experienced some trouble with putting my feet into the shoes. I'm going to experiment with a homemade zipper and see how that works out.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
What has been the consensus of the zipper mods. Are they liking them too? You will have to let us know how you like the zipper.

I used my SLX all last year. I cut out the tongue and used elastic laces.

There were many times, as I jumped onto my bike, that I experienced some trouble with putting my feet into the shoes. I'm going to experiment with a homemade zipper and see how that works out.

Maybe there is some feedback out there from others who have installed a zipper - I know of a few people that have done it. To me the problem is that your feet will change (swelling, socks no socks) and a zipper is pretty unforgiving. I always suggest people find a lacing pattern and tension that works for them. It is the reason I experimented with two different tensions (high tension lower laces, less tension upper laces) to try and find the optimal setup. My setup works for me and 5-10 dismount / mounts the day before the race is a great way to practice for perfection on race day.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These look great and inspired me to do something very similar. I've just finished lacing them although I haven't yet determined the right tension for the elastic laces so still have them tied instead of knotted.

Here's where things are now including pictures: https://lp18bos19.blogspot.com/...d-post-1-part-2.html

Thanks to everyone on this thread for their posts which helped out tremendously.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ride_4ever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ride_4ever wrote:
These look great and inspired me to do something very similar. I've just finished lacing them although I haven't yet determined the right tension for the elastic laces so still have them tied instead of knotted.

Here's where things are now including pictures: https://lp18bos19.blogspot.com/...d-post-1-part-2.html

Thanks to everyone on this thread for their posts which helped out tremendously.

For the speedplay aero covers - get the base...so much cleaner.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/speedplay-zero-aero-surround-kit-for-3-hole-shoes?skid=SPP001G-ONECOL-ONESIZ&CMP_SKU=SPP001G&MER=0406&CSPID=0914&mr:trackingCode=7BB5FC90-6A1F-E711-80F3-0050569428E8&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=264774614365&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=pla-350720729202&mr:ploc=9033357&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=350720729202&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc014&CSPID=0914&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=449eb056-6707-4c9e-81f0-ad233f595187&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn-bWBRDGARIsAPS1svvpVVxSOFcTN-jZIzLj4ldDmEjFPqvgukNnkgKYo-5jxPFCdg_eprYaAqWhEALw_wcB

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is peoples experience with GIro sizing? I'm especially interested in already Giro users, is the sizing the same across different Giro models?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
What is peoples experience with GIro sizing? I'm especially interested in already Giro users, is the sizing the same across different Giro models?

I got a pair of Empire ACC's last year and had the same question. Sizing kind of differs from brand to brand so here's the best I can do.

I'm a 43.5 in an old pair of s-works shoes (with the ratchet system) and a 43.5 in a pair of trivents.

I got a 43.5 in empires and while they fit well they're a tad bit tighter than the specialized shoes. If I wear a thick sock they're too tight, they're fine with lighter socks. I like the fit, they're snug without being uncomfortable. I just ordered a pair of sentrie techlace's in size 44 to avoid the sock issue.

So...they're true to size,maybe a bit snug.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree on the slight tightness for the width in the toe box. I was a perfect fit for a Shimano size 46, but the SLX was slightly uncomfortable tight and I had to bump up to a 46.5. I am a little worried about heel slippage but nothing so far.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I decided not to cut the tongue out.

Mine are set up with flat elastic laces that slip right on t1, Shimano road cleats are fairly easy to run in too.

Also means you can give it 100% effort without faffing around getting you your feet out/in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone try magnetic shoe closures?

https://zubits.com

I am thinking of buying a pair and trying them out.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [wincrewser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those look nice but seem like they’d be really hard to get on with one hand and quickly.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [wincrewser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Those look nice but seem like they’d be really hard to get on with one hand and quickly.

That was my thought, too. Unless they just "flop" into place, and stick together it seems like it would be more fiddling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair and tried them out for a 65+ mile ride. I used the original laces that came with the shoes. I couldn't make the laces very snug as the magnets "flop" into place and can really pinch the top of the foot (and it is not a pleasant feeling). So I made them a just a bit loose, but not too loose where your foot is not slipping all over the shoe. I also added moleskin to the inside of the magnet (not pictured) to limit irritation of my foot. I had zero issues for the entire ride. Going to do some testing with transition work (entering in/out while on the bike), but most likely will be using this system for the next race. Each magnet adds 15 grams to each shoe, so it adds a little extra weight. In the past, I have used elastic laces, put the shoes on in T1 and ran to the bike. I am hoping this set up will save me a few more seconds... If I was starting with a fresh pair of shoes, I may keep the tongue in entirely as that may help with slipping into the shoe and reducing any potential irritation. I still have the tongues, but not sure I want to spend the time to sew them back on.

Here is a link to photos of the magnet before/after closure
https://photos.app.goo.gl/B9XHVFmi3akRyxJd8
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Shoe credit to Thomas Gerlach (original idea and the suggestion to leave half the tongue). Took them to my local shoe repair shop. He charged $16 and they turned out great. Will mess with the tension of the elastic, but am pleased with how they turned out.

Just in time for Giro to come out with their version 2 that will be copyright infringement on Gerlach's idea!

Very clean!
Are these working for you?
Would you do anything differently in hindsight?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ni31mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What material did you use for loops in the back?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread about laces that are on shoes has 3x more views then the ENTIRE 2018 Thread about the Giro d'Italia which included Froome's 80K breakaway. This is the ultimate intantiation about this forum caring more about gear than the sports that the gear is used for LOL!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 3, 18 16:41
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
This thread about laces that on on shoes has 3x more views then the ENTIRE 2018 Thread about the Giro d'Italia which included Froome's 80K breakaway. This is the ultimate intantiation about this forum caring more about gear than the sports that the gear is used for LOL!

Not sure how to take that Paul. I did not follow the Giro much this year but I do follow this thread! Lol

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an idea I have and wanted your feedback especially Thomas. I got a set of the Empire Knit yesterday as they look like they would be the most comfortable of any bike shoe I've ever seen and was thinking of having the tongue stitched along down the outside the lace holes on the inside side of the shoe and maybe even up an inch from the toe of the outside. At worst the tongue will only roll in a fraction on the outside and you can just push a finger under the tongue and roll it out. Alas I can always unpick the stitching and cut out the tongue. I like the idea of just slipping them on in T1 like running shoes myself but will trial on the fly. The first time I ever tried it I dropped my shoe on the road and have been scarred ever since...

http://www.giro.com/eu_en/empire-e70-knit-76.html/
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See the irony. A set of shoes named after a Grand Tour and a thead about laces on those shoes gets more interest than the actual Grand tour that the product and associated laces are named after!!!!

No wonder the "bike guys" shake their heads at us "tri guys"!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shoes come with a little elastic sewn in place halfway down the tongue that you would normally use to hold the ends of the laces in place so they don't get caught in the chainring. With no laces that becomes redundant so I unstitched it and attached it at the back as a heel loop.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had any experience with these? No engineering required and they look pretty damn aero to me.

https://www.suplest.ch/.../road-pro-aero-01045
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with these? No engineering required and they look pretty damn aero to me.

The problem is that they are lace-up underneath the zipped aero cover, so not very practical for fast transitions.

Link to photo
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:

Looks like a custom giro slx?
Quote Reply

Prev Next