Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giant Comp. VS Trek TT
Quote | Reply
I am presently building my giant tcr team composite, and like it so much that I am thinking of scrapping my plans to get a trek team time trial as a pro-deal. anyone have any guesses about the time savings of the trek of the tcr assuming same wheels, aero setup, and geometry, the trek is essentially road geometry. ride a 40k tt in 53:35, not the best judge, but just to give some speed idea. the tcr fork is moderately aero, just don't know if it is worth the extra 2000.

thanks

also, will be used just for TT, not planning to use as a tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Comp. VS Trek TT [trijunior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the best aero frames will save aprox. 60sec. in a 40k over a big round tubed bike with no aero fork. So I'd guess that the Trek TT will get you around 30 sec or so over the Giant all else equal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do I understand that you are using the Giant only at a TT bike also, or instead of the proposed Trek. Unless you are worried about UCI rules I would not consider either of these bikes just for TTs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend getting the Trek TT with the pro deal. Upgrading stuff on the Giant. And then sending me the TT bike cause your a nice guy.

Or if you don't want to.....
I'd say keep the cash and just buy better TT equipment. Fancy Aerobars, Aero wheels, and a better fork will save more time than an aero tubed frame.

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Comp. VS Trek TT [Luntzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the Trek TT will get you around 30 sec or so over the Giant all else equal."

I'd give 30 seconds max, probably closer to 20. Cobb told me in an email that he thinks a Soloist might have ten seconds over a TCR on a 40 kms TT, so figure it from there. ONCE and Postal have always been quite heads up on the TT's over the past few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest buying the bike for the type of courses you'll ber racing over. i know my physics but to be fair the claims made in the wind tunnel just aren't reflective of 'real world' riding plus there's chaos theory to take into account. Buy for comfort, fit, and feel. Many a good biker rides not always the most aero frame but one that has served them well over time. However to be honest if it's a road bike versus an aero TT bike there are probably stronger candidates for bikes that fit this profile than the trek. still bikes aren't cheap so also bear in mind how long you have to live with it. Dream bikes always keep you smiling.........

20 secs sounds claim bonus about right but the variables involved especially wheel choice and the weather could change this radically.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Comp. VS Trek TT [BDyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would you guys reccomend then. I want a slack angled bike, better for TT's. Not too hilly but nats will be. I have access to a nice abici time machine, 800 frame fork headset. Cervelo is an option but have ridden a p2k and want to try something else, nice though. any other ideas. i sure like the carbon giant a lot over an s-works, soloist, and other alu bikes for ride. wondering if it is the same for TT bikes, that's why the trek, especially with a pro deal seems the obvious choice.

thanks
Quote Reply