Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giant Power Pro
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if chainrings can be swapped out on these, like to full or compact? There isn’t much information online. It seems like a stock ultegra crank, but I can’t tell if the module on the drive side prevents swapping out the rings.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Power Pro [davetopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. The power pod is attached with 2 bolts. Once it is removed you change the rings like any other crank. What no one has been able to tell me is what that does to calibration of the unit.

BTW, we are discussing your exact question over on weight weenies right now.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Power Pro [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I checked out the WW post. It is nearly impossible to get information on this thing, but with fact that it is effectively a “free” PM, I’m not too eager to change the BB and move my quarq over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetopia wrote:
It is nearly impossible to get information on this thing, but with fact that it is effectively a “free” PM

And that's pretty much the value that should be put on it. Mine was dropping out >700W. A few firmware updates later (with no published changelog) it's better. Appears to have cadence related issues along with the standard accuracy issues of Shimano right side cranks with a strain gauge slapped onto it.

They're now onto the MY20 model of this power meter according to their mobile app. Even less is known about that unit.

It's a good 'free PM', sure. It's not a power meter I can use as a baseline to compare anything else to.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Power Pro [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gplama wrote:
davetopia wrote:
It is nearly impossible to get information on this thing, but with fact that it is effectively a “free” PM

And that's pretty much the value that should be put on it. Mine was dropping out >700W. A few firmware updates later (with no published changelog) it's better. Appears to have cadence related issues along with the standard accuracy issues of Shimano right side cranks with a strain gauge slapped onto it.

They're now onto the MY20 model of this power meter according to their mobile app. Even less is known about that unit.

It's a good 'free PM', sure. It's not a power meter I can use as a baseline to compare anything else to.

Shane, we actually have the same bike. Fortunately or unfortunately, I don't have the problem of being able to sprint at 700W. My unit has at least been consistent, but I'm convinced it's reading a tad high. Battery life leaves a lot to be desired but at least it's rechargeable. As long as it maintains consistency, I'm going to stay away from touching the firmware, especially with the lack of changelog as you mention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetopia wrote:
I'm convinced it's reading a tad high. Battery life leaves a lot to be desired but at least it's rechargeable. As long as it maintains consistency, I'm going to stay away from touching the firmware, especially with the lack of changelog as you mention.

I'm deeeeeeeeep into putting something together on the topic of Shimano cranksets as power meters. I have a year of data across nine Shimano cranksets all compared to other meters and known good smart trainer power sources. And looking up the Giant Power Pro in this report... yep. My right side reads ~7.5W high at 250W. More at higher watts. And similar, if not more outside. I'll keep throwing any new firmware at it. If it still doesn't work I'll throw the cranks back at the bike shop I purchased the bike from before my warranty ends. /rant.

Having said that. It's not as bad as some. I've heard others mention the battery life issue. I'm swapping cranks more than underpants lately so I haven't kept track of the drain/recharge.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply