Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Get Rid of the Glasses
Quote | Reply
I would like to get rid of my prescription riding glasses for a helmet with shield. Looking at the Giro Aerohead. I cannot see my bike computer without them.

Any creative solutions out there?
Quote Reply
Re: Get Rid of the Glasses [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contacts
Quote Reply
Re: Get Rid of the Glasses [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have put in my post that I have tried using contacts but they don't agree with me. They irritate my eyes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be in that same boat with contacts. I went with daily contacts with hydrogel that are essentially quite moist. It made a world of difference for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Get Rid of the Glasses [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will give those a look. Contacts are the obvious solution but I have had little success wearing them.

Do you wear them on the swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the time- 14-18 hours/ day and I get to throw them out each night. I think the tech has progressed quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LASIK or PRK. Had PRK 13 years ago, best decision ever.

Re: Get Rid of the Glasses [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree. prk for me 9 years ago as too much change and not enough cornea for lasik. First month was tough as vision sorted itself out. would do it again without a second thought..

wife had lasik and could see well enough to drive next day and no pain at all.

i have no regrets even though at 53 i am starting to need reading glasses and occasionally glasses to drive at night but i can function without them and they are not the massive and heave -6 or -7 things i had to wear.

wide has started to wear reading glasses and glasses to drive more often than i do, and never really had the powerful and heavy distance glasses i had to wear, so despite lasik being undramatic in any way i think she now wonders why she did it. i think she just did it 5 years early - and in any case it is better to have a -0.75 and be able to function without glasses than a stronger prescription and actually need them all the time.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:

This times 100. Best thing i ever did for my love of doing sports and racing cars.
Quote Reply
Re: Get Rid of the Glasses [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
IKnowEverything wrote:

This times 100. Best thing i ever did for my love of doing sports and racing cars.

Yup... LASIK here 15ish years ago. Best money I have ever spent. Left eye probably needs it again... stupid aging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:

yup, changed my life.

also I just this year hit the "paid for itself" mark. yes LASIK was expensive ($5k all inclusive with touch ups if needed, both eyes), but so were prescription glasses, sunglasses, and contacts/solutions, etc. I was spending about $600/year on that stuff. My doctors could never get my prescriptions quite right either, i was nearsighted, with astigmatisms, and a good dose of higher order aberrations. LASIK fixed them all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if these will help but I ride in Dual Bifocal Sunglasses - 3.0 so I can also read my Garmin

https://www.dualeyewear.com/cycling-sport.html

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
I would like to get rid of my prescription riding glasses for a helmet with shield. Looking at the Giro Aerohead. I cannot see my bike computer without them.

I have the same problem as you, just wonder why you are so focused on getting a helmet with a shield? I guess the Giro Aerohead is the exception, but most aero helmets are faster without the shield anyway.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:

X infinity + 17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Calvin386 and All,

I have had Lasik and eye exams with Dr. Boxer Wachler for many years since his early practice at UCLA Jules Stein Eye Clinic .... now moved to: 465 N. Roxbury Drive, Suite 902, Beverly Hills, CA 90210 ....... Phone 310 594-5209

Beverly Hills, CA 90210
He provides various procedures ...... includng Visian ICL.

Insertable lenses are one of the most exciting new breakthroughs in the field of enhanced vision care. After 13 years of study in Europe, insertable lenses are now approved by FDA to correct vision.

A significant advantage of the Ultrasound-Guided Visian ICL is that this is bicompatible and “in sync” with the body. The Ultrasound-Guided Visian ICL is removable and provides “HD Vision”. Over 500,000 procedures have been done worldwide.

The procedure is outpatient and can be typically performed in 10 minutes per eye with the goal of improvement to the patient’s vision by the very next day. Ultrasound-Guided Visian ICL™ can also be updated with a new prescription should vision change in the future. Potential benefit of Ultrasound-Guided Visian ICL™ is improved eyesight and potential risks are suboptimal vision, infection, inflammation, loss of vision among others. That is the reason that Dr. Brian and every staff member is highly “detail-oriented” about every step of the process for every patient. Dr. Brian and his team have published results in the medical literature and presented results at numerous medical conferences on Ultrasound-Guided Visian ICL™.

Dr. Brian uses a specialized ultrasound device to determine to idealized size of the ICL. The ICL is customized to not just each person, but EACH EYE of each person.

The United States military commonly uses the Ultrasound-Guided Visian ICL on those who serve our country. Their government-funded studies found Ultrasound-Guided Visian ICL provides superior vision over LASIK for higher degrees of nearsightedness.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Get Rid of the Glasses [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Calvin386 wrote:

I have the same problem as you, just wonder why you are so focused on getting a helmet with a shield? I guess the Giro Aerohead is the exception, but most aero helmets are faster without the shield anyway.

Usually my glasses are covered in sweat which hampers my vision. I have already switched to running without any glasses. I have my watch set up in such a way that I can see it despite my bad eyesight. There is no set up where I can see my bike computer without glasses. By mile 20 on the bike, I'm looking through sweaty glasses but I can read the numbers. I was thinking that a shield may alleviate that a bit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might find riding with a shield even more annoying than sweaty glasses...

Like you, I was unable to wear contacts successfully for a long time (decades). Then -- also because I wanted to ride with them -- I asked my eye doctor to please help, and we tried many different types and brands, and the daily ones similar to what was mentioned above worked for me.

----
Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google "stick on reading glasses". They cost about $15 you could stick them on the visor of your helmet. Some guys I work with use them on safety glasses.

Another vote for contact lenses. I use the extended wear type - very comfortable and you can wear them continuously for up to 30 days. No mucking about taking them in and out every day.
Quote Reply
Re: Get Rid of the Glasses [Experior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Experior wrote:
You might find riding with a shield even more annoying than sweaty glasses...

Like you, I was unable to wear contacts successfully for a long time (decades). Then -- also because I wanted to ride with them -- I asked my eye doctor to please help, and we tried many different types and brands, and the daily ones similar to what was mentioned above worked for me.

That's good info and I was a little worried that the shield would get just as sweaty as the glasses.

I may just have to try the contacts.Are your contacts single vision?
Quote Reply
Re: Get Rid of the Glasses [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
Google "stick on reading glasses". They cost about $15 you could stick them on the visor of your helmet. Some guys I work with use them on safety glasses.

Another vote for contact lenses. I use the extended wear type - very comfortable and you can wear them continuously for up to 30 days. No mucking about taking them in and out every day.

Single vision contacts or bifocal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eye doctor here. Without knowing your prescription or age, I can not say if LASIK/PRK would be an option. Daily disposable contact lenses might be an option. Again, this is dependent on your Rx, age, and expectations. Where do you live? I might be able to help you find a good eye doctor who understands your needs.
Last edited by: treyedr: Aug 20, 18 7:29
Quote Reply
Re: Get Rid of the Glasses [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been fit and actually have a set of bifocal contacts. They are good for ~ 30 days. The problem is they irritate my eyes. I probably just haven't given myself enough time to get used to them.
Quote Reply
Re: Get Rid of the Glasses [yrebetta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another + whatever here! My spouse and I both had Lasik done about 10 years ago... best money spent by both of us!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contact lenses, especially the multi focal contact lenses, are like bikes. You may have been fit, but it could be a bad fit. Some lenses work well for certain people but suck in others. Also, when you start getting into the multifocals, the fit becomes exponentially more difficult to fine tune. Most doctors fit the Air Optix MF lenses. They are decent. I fit a lot of the Biofinity MF lenses and have better success with them.

How long have you worn the multi focal lenses? Have you returned to your doctor for follow up “fine tuning”? Most doctors will see you for 30 days after the fitting, at no charge, to adjust things.
Quote Reply
Re: Get Rid of the Glasses [treyedr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
treyedr wrote:
Contact lenses, especially the multi focal contact lenses, are like bikes. You may have been fit, but it could be a bad fit. Some lenses work well for certain people but suck in others. Also, when you start getting into the multifocals, the fit becomes exponentially more difficult to fine tune. Most doctors fit the Air Optix MF lenses. They are decent. I fit a lot of the Biofinity MF lenses and have better success with them.

How long have you worn the multi focal lenses? Have you returned to your doctor for follow up “fine tuning”? Most doctors will see you for 30 days after the fitting, at no charge, to adjust things.

I have not worn them for the full 30 days and have not returned to the doctor. I will schedule a visit. They will see me.

From what I am seeing here, it looks like I need to not give up on the contacts just yet or just get Lasik
Quote Reply

Prev Next