Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giant Bikes — Impressions?
Quote | Reply
I’m looking at their top end road bikes. I’m not very familiar with the brand, despite their huge global footprint. How do people feel about their TCR series? How about their house brand wheels?

There isn’t a lot of talk about Giant around here.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Bikes — Impressions? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
I’m looking at their top end road bikes. I’m not very familiar with the brand, despite their huge global footprint. How do people feel about their TCR series? How about their house brand wheels?

I rode a TCR2 CF bike with Ultegra for 10+ years. Loved that bike, coming from a Trek. Bought a Cervelo C3 last summer, in line with my P2C. Wish I had bought another Giant. Love my Cervelo, but the Giant was a great high quality bike for a great price and fit like a glove. Ultimately, if it fits and you like it, get it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems all my mates here are on the ambassador program and have ridden them for years and my brother owns a Giant shop. The TCR is the bike you want if you want a road bike and everyone I know who rides one loves them. Decent bike and great value here in Australia. The UCI teams that ride Giants are using their wheels to my mates and brother have only talked up that they are a good wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to have the same bike as 100,000 other people, go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:

I went for the TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc a just before Christmas. Ultegra Di2, hydro discs, and the Giant power meter on the bike = best deal I could find. So it came down to price and a brand I knew. I've posted a few videos over on YouTube with an initial run-down, a few Di2 upgrades, and a six-week 1500km update posted yesterday.

tldw; It's fine. I'm happy with it.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Bikes — Impressions? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Why doesn't this apply to cars too? It's a bike, not a fingerprint.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that the only reason he should (or should not assuming you are being sarcastic) go for it? Any else to add?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 1, 19 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought an aluminium TCR 15 years ago. Great bike, no problems. I used it for 10+ years, including 10 IM's.

I replaced it with a Giant Propel, as an upgrade to a carbon frame. The Defy was reliable, though I found it a little uncomfortable on long rides.

My Propel was stolen so I replaced it with a Defy with disk brakes. The Defy is great to ride, very comfortable.

I have never had any major problems with my Giants. Components wear out (cassettes, brake cables, etc) but are easy to replace.

As someone else pointed out Giants are good value bikes in Australia.

BTW my TT bike is a P2 as the Giant Trinity did not fit me as well as a P2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The integrated seat post kills me. I want no part of an ISP. Otherwise I’d probably ride one...heck they sponsor my team (but that only means discounts).

I think a lot of people just want a premium brand and they’re not necessarily seen as that—even though they actually do the manufacturing for many of the “premium” brands out there...
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Bikes — Impressions? [AGTC1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AGTC1 wrote:
The integrated seat post kills me. I want no part of an ISP. Otherwise I’d probably ride one...heck they sponsor my team (but that only means discounts).

I think a lot of people just want a premium brand and they’re not necessarily seen as that—even though they actually do the manufacturing for many of the “premium” brands out there...

So why not just get one step down from the top models so that you don't have the ISP?

Great bikes, great value IMHO compared to other brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2017 TCR and I love it. I find it fast and responsive, but comfortable enough for long rides. Great quality, great warranty on the frame, and hard to beat the price. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Not the flashiest bike around but a solid value.

I'm no wheel expert but from what I've ready their house brand wheels are pretty decent. I have no complaints with the wheels that came on my bike but at some point I'll replace them with something a little deeper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Yeah, he should show his uniqueness by buying a Cervelo, Felt, Specialized, Trek, or Cannondale.

To the OP, Giant makes great bikes. Some of their paint schemes leave something to be desired... as is true of all the others. If it fits and you like it, buy it.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a TCR and am very happy with it. I believe Giant manufactures their own carbon which allows them to put together a nice package for a good price. I ended up ordering a set of HED wheels when I got the bike and sold the stock wheels unused so I can't report on them. I have no reservation recommending a TCR.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Bikes — Impressions? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a Parlee?
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Bikes — Impressions? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Life is too short to ride non-top shelf bikes :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been on Giants for years and have nothing bad to say. Currently ride a TCR road bike and their Toughroad GX gravel bike. Hard to beat the bike you get for the money. I raced a Trinity tri bike for years also and it fit me perfect and was plenty fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Bikes — Impressions? [AGTC1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AGTC1 wrote:
Life is too short to ride non-top shelf bikes :)

Lol, you can always 're-dress' it with top shelf gear/wheels, and still have a normal seat post!! :)

Was at my local Giant store recently, the top of line disc propel's were beautiful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a long time 'industry guy' I look at this rather differently..
The reality is that there are probably 4 top end Taiwanese manufacturers and another 6 mainland China manufacturers of 'commercial' carbon frames. Outside of that there are probably another dozen or so very high end custom or near custom US and European companies in this game..

Of the Asian manufacturers, Giant is without a doubt the best or at worst second best player... this is why they openly produce for Trek and Colnago and quietly produce for a handful of other high level brands. From my experience when we were developing the first fully automated bicycle CFD programming at Zipp, we laser scanned hundreds of frames to create CFD models and the Giant built frames stood out as being straighter and better aligned than most. By the end of that project we had modeled a few hundred frames and the engineers who cleaned up the scan data to make CFD models could quite literally tell which of the frames were made by Giant by their overall accuracy and alignment.

Having said that, there are true handmade makers out there such are Parlee (in some models), Allied, Alchemy, Calfee, FiftyOne, Crumptom, Appleman, and others that I'm just not recalling at the moment who are truly handmade outside of Asia using very different methodologies that are a completely different story altogether..

I don't always agree with Giant designs in terms of aero, aesthetics, or maybe some other features, but from a manufacturing point of view, they build a top not frame with exceptional dimensional accuracy and excellent warranty/service/support backend, and the do it at a very fair price. I would also point out that since they build frames for some of the top brands, they also have to do their own things while not looking too much like any of the brands they produce for.. which is not easy..

Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Bikes — Impressions? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
do their own things while not looking too much like any of the brands they produce for.. which is not easy..

Worth pointing out that Giant of yesteryear had the balls to allow Mike Burrows to design and mass market the (at the time) radical compact geometry that forever changed road bike design and manufacturing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a cross guy. I have been on a TCX the last two seasons and it has been a great bike. I will definitely consider a TCR when it is time to get a new road bike. Their products are top notch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giant is just that... giant. They make frames for many bike brands. So be careful bashing thrm, as they may make your bike also.

Spec for money, they are hard to beat. No question.

I have a 2018 tcx advanced sx, and it is pretty nice. But the stock wheels were HEAVY. So although spec was good for the money, they have some serious cost cutting components also. High end would likely be better. As one friend said, “they may cut corners, but for the same money, other brands will cut more corners.”

So, great frame for the money.

I also think that compared to other larger innovation driven brands (scott, trek, specialized), giant is behind in tech. I like the performance focused brands that are not aftaid to innovate (scott, felt, cervello). Giant really focused on 27.5 for mountain bikes, and only just released a fat bike. Not a brand for leading innovation.

But i am not really a fan. I suppose i don’t like mass produced bikes. Call me a snob. I like something a little different, even if it does not need to be boutique brand. I really support brands bred on competition... same for cars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Giants are a great value. For a similarly equipped Trek, Cannondale, or Specialized, you'll pay $300-500 more.

I have a 2013 TCR Advanced with 10sp Ultegra dI2. Best crit bike I've ever had. Fast, too. My lady has a 2017 Liv and loves it.

The only thing I don't like is that you can't change sizes of components. Mine is a large. It came with a 110 stem and a 175 crank. I needed a 12 stem (easy enough and I bought their stiffer carbon stem), but the dealer wouldn't swap cranks, even when I offered to pay retail for the new crank and take wholesale for the old. He didn't want a crank sitting in inventory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trinity was a great bike. Giant can be a gateway drug. I'd buy another one, but the largest dealer in Phoenix went out of business. And since getting into and knowing the importance of a Fit, none of the other dealers know jack about fit. So I'll probably buy an Argon Road Bike from the tri-shop that places an emphasis on fit.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Bikes — Impressions? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked this Giant up about a week ago. Didn't really know what it was, had to research it. TCR Advanced Pro. Just took it for the first ride today.

I was actually looking for anything decent with SRAM E-tap as a bit of a backup system for the P5X.

The owner converted to a new E-Tap kit this past summer. Shifts amazing. Dura-Ace brakes are awesome. Ultegra wheels, tubeless and crank set. Has the oversizeII steerer with a stem way out there.

Not much to "fit" on road bikes. Pick your frame size preference and go at it. I went "L" because of the longer wheel base and taller head tube. It's a longer TTube than I'm used to so I need to reel that in. e.g. Bump saddle inward and swap in a stem that's a good 20mm shorter. Seat needs to go another 1/4"++ higher too.

She rides like a dream! OMG it's a great frame, with deft turn-in, high speed stability and super smooth. Wheels are perfectly balanced. Braking is disc-like with the Dura-Ace calipers. This bike took a trip to France and the guy rode a bunch of the TDF stages on it. Modern classic. Paid $2300 USD for it. I think everyone has the disc brake blinkers on, so there are deals to be had! They guy selling got a TCR disc 2018.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Last edited by: SharkFM: Feb 3, 19 16:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a 2007 TCR Advanced 0, and it's still going strong. Did IMNZ on it in 2008 (although now back on a tri-bike) but it's been great, and I don't seem to be able to break it to justify buying a new bike... Drive train and other consumables have been replaced, and the wheels upgraded somewhere along the way, but it's still pretty light (around 8kg) for size ML.

Front end is twitchy, but I think that was cured yonks ago in the following model year maybe? Other than that (which isn't a big issue really) I really can't fault it.

Just after I got it, a couple of bike snobs were a tad derogatory about it, but then I didn't have mega $$ to throw at a bike back then. And I'm faster than they are. :o)
Quote Reply

Prev Next