Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giant TCR Composite v. Kestrel Talon SL
Quote | Reply
I think these both make respectable road bikes, but I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on their use as tri bikes. They both seem to have a decent amount of trail, which makes me think that it might not be that bad with the aero bars on it (at least they would be better than my current ride which has a 73.5 degree head tube and a 45mm rake fork).

The Talon has lots of pictures with the aero kit, but is this legit or just BS?

I am looking at a bike that I can use for a while as my road and tri bike, so the variable geometry it attractive and the ride is pretty nice. I know, I should be looking at the soloist, and it is on my list, but I don't think there is a 56 in stock anywhere on the planet - and I am looking at carbon.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR Composite v. Kestrel Talon SL [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TCR has a compact frame geometry very similiar to the Soloist so can be set up the same way at 75/76 for tri/TT. Get a neutral seat post and put your seat forward and you should be in that ballpark. Luc VanLierde won IM Kona and Team ONCE won three TDF team TT's on TCR's.

Don't know anything first hand about the Talon, but a lot of people seem to be using them.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant TCR Composite v. Kestrel Talon SL [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as they fit, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I think the keys will be finding which bike has the 'right' sized top tube for you, so that your cockpit distance is reasonable without requiring a very short or very long stem as you move the saddle forward. You may also want to make sure you'll have enough drop to get into a good aero position, but this is more of a problem for shorter riders.

Giants seem to be a very good deal but Kestrel has a lifetime warranty, I think.

FWIW Macca kicks some serious butt on his Kestrel, and Luke Bell flies on his Giant Composite
Quote Reply