Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gift for Relative Cycling Newbie
Quote | Reply
Looking to spend about $500 on a gift for someone who has just gotten into cycling. He has a decent bike, but doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles yet. Open to all your suggestions!

A few things I was thinking...
-Garmin/GPS
-Rapha gift certificiate
Quote Reply
Re: Gift for Relative Cycling Newbie [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tool kit and bike stand

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good lights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go clothing. Nice set of bib shorts and jersey will last a long time and most people starting out buy the cheap stuff (because they've just dropped $$$ on a bike!). Depending on climate where you are, a really nice mid weight waterproof layer is also an awesome staple of the cycling wardrobe - e.g. a Castelli Perfetto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the tough part with this. I'm guessing you can identify being that you're here.

You know what YOU like and what works for you. How hard would you be to buy for? My brother is a windsurfer, and a cyclist, and a skiier. I know nothing about windsurfing. I'm sure I could find all sorts of stuff. But no clue if he'd want or use it. Same with skiing. He may be a Rossingol guy and I'm buying him Bolle. Or whatever. Just throwing out the two skiing names I know from watching the Olympics.

Even with cycling that I have some knowledge of. Would he use a box? What kind of computer platform would he want? Or does he want a behind the seat cage? Would he appreciate new wheels of my choice?

With a beginner, that may be a little easier. But you run the risk of him/her ditching your gift for something that excites them more later.

My wife has learned to go with gift cards for me if she wants to do something bike/tri/etc. related.

Or clothes. Clothes are always good. Because they're relatively expensive...the jerseys and such. And it's tough to drop cash personally on long cycling pants or winter gear because...well, I don't use them much. But, I would if I had more of it to use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gift card to LBS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you let us know where the person is located, we can suggest gift card to good LBS.
Here's a tip someone gave me years ago... spend $ on the touch points:
1. Crotch (saddle and good shorts.)
2. Feet: (good shoes, pedals, cleat set up correctly)
3. Hands: (bar tape, gloves)
4. Of course all of those involve a good bike fit. If that hasn't happen yet, would be totally worth the $250-350 it would cost for fit and cleat/pedal setup.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Gift for Relative Cycling Newbie [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're in NYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gift card is the easiest way out and ensures your gift doesn't end up being the totally wrong gift after all. But its also the most boring and trite gift of all. Makes you come across as someone who is not cheap for sure but has also spent zero thought whatsoever on the matter. Best gift in my opinion is something that the presentee would like/love but would most likely not allow themselves to splurge out on. If its something they would eventually just get for themselves at some point you could just outright hand them the cash you're thinking of spending on the gift.

A good gift for that matter could be a top of the line bib short if they'd otherwise just get themselves a cheap pair of bibs, or maybe even a thorough bike fit if you think they're lacking in that department.
Last edited by: surrey85: Aug 1, 18 11:53
Quote Reply
Re: Gift for Relative Cycling Newbie [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
I'd go clothing. Nice set of bib shorts and jersey will last a long time and most people starting out buy the cheap stuff (because they've just dropped $$$ on a bike!). Depending on climate where you are, a really nice mid weight waterproof layer is also an awesome staple of the cycling wardrobe - e.g. a Castelli Perfetto.

Agree, wish I'd had bib shorts/a nice kit and then the legit accessories like good gloves, vest, arm warmer, toe covers, etc...those things are a mystery for a newbie! Even when I sorta knew, it would have been nice to have someone in the know say "you might want to consider this, not that"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question for the GC answers out there:

If the person is NEW to cycling, how are they supposed to know what to buy with said GC?

I'd give a pro fit on the bike, with extra cash/gc to swap out any components that need updating like saddle, pedals, etc. that a great bike fitter would recommend

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Gift for Relative Cycling Newbie [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
Good lights

This, plus a basic bike computer. Also if he's really really new, a mini pump/c02 combo, tire levers, patch kit, bike tool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Looking to spend about $500 on a gift for someone who has just gotten into cycling. He has a decent bike, but doesn't have a lot of the bells and whistles yet. Open to all your suggestions!

-Garmin/GPS
-Rapha gift certificiate

A good bike fit. If he hasn't had one, that's no 1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're on the right track with the garmin bike computer. My suggestion would be a garmin bike computer and the garmin varia radar. I have the garmin 520 bike computer and have been very happy with it and it plays well with the varia bike radar. Do a little reading or watch some videos on the varia radar. It is a great safety aid when riding to alert you of when a car is coming up from behind you and also lets you know how far away the car is and if they're approaching at excessive speed. I've had mine for over a year and feel naked riding without it. This would definitely be something a newb probably has no idea exists but would get an immediate benefit from. The bike computer works with the radar to display a visual of where the vehicle(s) are in relation to you, and obviously the computer will help them track their distance/time/speed, etc. to be able to have data to chart improvements over time. If you have any money left over, you could add a garmin cadence sensor to provide more useful data.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Gift for Relative Cycling Newbie [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
A good bike fit. If he hasn't had one, that's no 1.

Exactly.

Get them started in a way that they won't get hurt from a poor fit. Over time they'll decide what they want or are interested in, but getting started a fit is easily the #1 choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to help them get better, a good GPS bike computer is a basic must have and it opens up a lot of doors in terms of training. Get that and a heart rate strap if that don't already have one would be a great beginner gift and you're still under budget.

Also, for $500 you can get a trainer and a year's TrainerRoad or Zwift subscription.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get them some quality tools as well, for home wrenching, and a nice multitool (Topeak Mini 9) for their jersey pocket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're on the right track.

Garmin Edge Explore
Nearly every possible feature except power meter support and Strava live segments
$250

The new Bontrager Flare set
Crazy visible and can be controlled by most Garmin computers
$115

Ritchey Torque key (5 NM)
This will basically take care of any bolt on a bike
$23

Swiftwick Cycling Socks
Everybody loves socks
$19

The first two + either the third or fourth should put you right at $400. Use the rest of the budget for a local bike shop gift certificate. That super nice of you to want to give them some cool stuff to support their new habit.....uh, hobby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Throwing a small curve in...

Garmin is one option that has the full mix of computer/sensors. Wahoo is another option and their users there have generally been very happy with the products.

If the Varia radar is in the cards, then Wahoo won't be the best choice though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:

-Garmin/GPS
-Rapha gift certificiate

A Cycliq Fly-12 CE front facing camera, a Cycliq Fly-6 CE rear facing camera, and two SIM cards that will hold up to 8-10 hours of video each will cost you about $500 and will be the best gift you can give a cyclist, especially one that may want to ride in the dark. The cameras have excellent lights (multiple modes) and can run for up to 8 hours before recharging.

Love my cameras and use them on every non-race ride. The lights make you safer and, while the cameras don't necessarily make you safer, they have proven helpful in reporting dangerous drivers to the police on more than one occasion for me.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply