Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giant contend 3 vs Specialized Allez vs Trek Domane
Quote | Reply
Looking to add an entry level bike to my collection as a rainy day bike/commuter. Looking at the Giant Contend 3 which is only $650 with Claris, the Allez which is about $875, the Domane which I think is $825 (I found one for $750 clearance at an LBS), or maybe a CAAD Optimo.

My first bike was an 8 speed Allez it was amazing. But wondering if the Giant is any good. Seems ok but I wonder about the alloy fork. I may also look used since this is a beater bike, but I like the idea of the 8 speed trans and in some models exterior cables for maintenance. Any experience with these models?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Giant contend 3 vs Specialized Allez vs Trek Domane [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry about cable routing

I have a couple mountain bikes that haven't had cables or housing replaced in 15 years and still shift perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant contend 3 vs Specialized Allez vs Trek Domane [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very well. My TT bike is all internal but that's that. The real concern I'm mulling over is the alloy fork on the Giant going to drop the quality enough where after riding my Felt B10 am I going to hate it? I can say without a doubt I'll love an Allez either way, most likely the same with the Trek, Optimo, or almost anything else. BUT with all that said if the Contend rides as well as the Allez and for less than $700??? Brand new???? With all the shop support that comes with a new bike?????

Quote Reply
Re: Giant contend 3 vs Specialized Allez vs Trek Domane [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to say this, but your bike shop might not be there in a month.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant contend 3 vs Specialized Allez vs Trek Domane [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, also one of the reasons I was looking to buy new. Do what little I can to help a shop.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a Giant road bike (TCR not a Contend) and I'm a big fan, but generally I think the value is in their carbon frames and not so much in their entry-level aluminum bikes. And personally I wouldn't want an aluminum fork but I also haven't ridden one in a long time so that might be unfounded.

I have a buddy who has an entry-level aluminum Allez that he bought new maybe 2 years ago. Nice bike for the money, it would definitely be on my short list in that price range.

No experience with the Domane so can't comment there.

Any consideration for disc brakes given your intended use? The Contend AR3 at $1,000 seems like a good deal with mechanical discs, carbon fork and a step up to Sora groupset.
Quote Reply