Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro SLX Laces [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
What I really want is to see Cody Beals shoes in person! The way he has the tongue and Velcro looks VERY fast and easy to get in/out of as well. I know he is creative and specific with what he uses so I can't imagine he'd do something unless it was good.

Side note, I am getting ready to get my kit made for next year and you and Beals have me interested in just going with the rear zip suit since I believe both of you tested it to be the fastest suit. But I don't want to hijack this thread anymore.

Rear zip suit... Total hijack, yes, but it tested very fast for me. Brian didn't like it and made me redo the run. The reason I even considered it was because it was testing so fast in the pool. As for the shoes, a few others have done something similar to Cody as well. Kelsey Withrow did the same with the Specialized Sub 6 shoe too. Velcro on the tonque is another option, for me I have stuck with laces.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ni31mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello ni31mo and All,

Shoes look great!

How is the fit now that you have had them for awhile?

Any modifications since you posted?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jrielley wrote:
What I really want is to see Cody Beals shoes in person! The way he has the tongue and Velcro looks VERY fast and easy to get in/out of as well. I know he is creative and specific with what he uses so I can't imagine he'd do something unless it was good.

Side note, I am getting ready to get my kit made for next year and you and Beals have me interested in just going with the rear zip suit since I believe both of you tested it to be the fastest suit. But I don't want to hijack this thread anymore.

Rear zip suit... Total hijack, yes, but it tested very fast for me. Brian didn't like it and made me redo the run. The reason I even considered it was because it was testing so fast in the pool. As for the shoes, a few others have done something similar to Cody as well. Kelsey Withrow did the same with the Specialized Sub 6 shoe too. Velcro on the tonque is another option, for me I have stuck with laces.

that specialized sub-6 is a gorgeous shoe and probably super fast but it's so tight on my foot it's only really good for road racing and riding

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jrielley wrote:

that specialized sub-6 is a gorgeous shoe and probably super fast but it's so tight on my foot it's only really good for road racing and riding

For me it is just the fact that they are so expensive and spesh does a great job of actually controlling (fixing) prices!!! The SLX is pretty sleek and they have had some nice color ways on the ACC as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% agree with you ericMPro on the Specialized shoes being very tight. I can only use them in road racing. Totally love the Sub 6 shoe for shorter crits, but even long road races and rides over 3 hours I opt for something else as they are too tight on my foot.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny that no one have seen this.
http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2017_10_Jesse_Thomas_Dimond_Marquise&num=29

It is from this years Kona.

Found this too
http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2017_10_Matthew_Russell_Diamondback_Andean&num=4

Last edited by: pdais97: Jan 28, 18 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [pdais97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can’t imagine those pictures aren’t somewhere in this thread. So many cool ideas and different ways to lace the shoes. Mine are currently close to Matt Russell’s laces. Nice and easy to get s good fit.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They aren´t , read all the thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh that’s because they are on this one. It’s where most of the different ways people have made their shoes work for Triathlon. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...d_sizes._P6276210-5/

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdais97 wrote:
Funny that no one have seen this.
http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2017_10_Jesse_Thomas_Dimond_Marquise&num=29

It is from this years Kona.

Found this too
http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2017_10_Matthew_Russell_Diamondback_Andean&num=4

Matt Russell was I think the second professional, Kirsty Jahn might have been 2nd, regardless, Matt and I talked about my design and he had them up and running by May 2016 for Wildflower. He had the exact same lacing pattern then and he said they worked very well for him. He hasn't changed his lacing design at all since that first race. The lacing pattern is going to be individual as the lace will sit on the part of the feet at spots and you need to find a pattern that works for you. I first noticed Jesse Thomas with these at Augusta this year fwiw. No idea how long he has been on them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a new white pair of Giros now, working with different patterns and leaving the tongue in this go around.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just started slipping them on ITU running shoe style in T1 and running to the mount line.... no difference that I can tell in time. I use elastic laces that popped up on one of the threads awhile back.

BBLOEHR wrote:
I have a new white pair of Giros now, working with different patterns and leaving the tongue in this go around.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the same thing with my LGs - I have the aero cleat for the speedplay pedals and they are silly easy to run in too - easiest shoe to get out of and VERY happy with performance. I went with a Matt Russell-esque technique haha.

ericMPro wrote:
I just started slipping them on ITU running shoe style in T1 and running to the mount line.... no difference that I can tell in time. I use elastic laces that popped up on one of the threads awhile back.

BBLOEHR wrote:

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:

If I had to do it again I might experiment with just maybe 3/4 of inch to an inch of tongue. I think with my feet it might work and help fill in the gap.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think i will cut off those top little tabs, but I am def leaving laces in.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [sooners175] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello sooners175 and All,

Anybody tried something like this?

Advantage of zipper and keeps lace adjustment.

Looks like it could be the bees knees.

https://www.indiegogo.com/...d-putting-on-shoes#/ (old ... 2014) see current website below

http://zippedshoes.com/sklep.html Select top right corner EN for English translation .... works better for ordering than Google translate.

Here is another solution with easy rear entry from Nike:

https://www.nike.com/...c/innovation/flyease

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Jan 28, 18 21:00
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too lazy to search and find a picture but aj baucco added a zipper to his and they look pretty cool. Wonder if they worked they way he wanted them to after a season of use.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does removing the tongue effect the sizing of the shoe? I tried 45's which felt really tight, 45.5's felt exactly the same as the 45's, but 46 seems much too big. Worried about how quickly I can get into a tighter shoe, but with the 46 if no tongue makes them fit even more loosely, they'd be way too big. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it made a huge impact but it does loosen it a bit. But the big for me was the no tongue and no socks made it a bit better. But I have narrowish feet so they fit well before that.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Those shoes that Jesse Thomas is using are the new Giro TechLace with the Giro strap and lace system removed and some kind of elastic laces put in. They are hands down, I believe the lightest production cycling shoes on the market! They are lighter than the Giro SLX, that claimed that accolade last year.

More here - http://www.giro.com/ca_en/techlace/ or here http://www.giro.com/...olight-techlace.html

The Giro Empire ACC & SLX have been my road shoes for the past 3 years. Love them!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2wheels wrote:
How does removing the tongue effect the sizing of the shoe? I tried 45's which felt really tight, 45.5's felt exactly the same as the 45's, but 46 seems much too big. Worried about how quickly I can get into a tighter shoe, but with the 46 if no tongue makes them fit even more loosely, they'd be way too big. Thanks.

That is a good question and I think the answer depends on your own needs, feet width, lacing pattern etc. For me I prefer a little loose but based on the nervousness I have received in questions that have come across my desk or I have come across I would say that many people like them tight in their minds. For me it was the same size I have been in other shoes and cutting the tongue out seems to give a little space.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was so inspired by this post... especially by the zipper mods... it made me almost order a Giro Empire SLX and tinker with it... then I found this for 179 € somewhere... just laces under that cover. 220 grams. Will probably just cut out the tongue, a couple of elastic laces... and there yo go :)

Last edited by: duduardoman: Feb 18, 18 1:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have become so accustomed to not having a tongue, I no longer like my shoe with it. I am leaving it in during winter but as soon as spring hits I am cutting it out.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [duduardoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Giro SLX Laces [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am using theses laces my empires (with the tongue currently) and they are great! ...and flat!
Quote Reply

Prev Next