Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giro Aerohead or Vanquish?
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a new helmet to wear for my upcoming races (Galveston 70.3, IMTX, Super Frog 70.3, Waco 70.3)

Which of these two helmets would you suggest?

I'm partial to the Vanquish. However, if the Aerohead is faster I hate to give up the speed.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead or Vanquish? [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a search on here and you will find the exact same thread I am sure I saw it just the other week
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can have my aerohead, its lying around because I chose not to use it anymore because its too heavy (almost 460gr in size L). Having said that, I also looked at the Vanquish, and that one seems to have 380gr in Size L. For that 80gr difference you might as well go for the aerohead. For 70.3s it should be anyways OK, but for long distance I consider 400gr or above way above the limit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both. Aerohead looks a lot faster- minimal venting and shape are markedly different. Vanquish is nice but make no mistake it’s an aero road helmet not a full blown tt lid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally love my vanquish. Not sure about the aero. But it's definitely not hot. Can feel lots of air going through the deep vents and the lens have not fogged up yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) i just purchased an aerohead for galveston 70.3.

2) good luck in the galveston 70.3!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead or Vanquish? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Do a search on here and you will find the exact same thread I am sure I saw it just the other week

Thanks, I do a search.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead or Vanquish? [Ben6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben6 wrote:
You can have my aerohead, its lying around because I chose not to use it anymore because its too heavy (almost 460gr in size L). Having said that, I also looked at the Vanquish, and that one seems to have 380gr in Size L. For that 80gr difference you might as well go for the aerohead. For 70.3s it should be anyways OK, but for long distance I consider 400gr or above way above the limit.

Thanks for the input. i didn't consider the weight. I was solely thinking of the aerodynamics and the heat.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead or Vanquish? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
1) i just purchased an aerohead for galveston 70.3.

2) good luck in the galveston 70.3!

Thanks, See you there!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead or Vanquish? [yangster88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yangster88 wrote:
Totally love my vanquish. Not sure about the aero. But it's definitely not hot. Can feel lots of air going through the deep vents and the lens have not fogged up yet.

I thought about getting the Vanquish for training. Was hoping I could use it for both but I don't to compromise speed. I'm slow as it is and need all the help I can get :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben6 wrote:

It's obviously totally personal. I've worn my Aerohead in 2 IMs and will use it in another IM this summer. I don't notice the weight at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sent PM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Giro's own data the aerodynamic difference is about 60 seconds between the two over the course of an Ironman. I presume that is based on a stable position- which almost no one does mid-pack in an Ironman. For that reason alone I would question whether the Aerohead is indeed noticeably faster for an average ride, if it is at all?

For that, you have a considerably less well ventilated helmet that is more expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have been using the Giro a full year have zero issues with it, don't even notice the weight. No issues with overheating. Raced in cross winds and headwinds with it, very solid helmet. Will be using it at galveston as well. Get the smallest size that you can fit your head into.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead or Vanquish? [Kent_NewZealand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
60 secs over an Ironman hmmm... racing sprints that’s about 6 or 7 secs?. The vanquish seems to fit bigger and taller- you can really see those vents right through and the top of your head/hair.
I’m racing noosa in October this year when it’s hot and I have to travel there. I’ll prob use the vanquish over a warm course of 40kms
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead or Vanquish? [Kent_NewZealand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the one thing that brings me back to the Aerohead is the magnetic shield. In hilly, hot races I love the ability to flip the shield up for venting and cooling during the climb. And the magnets hold tight. This i s also great in transition. The Vanguish and the Smith Podium have fairly weak magnets that I wouldn't trust to hold the shield int he 'up' position.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead or Vanquish? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got my Vanquish in the mail this week. I tested the magnets and they look pretty sturdy. Also, the way that the lens sits on the helmet when flipped up, it makes for a bit of a wedged fit, so i think it should be fine for climbing efforts out of the saddle.

I wouldn't go head-bangin' into a mosh pit with it though :)

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead or Vanquish? [CBass@3toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
compared to the AH they are quite weak. I tilted my head down and it slipped forward...just much more play than the AH. The lens snaps in hard on both positions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race road and will be doing TTs this year. I've been racing road with Air Attack helmets for about 3 seasons now.

I've got a handful of rides with the Aerohead which I will be using for TTs. I've also got a handful of rides with the Vanquish which is my new road racing lid.

The Vanquish is noticeably cooler than the Air Attack, to the point of being cold if I just have a summer cycling cap under it for 30-35 degree F rides. I would ride down to freezing with a thin cap under the air attack no problem. I'm guessing the Vanquish will be nice and cool on summer rides.

The Aerohead is definitely where it's at for aero. Much warmer but all data points to significant savings over the Vanquish.

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead or Vanquish? [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Physiojoe925 wrote:
I race road and will be doing TTs this year. I've been racing road with Air Attack helmets for about 3 seasons now.

I've got a handful of rides with the Aerohead which I will be using for TTs. I've also got a handful of rides with the Vanquish which is my new road racing lid.

The Vanquish is noticeably cooler than the Air Attack, to the point of being cold if I just have a summer cycling cap under it for 30-35 degree F rides. I would ride down to freezing with a thin cap under the air attack no problem. I'm guessing the Vanquish will be nice and cool on summer rides.

The Aerohead is definitely where it's at for aero. Much warmer but all data points to significant savings over the Vanquish.

What's considered 'significant savings'? When we are talking 60 seconds over a full ironman is the Vanquish only 10-20 seconds slower? Given the additional cooling of the Vanquish I'm struggling to see the value of the aero head
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead or Vanquish? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talk about a blast from the past! I happily stepped away from cycling (cat 2 road and mtb) the end of 2018.

My comments had nothing to do with triathlon. My choices were purely for prologue through 40k TT.

My last race was an actual tie for the Ohio State TT Title. A few weeks before that I finished 8 seconds behind the winner at the Indiana State TT.

Every second always counted to me.

For cycling TTs I'll take the Aerohead (if I was still racing) :)

dunno wrote:
Physiojoe925 wrote:

What's considered 'significant savings'? When we are talking 60 seconds over a full ironman is the Vanquish only 10-20 seconds slower? Given the additional cooling of the Vanquish I'm struggling to see the value of the aero head

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead or Vanquish? [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Joe, do you have any opinions on which you would chose for long course Tri?
Quote Reply