https://www.cyclingnews.com/...nts-when-he-retires/

I'd rather hear this from Richie Porte.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Geraint to go Triathlete upon retirement [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Came here to talk about this.
Seems that the trend for retired WT riders will be triathlon. I wonder how that will shape the Kona standings in the coming years.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Glad he isn't in my AG.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Geraint to go Triathlete upon retirement [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[cries in Patrick Lange]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome to here & could raise the profile of triathlon a bit.

It'll be interesting to see how he goes. It's often a more difficult transition, at least to the pro ranks, than I think the pro cyclists think it'll be.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Geraint to go Triathlete upon retirement [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
That's awesome to here & could raise the profile of triathlon a bit.

It'll be interesting to see how he goes. It's often a more difficult transition, at least to the pro ranks, than I think the pro cyclists think it'll be.

I think it's a sad comment on triathlon that it needs athletes from more popular single sports to "raise the profile of triathlon".

And Team Sky... I'm not going to be the one to say it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
It's often a more difficult transition, at least to the pro ranks, than I think the pro cyclists think it'll be.

A friend who did IM Wales the same year I did it commented on my Facebook post re: the GT story that when he volunteered at IM Lou in 2018 he helped Andrew Talansky in the changing tent, and Talansky told him that that was the hardest ride he'd ever done.
Quote Reply
Re: Geraint to go Triathlete upon retirement [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have mixed feelings about this. With so many local triathlons falling by the wayside I'm thinking "whatever it takes" to get Triathlon popular again. I actually like seeing uber bikers go out into the lead and have great runners close the gap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

And yet there you go implying.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I think it's a sad comment on triathlon that it needs athletes from more popular single sports to "raise the profile of triathlon".

I don't get it. What's "sad" about it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

And yet there you go implying.

Implying what? They have nice kits?
Quote Reply
Re: Geraint to go Triathlete upon retirement [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I don't get it. What's "sad" about it?

Especially when things like Call of Duty or other e-sports have world championship prize purses >$1million, pays much deeper than even Ironman Hawaii does(I mean come on WTC pay out more than 10deep at the world champs, don't be cheapskates), sells out arenas faster than some of the biggest names in singing, has entire web channels devoted to streaming games for others to watch and is growing faster than triathlon ever did in it's peak growth years.

I mean can you imagine watching Andy & Rinny do a 3h trainer ride in their basement? Just what everyone wants to see. Some couple riding their bikes for 3 hours on a barely interactive training app, debating who's doing laundry and staring at a wall.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a strange way to look at it. Triathlon doesn't "need" him to raise the profile. Athletes switching sports raises the profile-that's a good thing. I didn't consider it sad for baseball when Michael Jordan tried it and raised significant attention for that sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Geraint to go Triathlete upon retirement [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
That's a strange way to look at it. Triathlon doesn't "need" him to raise the profile. Athletes switching sports raises the profile-that's a good thing. I didn't consider it sad for baseball when Michael Jordan tried it and raised significant attention for that sport.

Baseball is one of the most popular sports in the USA, hardly a fair comparison.

Triathlon is a niche sport with a low profile and pathetic prize purses. We keep hoping for some saviour that is going to make triathlon great.

It's time we actually treated triathlon like a real sport if we want to raise the profile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/...nts-when-he-retires/

I'd rather hear this from Richie Porte.

THE SERGIO will kick his ass.

This is all that matters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
It's time we actually treated triathlon like a real sport if we want to raise the profile.

Who is the "we" here? I think everyone on this forum probably already does. The vast majority of the public-consuming sports world does not, which is fine as they should be able to decide for themselves what sports they want to consume. And, maybe they will give triathlon a try if they get drawn in by other high profile athletes trying it out. At least in my opinion, that's a good thing for the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Geraint to go Triathlete upon retirement [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
Came here to talk about this.
Seems that the trend for retired WT riders will be triathlon. I wonder how that will shape the Kona standings in the coming years.

If you're an older world tour rider, you go to triathlon, if you're a younger world tour rider (american mostly) that finds it too hard, you switch over to gravel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Baseball is one of the most popular sports in the USA, hardly a fair comparison.

Triathlon is a niche sport with a low profile and pathetic prize purses. We keep hoping for some saviour that is going to make triathlon great.

Triathlon is a real sport that is very hard and that few people see themselves doing. Whereas fans in other sports can see themselves playing a video game and catching or kicking a ball. People also don't want to get cancer so they are motivated to do a triathlon and be featured on TV which is another way to gain fame in triathlon.

That other athletes in other sports want to do a triathlon is all upsides to me. The results of the top triathletes are getting so far beyond the average person's ability, there are many average people who don't want to be that far behind the winners.

How much money will ever come to a sport that few people see themselves doing or dreaming about?

Another item that fans enjoy are personable people, like them, lol.

Geraint Thomas seems to have had good press as a TdeF winner and teammate. We would be lucky to get him and have him podium.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Who is the "we" here? I think everyone on this forum probably already does. The vast majority of the public-consuming sports world does not, which is fine as they should be able to decide for themselves what sports they want to consume. And, maybe they will give triathlon a try if they get drawn in by other high profile athletes trying it out. At least in my opinion, that's a good thing for the sport.

Well duh. If you are on ST, you obviously have an interest in the sporting side of triathlon.

Everyone else watches the NBC broadcast and thinks that maybe if they survive cancer someday, they'll be able to do a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

It's all entertainment... its popularity outside of its niche following depends on the sport's ability to entertain/captivate the masses. The sport does need a saviour more than the sport needs to be treated like more of a sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first introduction to triathlon was that same NBC broadcast. So, that broadcast opened the sport to me. And, yes I happen to be a cancer survivor. I'm not really sure I understand your point, but maybe Geraint will open the sport to others. That's a good thing for the sport, regardless of your opinion to the contrary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

What does that even mean? What is a "real sport", and how does one treat a "real sport" differently than "we" treat traithlon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
My first introduction to triathlon was that same NBC broadcast. So, that broadcast opened the sport to me. And, yes I happen to be a cancer survivor. I'm not really sure I understand your point, but maybe Geraint will open the sport to others. That's a good thing for the sport, regardless of your opinion to the contrary.

I disagree on how to grow the sport of triathlon. I don't disagree that he'll being more awareness of it.

FWIW, I have a serious problem with most ex-pro cyclists taking up triathlon given the history of pro cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he can swim a bit like a wurf then that could be great news for Sebi!
Quote Reply
Re: Geraint to go Triathlete upon retirement [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can Wurf wrote:
“I have to say, when I turned around at the end of the 200m stretch of water we use at Larvotto Beach for our supervised open water sessions, I couldn’t believe how close he was. He can definitely swim!

“Following the swim he pulled his running shoes on with me for some speed work, where he seemed at ease rolling along at 3min 40sec a kilometre pace. He absolutely blew me away.”

Seems he can swim and run a bit. G apparently swam competitively as a kid.

From this article.

Cheers, Rich.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jan 16, 20 5:00
Quote Reply

Prev Next