Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Getting a Canyon To Canada
Quote | Reply
I am looking at maybe getting tri bike to replace my 8 year old machine that is based on a 12 year old frame design. Canyon looks like they have nice machines and great value and I think the XS stack reach is pretty well perfect.

But it seems they can't ship to Canada. Does anyone have a live human contact there. I can get it shipped to a location at USA, but as I can't head over without a 14 day quarantine when I bring it back, I need it to be shipped directly to Canada.

Anyone with any success (well minus Lionel Sanders ???)

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Getting a Canyon To Canada [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I am looking at maybe getting tri bike to replace my 8 year old machine that is based on a 12 year old frame design. Canyon looks like they have nice machines and great value and I think the XS stack reach is pretty well perfect.

But it seems they can't ship to Canada. Does anyone have a live human contact there. I can get it shipped to a location at USA, but as I can't head over without a 14 day quarantine when I bring it back, I need it to be shipped directly to Canada.

Dev

will they ship to a forwarding service? That might be your best bet.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Getting a Canyon To Canada [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Dev

will they ship to a forwarding service? That might be your best bet.

At this point we need them to ship to Lionel and set him up as the Canada depot!!! Might be more revenue than pro triathlon!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Getting a Canyon To Canada [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I have never shipped anything as big as a bike, but I use https://www.reship.com/about.html for items that are sold only in Canada. This is just one of many similar companies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check with Velofix, I know that they take delivery and do builds for Canyon in the US, I am not sure if they are currently doing that in Canada, but it's worth checking to see if they might be able to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly Canyon won't ship to Canada. I tried when I got my Speedmax when it was first available in the US (I think I had the first Speedmax SLX in Canada). I had to ship it to the States and drive it back myself. I used a shipping company by the border (Derby Line) accepting packages for Canadians. Their services costed me a whole $4 US! I made sure I was there a few hours after it got delivered just to be safe. I then went back to the border crossing and re-entered Canada.

I cross the border multiple times per day as an Airline pilot, so I had to declare it to not have any issues with my file. I don't want to be sent to secondary search every flight I do for the next few years. I only had to pay the Canadian taxes. I had the sales receipt ready and everything went smoothly. The bike was still ''unassembled'' in the box. The Speedmax box is quite huge. The Custom officer sent us inside right away. Nobody actually looked inside the car or inside the box.

It is up to you if you want to assemble it, ride it for a bit and throw it on your bike rack to ''potentially save'' on the taxes, but I recommend playing it safe. My Speedmax was still cheaper that way.

And as for the quarantine problem, I would recommend waiting until the restrictions are lifted to save thousands of dollars in shipping, taxes and duties.

Feel free to DM me for more info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d highly suggest a different bike. Let’s say you manage to get your bike, how are you going to get spare parts? They’re hard enough to come by in the US given frequent out of stock issues and support people who never seem to know what you’re asking for. Are you going to jump through hoops every time something breaks or you decide you need another accessory? I think Canyon bikes are good value for money, but the post-sale service sucks even in markets where you theoretically should be able to get good service. I can’t imagine what a pain in the ass it would be to own a Canyon in a country where they aren’t available for sale. (I had two, sold both).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Forget about that for now. I've been trying to get a Canyon for years, just because...well, publicity you know.
Be patient, I heard they were trying to find a warehouse/facility somewhere in Canada, and start distributing here soon...

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like mentioned above, Velofix can get you one.

Here's the official word from Canyon – next spring: https://www.canyon.com/en-ca

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Getting a Canyon To Canada [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
Like mentioned above, Velofix can get you one.

Here's the official word from Canyon – next spring: https://www.canyon.com/en-ca

Are you waying Velofix in Canada can get us one now?
Quote Reply
Re: Getting a Canyon To Canada [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I’d highly suggest a different bike. Let’s say you manage to get your bike, how are you going to get spare parts? They’re hard enough to come by in the US given frequent out of stock issues and support people who never seem to know what you’re asking for. Are you going to jump through hoops every time something breaks or you decide you need another accessory? I think Canyon bikes are good value for money, but the post-sale service sucks even in markets where you theoretically should be able to get good service. I can’t imagine what a pain in the ass it would be to own a Canyon in a country where they aren’t available for sale. (I had two, sold both).

The shop that I bought my Argon 18 e118 tri+ from had a Canyon Speedmax. I looked at it and said wow a Canyon. The shop owner replied that the bike was a POS. He's right. You're in Canada Dev. Buy an Argon 18 E118 tri+, Cervelo P5, Cervelo P3X, etc. There are so many better bikes out there manufactured in Canada. Why mess with something you can't even get and may struggle with finding parts in a timely manner later. My friend bought one and it's a nice ride, but no disc brakes and costs what new disc brake bikes cost. Why buy old tech for a similar price? I get it that it's cool to have the bike no one else owns, but you do have way better options in the same price range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:

I am not refuting your experience, but I will say this is the complete opposite of my experience with Canyon. I bought an Canyon Ultimate in April and not only does it bring a big smile to my face every time I ride it, the customer service has been exceptional. I lost a couple of parts on the bike when I brought it back to Canada and I reached out to them and, without hesitation, they shipped me the parts (cap and screw for handlebar stem) to my US address (from there mailed to Canada). I also ordered the wrong Garmin computer attachment and it was a breeze returning it for a full refund.

@Dev - even being in Canada, I would still suggest buying from Canyon for four reasons. One, the bikes are made with the highest degree of quality and I think the risk of quality problems is low. Second, they are responsive and once you have the bike, I am sure you will find a delivery service (USPS) that you can get them to ship you small parts and it is not likely you will need to. Thirdly, the bikes are amazing. Granted, I am comparing to my last bike which got stolen, which was a 2004'ish Cervelo Soloist that I loved, so it was dated. Fourthly, They will be opening a Canadian branch very soon - I understand it would have been opened already but a "little something" called COVID threw the timeline into a tailspin.

I was of the mindset that bikes have not really improved that much since 2004, but I think I am proven wrong. I am 49 now and have not competed in a race since 1994...those days are gone...yet, I have been able to improve my cycling quickly over a few months where I am almost at the cycling ability I was back then and I will soon surpass, and I attribute this to the bike along with my passion to get on the bike and do quality training because I love the bike this much.

Last edited by: AJHull: Jul 21, 20 9:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a German Bike, buy it in Europe?
(psssst they'll let you in)....:0)
They might have races before the US
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Jul 21, 20 10:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last I heard (back in January) was that they were really close to opening up Canadian distribution, and I heard this directly from a couple of the US reps. That was pre-covid though, and I'm sure that has complicated things for them. But at least there is some hope for us!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Dev

Check out the Import tariffs... not the same for "complete bike" (13%+Fed+Prov+broker) than "bike parts" (0%+Fed+Prov+broker)

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/...acl/est-cal-eng.html
Last edited by: benleg: Jul 21, 20 10:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Shipping to Canada next spring

https://www.canyon.com/...qo2PKIEAkfAiL0t0u-pg
Quote Reply
Re: Getting a Canyon To Canada [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also this is key for sure! I made this mistake earlier this year, and ended up paying the full 13% (I was lazy and bought a complete bike)... should have bought a frameset and sourced my parts locally instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting a Canyon To Canada [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
Also this is key for sure! I made this mistake earlier this year, and ended up paying the full 13% (I was lazy and bought a complete bike)... should have bought a frameset and sourced my parts locally instead.

So better to leave it in the box (not fully assembled) and report as bike parts?
Quote Reply
Re: Getting a Canyon To Canada [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:
kerikstri wrote:

So better to leave it in the box (not fully assembled) and report as bike parts?

I think the federal government want Canadian to be paid to put your bike together... not someone in a country of origin.

I assume that all the major manufacturers send parts to the local distributors that put all the parts together and send a single box to your LBS.

I'm pretty sure that if you order a complete bike in a single box you will pay the extra 13%.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting a Canyon To Canada [WFPB Athlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:
I looked at it and said wow a Canyon. The shop owner replied that the bike was a POS.

Shocked that a local bike shop is badmouthing a direct to consumer brand. SHOCKED.

I would ask them to tell me HOW, specifically, with empirical evidence that Canyon's are in fact bad bikes, not some bullshit heresay that my best friends girlfriend was a nurse and heard from a patient about a buddy who rode a canyon once and it broke...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Let’s say you manage to get your bike, how are you going to get spare parts?

Like what? What kind of proprietary parts does Canyon use? A derailleur hanger maybe? I'm not sure I could get one of those for several of my older bikes at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting a Canyon To Canada [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Shipping to Canada next spring

https://www.canyon.com/...qo2PKIEAkfAiL0t0u-pg

Lmao! Maybe Spring 2021...barring we don't have another Covid19 crisis. Seriously I would be so FML waiting on a bike for 8 months only to have to wait on any shipping delays, back orders, etc. God forbid you have an issue with the bike and have to return it. Haven't we learned anything from Covid19? I'd be thinking of buying local unless there was no suitable alternative. If you're hell bent on a Canyon, then a Canyon it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting a Canyon To Canada [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
wintershade wrote:

Like what? What kind of proprietary parts does Canyon use? A derailleur hanger maybe? I'm not sure I could get one of those for several of my older bikes at this point.

Well, when i ordered my P5D frame, they forgot to put few of the parts in the box (small part for the seat post and the thru axle). Took few weeks for my LBS to find them... i can't imagine the mess if something similar happen with a bike from the "grey" market.
Last edited by: benleg: Jul 21, 20 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: Getting a Canyon To Canada [WFPB Athlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WFPB Athlete wrote:
I'd be thinking of buying local unless there was no suitable alternative. If you're hell bent on a Canyon, then a Canyon it is.

What bike brands are manufactured where you live?
Quote Reply
Re: Getting a Canyon To Canada [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benleg wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
wintershade wrote:

Well, when i ordered my P5D frame, they forgot to put few of the parts in the box (small part for the seat post and the thru axle). Took few weeks for my LBS to find them... i can't imagine the mess if something similar happen with a bike from the "grey" market.

Canyon is "grey" market? AYFKM?
Quote Reply

Prev Next