Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting used to Aero by raising cockpit.
Quote | Reply
I have not ridden much for a few years and haven't been on my TT bike at all for about 2 years. Even then I was never really comfortable on it, I got a fit when I purchased it but not sure it was ever correct to be honest.

I am looking to get back into tri's and I need to work on being able to get and stay aero.

I was thinking about buying an adjustable stem and setting up my cockpit high for a start then once I can hold that work down into more aggressive position to see what happens to comfort and power.

It leaves me with 2 questions:

1. Is this a worthwhile plan, or am I better off just doing aero intervals in current set up and extending the time.
2. What else should I adjust when raising or lowering the cockpit.

Once I am back in the groove I will look at getting fit again, but I want to make sure I am in reasonable condition before going down that path.

Happy to hear any thoughts!
Quote Reply
Re: Getting used to Aero by raising cockpit. [Toolish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome questions.

So the fact of the matter is that everyones position tends to change over time. It makes total sense that you would move from a less aggressive position to a more aggressive position over time. As your body becomes more accustomed to the bike and your flexibility, strength, and body morphology changes you will slowly adjust.

What is the bike you currently have? If you have any pictures of your current setup that would be helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would start with a proper fitting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with raising the cockpit is that it may prevent proper pevlic rotation (you sit back on your sit bones and get to the pads by bending your spine vs by rolling your pelvis forward on the saddle). I'd just ease into it with limited time in aero, increasing as you adapt.

If you do want to try a higher pad position, one easy way is to put an additional set of pads on top of the armrests (secured with rubber bands). This adds 10mm to the stack height, but is easy to remove mid-workout.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To start with
- higher and lower mean absolutely nothing without a reference point.

You're much better off either starting with a good fit, or posting some pictures/videos here and getting feedback.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Getting used to Aero by raising cockpit. [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would start with a proper fitting.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS x 1000

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toolish wrote:
I have not ridden much for a few years and haven't been on my TT bike at all for about 2 years. Even then I was never really comfortable on it, I got a fit when I purchased it but not sure it was ever correct to be honest.

If you weren't comfortable, it wasn't a good fit. It should be comfortable on day 1. Maybe your contact points will need tome toughening up to get used to bearing your weight. But, it should be easily comfortable out of the gate.

As everyone else said.... Get the fit first. Riding a bad fit is not worth the pain.
Quote Reply