Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gipiemme Techno 416 650c 40mm wheels??
Quote | Reply
Aluminum clincher rim with 40mm deep profile and 16 bladed spokes. Apparently these wheels were speced on some 1999 Cervelo and Kestrals. I just picked some up used/cheap to give em' a whirl....

Anyone know anything about these wheels? Aeroness (if that is a word)? Durability, serviceability, quality, etc? Overall impression?

jg
Quote Reply
Re: Gipiemme Techno 416 650c 40mm wheels?? [greenjt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Aluminum clincher rim with 40mm deep profile and 16 bladed spokes. Apparently these wheels were speced on some 1999 Cervelo and Kestrals. I just picked some up used/cheap to give em' a whirl....

Anyone know anything about these wheels? Aeroness (if that is a word)? Durability, serviceability, quality, etc? Overall impression?

jg
I got a 700c pair last year for a steal from a shop owner who thought he was upgrading to Campy Ventos. After I'd gotten away with the steal (less than US$200) I was back in the shop and weighed them and measured their rim depth vs. the Ventos, and there was little difference in either respect other than the hubs not being Campy.

I bought them as race wheels for the rare occasion that I race my 700c road bike, but ended up using them for training as well since they worked out so nicely.

I've probably got 15K km. on them and they're perfectly true still. Only thing is the rear started getting crunchy recently and my shop guy thought it was the hub bearings, but upon closer inspection he found it's the freehub body, which he can't figure out how to remove and take apart. So for now I'm on another set but am anxious to get the Gipiemme wheels back on there. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Solid, not that heavy, and pretty darn fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Gipiemme Techno 416 650c 40mm wheels?? [greenjt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know much about wheels, but the guy I bought my bike from said they are pretty aero. They are heavy though. And durable. I've put 5,000kms on mine and they are still true. My BIGGEST problem with them is getting the damn tires on/off. Even the guys at the lbs have problems. Gawd forbid I get a flat on the road.
Quote Reply