Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gerd and tri bars
Quote | Reply
Looking to get back into longer bike rides.

Problem when I get to 70 miles is acid reflux.

All nutrition from liquids.

Googling around it seems it is caused by a valve not closing properly and acid backwash.

Am reasonably ok in training but the tri bars seem to just switch it on automatically. Because of the position of the stomach etc.

The only available info i could find was for sedentary people and surgical operations...

Anyone else had this and what did you do?
Quote Reply
Re: Gerd and tri bars [wphone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wphone wrote:

Googling around it seems it is caused by a valve not closing properly and acid backwash.

Am reasonably ok in training but the tri bars seem to just switch it on automatically. Because of the position of the stomach etc.

The only available info i could find was for sedentary people and surgical operations...

GERD is very common, had it for years. Usually controllable with dietary changes and/or over the counter meds. Maybe keep a few gaviscon chewable tablets with you on the bike to use as needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Gerd and tri bars [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
wphone wrote:

GERD is very common, had it for years. Usually controllable with dietary changes and/or over the counter meds. Maybe keep a few gaviscon chewable tablets with you on the bike to use as needed.

I got the gaviscon but what dietary changes did you make?
Quote Reply
Re: Gerd and tri bars [wphone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just Google around for the common things that cause reflux and then you can start to narrow down what is giving you trouble (most common are spicy foods, chocolate, alcohol, mint, coffees). You'll need to think about what you've eaten in the several hours before your rides, not just during the rides themselves. If I have anything with mint or very dark chocolate my stomach gets really irritated and the irritation remains long after the food has digested which screws up workouts and even sleep sometimes. If you've not previously taken medication, it will help significantly - I've been taking nexium daily for 10 years and the only things I go out of my way to avoid are minty foods and really dark chocolates.
Quote Reply