Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giro Empire for Tri Shoes
Quote | Reply
I know TG posted an article on using the Giro Empire for Triathlon racing. I also see that Jesse Thomas has done it. I am wondering if anyone has any tips about what elastic to use and/or DONT's. I'm a little hesitant to cut out the tongue and then not like the way it feels when racing.

I'd love any close up pics of your converted Empires...
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire for Tri Shoes [ironmuffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
following

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6008013#p6008013

10 pages worth of reading for you.

I personally like xpand laces. They are cheap off amazon.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you go to the original post on here, there are tons of people showing their work. Most use elastic. Some guy had a zipper.

The trick is to find something that lays flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire for Tri Shoes [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I should have SEARCHED first. lol. Thanks!!!

stevej wrote:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6008013#p6008013

10 pages worth of reading for you.

I personally like xpand laces. They are cheap off amazon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Put a loop on the heels with cat collar. Then used flat elastic laces. Lacest then through every other hole I believe. Pretty sure a pic is on that thread someone posted.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted in the original thread, but I cut most of the tongue off, leaving around two inches, which I sewed to the sides. I then used some of the flat elastics. It took some adjustment to get a fit that is secure but not too tight to get into the shoes in T1.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kept the tongues on, but have them over the laces on my Sworks Sub6 shoes. Instead of elastics I've been using flat rubber laces. I haven't actually used them in a race yet (will be using them in Oceanside) but I've been using them like this on the trainer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to understand why anybody would do this rather than just buying Bont Zero+ shoes. It's already done for you, and on top of that you can heat mold the shoe for a custom fit of your foot. I've seen the pricing of both shoes and there is very little difference and the Bonts are lighter to begin with.

Giro Empire (Mens)
$357.49 CAN / $224.75 EU / $276.65 USD
Size 45 EU / 12 US
600g

Bont Zero+ (Mens)
$395.13 CAN / $248.42 EU / $305.00 USD
Size: 45 EU / 12 US
Weight: 502g

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan to use my Giro Techlace Prolights for my next Tri.. 3 velcro straps a piece and done... there are really easy to put on to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire for Tri Shoes [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been some pretty steep sales on the Empire SLX's over the past year or 2, like $150 or cheaper I think, on Amazon and other places. And a lot of folks, including myself, find the Bont's incredibly uncomfortable.

Ah, this is the sale I was thinking about, Gerlach posted it:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6276612
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Mar 28, 18 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bonts must have come down in price, seems like when I looked at them a year ago or so they were 5-600 dollars or something.

Plus if you're patient you can get the giros for $150 or so on sale.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire for Tri Shoes [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes almost 100% sense except the "Uncomfortable" part. How can shoes you heat mold to your individual foot be anything but comfortable (granted you buy the correct size)? I guess the human body is variable but I've never ever in all the time I've tried to buy new replacements shoes, found anything that fits anywhere in the same area code as the Bont shoes. $150 for some shoes is a pretty great deal though!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bottom of the shoe is -not- moldable. I, and honestly everyone I know who has tried them, has found the super stiff 'tub' shaped sole to be very uncomfortable. I have tried adding orthotics, but I find the volume in the bont's is too shallow for my foot to have enough vertical room after adding an orthotic.
If you -do- happen to find them comfortable, then I have no doubt they are an awesome shoe.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Mar 28, 18 14:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
I'm trying to understand why anybody would do this rather than just buying Bont Zero+ shoes. It's already done for you, and on top of that you can heat mold the shoe for a custom fit of your foot. I've seen the pricing of both shoes and there is very little difference and the Bonts are lighter to begin with.

Giro Empire (Mens)
$357.49 CAN / $224.75 EU / $276.65 USD
Size 45 EU / 12 US
600g

Bont Zero+ (Mens)
$395.13 CAN / $248.42 EU / $305.00 USD
Size: 45 EU / 12 US
Weight: 502g

I got my Empire SLXs for $175, but that deal is gone. The Bonts have a pretty wide toe box that won't work for a lot of folks. That said, I'm only using them for Time Trials, so I won't be modifying them.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire for Tri Shoes [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you tuck the xpand laces in the inside, or out? I've got them set up with the lock inside but it feels like it's going to dig into my ankle
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire for Tri Shoes [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outside for the exact reason you mentioned. I

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine are outside as well. With a knot at the end just in case.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire for Tri Shoes [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you’re not using the little grey clamp piece, correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire for Tri Shoes [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
I kept the tongues on, but have them over the laces on my Sworks Sub6 shoes. Instead of elastics I've been using flat rubber laces. I haven't actually used them in a race yet (will be using them in Oceanside) but I've been using them like this on the trainer.

Daniel,

Have you ridden many miles in your Sub6 as you have pictured? I have Sub6 as well and have been running with xpand laces over the tongue for 5000+ miles now (trainer and road). I was thinking of going the route that Nate went in the post above yours removing most of the tongue for quicker transitions. Your post has me intrigued. How flat are you able to get the tongue to lay one shoe look snug against the upper and the other looks like its not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am. I just tie a knot in the lace end just to be safe. The clip seems strong but didn’t want it to fail one face then have a super loose shoe.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weight you quote looks off to me: the Empire SLX is quoted at 350g, not 600g.

Plus as others have mentioned, you can often find deals - I got mine for around $170.

The third advantage of the Giro is that, based on eyeball aero, it looks very narrow compared to the Bont.

As I posted in the other thread, I used a zip on mine to keep it as clean as possible:

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire for Tri Shoes [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At home I can make it almost completely flush. In a race where everything is a little more hurried potentially not as much. I wanted to keep the tongues on in case I didn't like them like this, they could then be my dedicated road bike shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Bonts, the Specialized sub6 and the Empire SLX, and there's very little weight difference between the lace ups, but the Bonts are about 40g heavier in a 43

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply

Prev Next