Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro Aerohead [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
BMS wrote:
So how's everyone finding this helmet in hot weather? Seems to have a reputation as 'hot', but yet reading through the comments here, it would appear the majority don't believe it's that bad. I expect we'll see more people with it in Kona this year too.

It's average aero helmet as far as how "hot" it feels. I don't think it felt any different than any other aero helmet I've used.

That stated, I'm thinking about drilling a couple little holes in it for extra venting but I'm scared to do so because I know these things are designed with the vents they way they are for airflow and aerodynamics. I'll take suggestions on where to drill. :-)

Just drill a hole through the CPSC sticker.

Seriously though, I'm waiting for someone to make a cutaway visor that mimics the ear flaps that non-visored helmets have. That way you could have an open-face version of this lid.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Im going to make the jump today was curious about heat with the different colors as well. Ive always been scared to go with a black aero helmet, especially when its got a rep for being warmer in the first place.

Also, any suggestions on where to find the best pricing. It seems that $250 with free shipping is pretty standard.
Last edited by: LSUfan4444: Apr 30, 17 6:08
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Performance Bikes is pretty much always having a sale (e.g., 15% off this weekend) - gets up to 20% off at times
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried the Aerohead today in medium and large.
Unfortunately, like other Giro helmets, they just don't seem to suit the shape of my head.
The medium is too short and just doesn't fit although the width would be perfect. The large is long enough but seems enormously wide. I'm nt sure if that matters hugely from an aerodynamic point of view. I'm sure a narrower helmet would produce less drag on it's own, but since a wider helmet will probably reduce the impact of the shoulders somewhat, it could go either way overall. However the helmet is so wide it moves around quite a bit on my head, which I don't like.
I haven't used proper aero helmets before. I bought a Casco Speedtime for this year but haven't used it yet and have had second thoughts. I'm not convinced it'll be great for drag and could be very hot. So, I was considering switching to an Aerohead and selling the Casco, but not so sure after trying it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helmet color doesn't really impact cooling. The foam is such a good insulator that the temperature of the exterior shell has little impact on the interior temperature.

As for deals, check eBay. I just saw a new w/o box medium arrowhead go for $151 + $12 shipping, and lots of guys selling new ones in the $225 range (shipped). For used, occasionally ones pop up on ST classifieds.

Disclaimer: I work at eBay.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
hutchy_belfast wrote:
I had the normal version, it was hot and tested significantly slower than the p09. It felt very claustrophobic as well. Back on eBay it went.

I tested it only a couple of times in cool weather (upto 16°C = 61°F) , so can not tell if the helmet is hot to me. Did you have a white or a black version?

I feel very comfortable with the helmet, very spacy and it is better to me than my old Giro Advantage with sunglasses. As a matter of fact, I had a headache during my last IM I think because of the arms of the sunglasses between the helmet and head. So at least that problem is solved.

The only problem I had upto now with the Aerohead was the lost contact lens. But that's not a killer for me, I still have the other eye and even if they fall both out I can still race, having only +2 on both eyes.

Lost my left contact lens yesterday again, closed the left hole in the visor now with tape, see if that helps.
Grinded 5 mm of the bottom of the visor, because it was resting on my cheekbones.
Always something to tinker...
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
hutchy_belfast wrote:
I had the normal version, it was hot and tested significantly slower than the p09. It felt very claustrophobic as well. Back on eBay it went.

I tested it only a couple of times in cool weather (upto 16°C = 61°F) , so can not tell if the helmet is hot to me. Did you have a white or a black version?

I feel very comfortable with the helmet, very spacy and it is better to me than my old Giro Advantage with sunglasses. As a matter of fact, I had a headache during my last IM I think because of the arms of the sunglasses between the helmet and head. So at least that problem is solved.

The only problem I had upto now with the Aerohead was the lost contact lens. But that's not a killer for me, I still have the other eye and even if they fall both out I can still race, having only +2 on both eyes.

Lost my left contact lens yesterday again, closed the left hole in the visor now with tape, see if that helps.
Grinded 5 mm of the bottom of the visor, because it was resting on my cheekbones.

Hey there - what technique / method did you use to grind the visor? Dremel, or good old fashioned sand paper?

Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [brianwchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brianwchan wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
hutchy_belfast wrote:

Hey there - what technique / method did you use to grind the visor? Dremel, or good old fashioned sand paper?

Thx

with a bench grinder
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LSUfan4444 wrote:
I think Im going to make the jump today was curious about heat with the different colors as well. Ive always been scared to go with a black aero helmet, especially when its got a rep for being warmer in the first place.

Also, any suggestions on where to find the best pricing. It seems that $250 with free shipping is pretty standard.

Giro doesn't allow discounting so in this instance the 15% code I have for Trisports won't work. That is why you should be seeing these for $250 everywhere as companies are not supposed to let you discount.

In this situation there are two ways to save money, one is to go the eBay route where people always end up violating their MAP pricing. In this case it looks like $229 shipped is what you got. The other is to try to grab a return from Amazon Warehouse Deals, usually about 15%-25 off if there is ANY availability.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Jordan, if you were to drill the regular Aerohead to add a wee bit more venting where would you do it?

I know you asked Jordan but I would highly recommend not doing that for two reasons:

#1) USAT takes modifying the structural integrity of the foam pretty seriously

and

#2) You have to believe Giro did their homework. Any modification is likely to hurt the aerodynamics.

If the heat is a legitimate concern you might want to look back at the P09. I myself still have my old P9, the recalled version that I wouldn't them pry from hands, which is smaller profile and should be faster. But I am getting ready to sell it as I am Aerohead from here on out.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how all the discounting rules work but with the VIP 20%off special going on at clevertraining, I got an AeroHead for $195 (20% off was $50, then $5 off through points or something).
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I'm not sure how all the discounting rules work but with the VIP 20%off special going on at clevertraining, I got an AeroHead for $195 (20% off was $50, then $5 off through points or something).

Yeah I mean everyone has their gotchas to getting around their MAP pricing. Seems like nearly everyone is coming out with a program to get some sort of edge.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

If the heat is a legitimate concern you might want to look back at the P09. I myself still have my old P9, the recalled version that I wouldn't them pry from hands, which is smaller profile and should be faster. But I am getting ready to sell it as I am Aerohead from here on out.

Why would you sell someone a recalled helmet?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Why would you sell someone a recalled helmet?

Some people actually want this helmet because it is smaller. But fine, I will just trade it for a new one and then sell that.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead - Fit??? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why was there a recall?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Giro doesn't allow discounting so in this instance the 15% code I have for Trisports won't work.

This is not accurate. I'm coached by Sansego and they have discount codes for Giro. You have to be a member but they do have discount directly from Giro.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [FastFreddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FastFreddy wrote:
Quote:
Giro doesn't allow discounting so in this instance the 15% code I have for Trisports won't work.

This is not accurate. I'm coached by Sansego and they have discount codes for Giro. You have to be a member but they do have discount directly from Giro.

Retailers, not clubs. I assume this is why the VIP clubs get away with it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
BMS wrote:
So how's everyone finding this helmet in hot weather? Seems to have a reputation as 'hot', but yet reading through the comments here, it would appear the majority don't believe it's that bad. I expect we'll see more people with it in Kona this year too.

It's average aero helmet as far as how "hot" it feels. I don't think it felt any different than any other aero helmet I've used.

That stated, I'm thinking about drilling a couple little holes in it for extra venting but I'm scared to do so because I know these things are designed with the vents they way they are for airflow and aerodynamics. I'll take suggestions on where to drill. :-)

Knowing that you are from the Houston area as well; how have you been dealing with eye shield fogging? I have found it basically unusable, even up at IM Maryland, having to remove it to be able to see.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've not had fogging issues.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
BMS wrote:

Heat is the concern I have. I just got the aerohead and only wore it once for a quick 40 minute day before race warmup ride. It did fog so I'll have to try some of the anti fog solutions. I'll be trying it on some warmer rides because on the short ride it did feel warmer compared to the lg p-09. For me, the aerohead is far more comfortable as the lg p-09 is sort of clamped on my ears as opposed to aerohead which nothing presses on my ears.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing that hasn't been mentioned for helping with fogging is using toothpaste. With any visor or shield, there is a thin film layer when its brand new. Put some toothpaste on the inside and rub it in real good. Let it sit for 45-60 min and then rinse it out. I've used this method for diving/snorkeling/scuba. Works pretty well and is free.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had some fogging with my Catlike visor last year and tried the fogging wipes I got for free and tried baby shampoo for my race last weekend but then it got cancelled. I will have to test out toothpaste before my next race. Not much worse than not being able to see out of a visor during a race. Well there are a lot worse things but it does suck.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas, I like the idea of flipping it upside down, but my concern is it might make the helmet significantly less aero. What are your thoughts on that. Appreciate the feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i tested this with an athlete... it was on par with an aero road (Evade) helmet with the visor flipped up, but large gap between it up and it on as designed. Also, removing it completely instead of flipping it up was ever so slightly better.
On one athlete, so obviously disclaimer ymmv. but yes, significantly less aero.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next