Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting (and staying) heat acclimated, when you otherwise live in AC
Quote | Reply
I live in southern Ontario, where we get about 45 minutes of Spring and go from 7 to 30 degrees with 90% humidity, seemingly overnight. This tends to happen just as B and R sessions are longer and more important for my race.

Unfortunately, I just don't spend enough consistent time outside to really acclimate through work and exposure to the heat. I'll put in the outdoor time and work that comes as a part of training, but the intervening time - living', sleep, and paid work - are all spent in nice, cool AC settings, and I think these undermine or reverse any naturally occurring heat adaptations. (I have, however, been able to achieve or experience adaptations before travelling to hot races through a protocol of sauna time, followed by about 7-10d in the warm weather destination).

Any thoughts (or, pointers to published research) on how I can manage this? or more to the point, how I can reduce the heat impairment that affects so many of my sessions once the weather turns hot? (besides 'get skinny and don't get old.')

(The ideal for me would be to arrive at week 1 of a 12-week period acclimated, and staying that way, while continuing to work, sleep, etc in a normal setting.)

Thanks!
Last edited by: davetallo: Apr 18, 19 12:33
Quote Reply
Re: Getting (and staying) heat acclimated, when you otherwise live in AC [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure this is quite what you are looking for. But growing up in Texas and racing motocross and mountain bikes I was always trying to be better against heat. One thing that worked for me was never using AC in my car. Ever. Until I was like 20. In Houston you spend a lot of time in your car, and I think it helped when I would get to the track or trail that I was walking out of a car that was more or less the same air temp. I have 0 science to back this or anything, but I think it made a difference.
It also likely cost me a couple girl friends who would scream at me to cool the car down,
Quote Reply
Re: Getting (and staying) heat acclimated, when you otherwise live in AC [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wrote an article on this in 2006 that I think still applies. The "sauna protocol" wasn't around yet, but a lot of other tricks and considerations are in there.

Page 1 and Page 2 (both .pdf).
Quote Reply