Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Generic Paraffin Wax vs bike-specific Wax?
Quote | Reply
What is one losing by using a generic paraffin wax instead of a bike-specific wax? I know there was some data out there, but I am unable to find it right now. I’m debating using regular paraffin wax for training chains and using the bike-specific stuff for a race chain (if it’s warranted).

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Generic Paraffin Wax vs bike-specific Wax? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Gulf wax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been using generic candles for a couple of years, works pretty well but I’m sure the purists or experts will complain. But it’s super clean and easy and wear seems low
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wax is wax. In theory, some of the additives from bike specific stuff reduces friction, but I would guess there is way more improvement from regular oil-based lubes to wax than there is from the additives. I bought a huge block of parrafin wax from Michaels.
For me waxing chains is about avoiding the black mess and not having to lube every ride during the summer when the dust is like flour. If I happen to go faster, well, that is a bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
What is one losing by using a generic paraffin wax instead of a bike-specific wax? I know there was some data out there, but I am unable to find it right now. I’m debating using regular paraffin wax for training chains and using the bike-specific stuff for a race chain (if it’s warranted).

Probably not that much difference, but given that a pound of Molten Wax is something like $20 and will last 1 - 2 years, is it really that difficult a decision?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The diff. is <0.25W.

Page6: https://www.ceramicspeed.com/...e-tests-combined.pdf

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll find the answers you seek here:

Zero Friction Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Generic Paraffin Wax vs bike-specific Wax? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

Zero Friction Cycling
As thorough as Adam is, and he’s made some statements about using cheap wax or candles, I haven’t seen any actual test data from him on the topic to back up those claims.
Quote Reply
Re: Generic Paraffin Wax vs bike-specific Wax? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
logella wrote:

Zero Friction Cycling

As thorough as Adam is, and he’s made some statements about using cheap wax or candles, I haven’t seen any actual test data from him on the topic to back up those claims.

I came here to post that site just now. Been mowing through his writing on all things chains today. Amazing resource. Wish I'd stumbled into it earlier!

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Generic Paraffin Wax vs bike-specific Wax? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

Zero Friction Cycling

Amazing site and resource. I've at least become convinced that waxing might be a bit easier than I thought, if I can set it up systematically. Biggest concern is time-cost.

I currently do:
  1. Put new chain on.
  2. Ride 50-200mi, depending on conditions.
  3. Wipe down with microfiber rag.
  4. Apply NFS.
  5. Wipe thoroughly again.
  6. Repeat steps 2-6 for a few thousand km.
  7. Replace chain and repeat.

I've never dipped a chain in anything, used an ultrasonic cleaner, or wax such and such.

I have read this 7000 word monster of an article: https://cyclingtips.com/...hain-an-endless-faq/ and watched Josh @ Silca's video on ultasonic cleaner.
And now this article: https://cyclingtips.com/...-maintenance-how-to/

But what I would like is:
  1. A comprehensive exact list of things to buy. Preferably links to amazon!
  2. A dummy-proof step-by-step how-to guide on how to set it all up.
  3. A dummy-proof step-by-step on how to run the system once it's set up. (Something like: Take chain off bike, drop in A, set timer for 20min, timer goes off, move chain to B, set new timer, timer goes off, move chain to C, new timer, then let dry for 24hr, and reinstall on bike, etc. )

They always list things you'll need like: "a jar or similar, a strong degreaser"

Folks, I'm a PhD in human mechanics and physiology related to sport. I can talk synovial fluid, muscle mechanics at the micro and macro level, chemical concentrations of this and that in etc etc, but I just need to be told what the heck degreaser to buy (and all the other things).

Does this exist?

Goals for once it's up and running: Efficiency from a human time input perspective. I will use it to upkeep the chains on all 6 of our bikes. Probably a rotation of 12+ chains. I can manage systems! Just need some help to get the system in place.

Money isn't no object but it's less of a concern than user time input for sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Generic Paraffin Wax vs bike-specific Wax? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's basically got all of that short of the Amazon links under the Instructions tab.

You're a heck of a lot smarter than me and I was able to figure it out with 30mins to an hour of reading his website. Much faster once I found the waxing FAQ and zen master guide pdf's he has.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
logella wrote:

Zero Friction Cycling

Amazing site and resource. I've at least become convinced that waxing might be a bit easier than I thought, if I can set it up systematically. Biggest concern is time-cost.

I currently do:
  1. Put new chain on.
  2. Ride 50-200mi, depending on conditions.
  3. Wipe down with microfiber rag.
  4. Apply NFS.
  5. Wipe thoroughly again.
  6. Repeat steps 2-6 for a few thousand km.
  7. Replace chain and repeat.

I've never dipped a chain in anything, used an ultrasonic cleaner, or wax such and such.

I have read this 7000 word monster of an article: https://cyclingtips.com/...hain-an-endless-faq/ and watched Josh @ Silca's video on ultasonic cleaner.
And now this article: https://cyclingtips.com/...-maintenance-how-to/

But what I would like is:
  1. A comprehensive exact list of things to buy. Preferably links to amazon!
  2. A dummy-proof step-by-step how-to guide on how to set it all up.
  3. A dummy-proof step-by-step on how to run the system once it's set up. (Something like: Take chain off bike, drop in A, set timer for 20min, timer goes off, move chain to B, set new timer, timer goes off, move chain to C, new timer, then let dry for 24hr, and reinstall on bike, etc. )

They always list things you'll need like: "a jar or similar, a strong degreaser"

Folks, I'm a PhD in human mechanics and physiology related to sport. I can talk synovial fluid, muscle mechanics at the micro and macro level, chemical concentrations of this and that in etc etc, but I just need to be told what the heck degreaser to buy (and all the other things).

Does this exist?

Goals for once it's up and running: Efficiency from a human time input perspective. I will use it to upkeep the chains on all 6 of our bikes. Probably a rotation of 12+ chains. I can manage systems! Just need some help to get the system in place.

Molten Speed Wax has you covered, complete with videos!
• how to clean your chain
• how to wax your chain
They don't have links to amazon but do show you all of what you need. There's also an ultrasonic video if you want to go that route, but I've found that cleaning with mineral spirits and rubbing alcohol does just fine.

You can also pick up one of Dan Kennison's Ultra Optimized chains and it will already be cleaned, smoothed, waxed, and ready to go. I love the Wipperman chains and they're perfect for waxing since they're so easy to take on and off.
Quote Reply
Re: Generic Paraffin Wax vs bike-specific Wax? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northy for the win!

Thank you.

Quote Reply
Re: Generic Paraffin Wax vs bike-specific Wax? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
The diff. is <0.25W.

Page6: https://www.ceramicspeed.com/...e-tests-combined.pdf

Adam Kerin a ZeroFrictionCycling has claimed that in real-world riding conditions the paraffin needs to be food-grade or better. I may be misquoting, but if I remember right, according to his testing, non-food-grade has higher oil content which essentially negates the advantage of the wax by collecting grime internally, much like a wet lube and results in poorer results than something like NFS lube (the long-running best-performing drip-on non-wax lube. I just read it and can no longer find it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the article: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/...Cycle-Video-v1.2.pdf

Food grade paraffin is readily available and quite common (ex. Gulf Wax is food grade, and FDA approved), so his assumption that folks are generally using less refined waxes with high mineral oil content is a bit of a strawman.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use mineral spirits and then acetone to initially clean the chains.

Gulf wax melted in a mini crockpot works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
logella wrote:

Zero Friction Cycling

Waxing is easy. Completely stripping the current/factory lube off your chain isn't - in fact it's a major hassle, but at least it's a one-off hassle. I agree with the suggestion of buying a pre-stripped/optimized chain, and just avoiding this hassle. I got mine from Adam at ZFC, but others have provided alternative links.

The most time consuming thing about waxing it the time it takes for the slow cooker to heat up (mine takes about an hour). But that isn't MY time - I'll turn it on, then go do other things for that hour. Given this heat-up time, it makes sense to run 2-3 chains in rotation, then wax them all at once. With multiple bikes, you will probably want to label them clearly as to which chain goes with which bike. But as a systems guy, it sounds like you have this covered. Personally, I hang my chains for the wax to cool down/harden. One goes back on the bike, the other hangs there until rotated onto the bike. I am seeing a long rack with carefully labelled hooks in your future.

In terms of cost, the lower wear rates on not just chains, but cassettes, and chainrings as well, make waxing a financial no-brainer. I mean, have you seen the price of Campy or SRAM AXS cassettes recently?
Quote Reply
Re: Generic Paraffin Wax vs bike-specific Wax? [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcalista wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
logella wrote:

Zero Friction Cycling

Waxing is easy. Completely stripping the current/factory lube off your chain isn't - in fact it's a major hassle, but at least it's a one-off hassle. I agree with the suggestion of buying a pre-stripped/optimized chain, and just avoiding this hassle. I got mine from Adam at ZFC, but others have provided alternative links.

The most time consuming thing about waxing it the time it takes for the slow cooker to heat up (mine takes about an hour). But that isn't MY time - I'll turn it on, then go do other things for that hour. Given this heat-up time, it makes sense to run 2-3 chains in rotation, then wax them all at once. With multiple bikes, you will probably want to label them clearly as to which chain goes with which bike. But as a systems guy, it sounds like you have this covered. Personally, I hang my chains for the wax to cool down/harden. One goes back on the bike, the other hangs there until rotated onto the bike. I am seeing a long rack with carefully labelled hooks in your future.

In terms of cost, the lower wear rates on not just chains, but cassettes, and chainrings as well, make waxing a financial no-brainer. I mean, have you seen the price of Campy or SRAM AXS cassettes recently?

I actually don’t find it to be that much of a hassle to clean new chains, now that I have a system set up. I have 3 coffee cans (technically one of those is a peanut butter jar) one with mineral spirits, one acetone, one alcohol, and I store those in an old kitty litter bucket. The biggest “hassle” is remembering to put on gloves, the chemicals wreak havoc on my skin.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Generic Paraffin Wax vs bike-specific Wax? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
cloy wrote:

Probably not that much difference, but given that a pound of Molten Wax is something like $20 and will last 1 - 2 years, is it really that difficult a decision?

You really underestimate how cheap, I mean frugal, I am ;-)

I use whatever Canadian Tire has in the canning section. Right now I’m using Parowax, I need about 1/4 of a block to have enough in the mini crock pot to wax a chain.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Generic Paraffin Wax vs bike-specific Wax? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
cloy wrote:

I use whatever Canadian Tire has in the canning section. Right now I’m using Parowax, I need about 1/4 of a block to have enough in the mini crock pot to wax a chain.

I have some MSW here if you ever want to stop by and grab a cup full to try. I doubt it is much different than what you use, but you are welcome to try it.

Dr. Alex - I've used NFS and Rock n Roll Gold in the past. As far as lubes, they work great and I don't really care about the extra watt I might save with wax. What I care about is how freaking clean the chain and parts are when using wax, the fact that I can grab the chain during a wheel change and get nothing on my hand, and throw my bike in the car and not get black oil/grease on everything.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Mar 20, 21 5:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Dr. Alex - I've used NFS and Rock n Roll Gold in the past. As far as lubes, they work great and I don't really care about the extra watt I might save with wax. What I care about is how freaking clean the chain and parts are when using wax, the fact that I can grab the chain during a wheel change and get nothing on my hand, and throw my bike in the car and not get black oil/grease on everything.
I would be the same. I might care about the 1 watt for my wife's A races. But the perk of clean chains, and the potential for longer chain and drivetrain component lives is what most allures me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a mostly complete guide

https://www.trainerroad.com/...waxing-tutorial/2633
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I joined the waxing craze. First and foremost... awesome decision. Took a couple weeks to get my routine down but once I did bike maintenance was never easier.

Second, quite by accident... I’m a cheap candle guy. I wanted gulf wax but for some unknown reason my local Walmart didn’t carry any. So out of f’it desperation I bought some cheap 1$ packs of candles and used a mini crockpot. Had a well running and clean chain ever since.

Now I have no way of knowing of its still the watt saver that the pure blocks are but hey, it’s working so far.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Generic Paraffin Wax vs bike-specific Wax? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Last year I joined the waxing craze. First and foremost... awesome decision. Took a couple weeks to get my routine down but once I did bike maintenance was never easier.

Second, quite by accident... I’m a cheap candle guy. I wanted gulf wax but for some unknown reason my local Walmart didn’t carry any. So out of f’it desperation I bought some cheap 1$ packs of candles and used a mini crockpot. Had a well running and clean chain ever since.

Now I have no way of knowing of its still the watt saver that the pure blocks are but hey, it’s working so far.

I did the cheap candles first, but I find that pure paraffin lasts a lot longer. I typically go 2-3 weeks between waxing (indoor riding, which is 12-20 hours at current volumes, and a bit less than that if I’m riding outdoors a lot. I used to get a squeaky drivetrain with the candle wax if I left it too long, but the Parowax never gets squeaky. Seems to flake less too.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:
cloy wrote:

I have some MSW here if you ever want to stop by and grab a cup full to try. I doubt it is much different than what you use, but you are welcome to try it.

Maybe. I’ve been meaning to pick up some of the Silca wax to use as a race-day chain wax, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next