Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting IA Advanced lighter
Quote | Reply
Anyone has some good tips on how to get the Felt IA Advanced Disc as light as possible for a really hilly ironman distance?

What would be the best wheel setup in terms of aerodynamic and lightness?

Would there be any parts thats possible to switch out with 3D printed parts, that doesn’t go on cost of safety🤔
Last edited by: Krigru: Nov 21, 20 2:34
Quote Reply
Re: Getting IA Advanced lighter [Krigru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which groupset version do you have?

The three heaviest components with the greatest opportunity for weight reduction are the crankset, cockpit, and wheels. The 105 version of the Advanced uses very heavy parts there. You can trim about 3 lbs. just upgrading those three, and get more aero too.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting IA Advanced lighter [Krigru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have a '15 IA FRD, yeah, they are somewhat heavy... :)

Some ideas....

- Minimize your flat kit. Don't use a big saddle bag or Xlab contraption, just tape a tube, lever, and C02 up under your saddle, electrical tape onto the rails. Or if you don't really use the bento box on your frame, put the flat kit in there. That is what I did.
- Only carry the amount of liquid that you really you feel you need at any one time, and get refills from aid stations. Full water bottles weigh a lot! This may not be feasible if you are someone who really needs specific drinks due to stomach issues.
- Don't carry solid food on the bike, use liquid cals in the bottle in #2.

I guess a couple of gear changes that don't cost a huge amount:
- lighter skewers, the type that don't have a lever, just a bolt, like those from tririg.
- no bar tape on the extensions, not really needed. And just a small strip of tape on the base bar extensions for some grip, don't need full wrap.
- saddle with carbon rails
- if using speed plays, switch to ti spindle model (though a little $$)

All that said, I really don't think you will gain much speed/time, the weight of this stuff makes very little difference IMHO...

Oh, agree with what exxx said as well, just might cost a lot of $$$ to upgrade the components and bars.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Nov 21, 20 4:05
Quote Reply