Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
General consensus on PRs
Quote | Reply
With all the talk of IM records/marathon records etc. it made me wonder what qualifies as a PR (in people own opinion)?
Do you have to set your PR in a race setting or is it ok to do alone/outside of races?

Lets take 10km PRs, would you count it as your PR if:
1) You set it during a training run?
2) You ran it around the track?
3) You did it on the treadmill?
Quote Reply
Re: General consensus on PRs [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should move to similar what many do in weightlifting.

Training PR
Competition (Event) PR

Both broken down by Clean and Jerk, and Snatch for weightlifting.

While weightlifting has far less variables then endurance sports do. It provides simplicity to PR's, what you do in competition and out.

Of course with weightlifting the variables are minimal as its really just the weight on the bar. In endurance sports you get a lot more variability; weather, course, accurate distance, etc.

On a completely different note I was just as a USAW meet a few weeks ago. I was surprised by how profession it was. They literally weighed the weights to measure accuracy, kind of like course measurements. They also did drug testing for what looked like a handful of athletes on the spot. USAT should take notes, but again, costs, time, and labor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
With all the talk of IM records/marathon records etc. it made me wonder what qualifies as a PR (in people own opinion)?
Do you have to set your PR in a race setting or is it ok to do alone/outside of races?

Definitely not the treadmill. Got some retard mates posting stupid 5 and 10km times from the treadmill. Like way quicker than they'd run outside.

I'd take a PR from a training run. The first 4 times I raced 5km and broke 20mins (the goal for the season) they were all measured under 5km. So I just did it in a training run to make it official.
Quote Reply
Re: General consensus on PRs [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were the treadmills calibrated?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

Personally, races only count - on measured courses that have been approved.

It could be argued that that is easier than PR in training, as one often tried that little bit harder in a race.
Quote Reply
Re: General consensus on PRs [Nonojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nonojohn wrote:
Were the treadmills calibrated?

Not sure.

Probably not.

Even if they were, I'm not sure you can do a like for like can you treadmill vs outdoors even with 1 degree incline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PRs only count in comptetition. When I was coaching high school track and field, I had a thrower who consistently set "PRs" at practices and on his own during the off weekends. But, never at a meet, especially when he needed to do so to score points or qualify for states.

PRs should never count on a treadmil, unless properly and professionally calibrated and monitored.

For track times, a lot of athletes will differentiate between road and track PRS, as they are different animals. Naturally, a track PR should be faster than a road PR (I'm about 30s/faster on the track), but both are completely legit to claim as a PR
Quote Reply
Re: General consensus on PRs [jjstains] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjstains wrote:
PRs only count in comptetition. When I was coaching high school track and field, I had a thrower who consistently set "PRs" at practices and on his own during the off weekends. But, never at a meet, especially when he needed to do so to score points or qualify for states.

PRs should never count on a treadmil, unless properly and professionally calibrated and monitored.

For track times, a lot of athletes will differentiate between road and track PRS, as they are different animals. Naturally, a track PR should be faster than a road PR (I'm about 30s/faster on the track), but both are completely legit to claim as a PR
Why would track be so much faster? Just easier to pace or the surface?
The reason why I included track is that if i went on a training run there is some uncertainty to the GPS of my watch, but doing a track 10k or 5k would be dead on. But i would have having given everything set a PR to then be told to either do it on the roads or in an event.

I can as others mention see the benefit of pushing yourself in a 10k race, but the many people might also slow one down a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training or race. Track or road. Better run the allotted distance on the track. For example, someone I know claimed he ran well over a minute faster than his current PR when running a 5k TT on the track. He then proceeded to say the gps reached 5k well before he ran 12.5 laps.

Ditch the gps watch on the track.

And to answer your question-
Tracks are faster because of the surface and spikes are much lighter. Every world record from the 60m- the 10k is on a track

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: General consensus on PRs [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t ditch the gps watch on the track. I just don’t use it to track distance. I use it to track laps and lap times
Quote Reply
Re: General consensus on PRs [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
Should move to similar what many do in weightlifting.

:-) As a former competitive lifter you are correct that I personally counted not competitive PR lifts from the gym. What was cool back in the day was lifting in a gym with world class lifters and when someone attempted a heavy lift just about everyone stopped to watch. It was like being at competition right there because you had guys and girls equally as good stop training out of respect that what you were about to attempt was just crazy. No matter how experienced you are there is part of you kind of shuttering at the fact that something could go horribly wrong. Those counted as far as I am concerned. My heaviest lifts were actually in the off season because I lost a touch of strength trying to make my weight class.

Since picking up and combining endurance training I do not compete in either so what I do training solo on the bike is only important to me. My hope was to do a sub 5 hour solo on an open traffic 100 mile course. I've come close a few times and now I doubtful I will ever make it. If I had accomplished that goal I would have been extremely excited as a PR on that course. I know it means nothing in the world of competition and among the talented endurance athletes but for a heavy lifter that really sucks at endurance it would have meant a lot to me. I am going to try again in 2019 if I can get back to a normal work schedule, but I have a long way to go just to get back to my previous FTP. At 55 it is just getting all that much harder.
Quote Reply
Re: General consensus on PRs [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I don’t ditch the gps watch on the track. I just don’t use it to track distance. I use it to track laps and lap times

Yeah that’s what I meant. I should have clarified.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will keep note of my PRs I set in training and qualify that if my friends and I are discussing times. I keep my training PRs in my head as reference or a benchmark for a race with the hopes that I should be able to run faster in the race than by myself.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racing only.

However as I look beyond the next age group I am about to enter, I now keep a second set of "PRs" which is % age group placement. Sure I can never control who shows up to a race but I tend to do bigger races where I hope the law of "large" numbers helps to even things out. I don't think I'll ever touch my sub-18 5k again, and I'm fine with that but my goals now are to climb the placement i.e. deteriorate less so than my peers. fwiw I use 1-(placement/participants) which degrades races where I 'win' my age group but there are like 10 guys there, that result would be 90% (only chance i'd have at winning my AG!) compared to say 5th in a group of 100 (95%).

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In swimming, PRs only count if they are done in competition. I've had kids I coach go best times in practice. However, they don't count as an official PR. Has to be a sanctioned meet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training runs and tracks do count in a sense that you know you can go a certain speed.

My fastest ever 5k was on a treadmill at 19 minutes...I've never done that outside so I'd throw that out. But maybe I'll get 19 minutes outside this year!

In competition PRs, one reason why wearing GPS is awesome is you find all of these local races are short, did a 5k this weekend and it was 2.95 miles...it's not hard to move the start line back a few meters (based on where it was.) I paid for a 5k Damnnit.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PR is the fastest time you cover a certain distance. Only PR you can set on a treadmill is most amount of time spent running to go nowhere. If you set one in training, chapeau, but you might be something wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is simple really, you PR in each category. If you run 18 for a 5k on a treadmill it is your treadmill PR. If you run it on a track in training, it is a training track PR. If you do it in a race, it is a race PR. Easy really, just be honest..

But I know for most out your out there it is really hard to be honest, (well not your guys, but everyone else) people claim swim times in wetsuits on short courses without saying so, they do any short course and dont say so, they do the ride in IMTX and claim that as a PR, without saying so. I use to get people call me up for free entries telling me that got 3 is so and so race, neglecting to say it was in the AG, or the 200lb+ division..

Just be honest people and say what it is, your ego can handle it, really....
Quote Reply
Re: General consensus on PRs [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
It is simple really, you PR in each category. If you run 18 for a 5k on a treadmill it is your treadmill PR. If you run it on a track in training, it is a training track PR. If you do it in a race, it is a race PR. Easy really, just be honest..

But I know for most out your out there it is really hard to be honest, (well not your guys, but everyone else) people claim swim times in wetsuits on short courses without saying so, they do any short course and dont say so, they do the ride in IMTX and claim that as a PR, without saying so. I use to get people call me up for free entries telling me that got 3 is so and so race, neglecting to say it was in the AG, or the 200lb+ division..

Just be honest people and say what it is, your ego can handle it, really....

steady now, monty - i seem to remember you dropping more than a few big fish stories here about all the great times you guys used to do 'back in the old days. . .'

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

1) No ... it may be my best time around a certain 10K route, but it's not a PR
2) I don't run on a track, but it kinda falls in the "best time on a training run" category, as well
3) Set it & forget it? Nah ... like someone said, the TM probably isn't calibrated correctly, so it's got no credibility

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: General consensus on PRs [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Training runs and tracks do count in a sense that you know you can go a certain speed.

My fastest ever 5k was on a treadmill at 19 minutes...I've never done that outside so I'd throw that out. But maybe I'll get 19 minutes outside this year!

In competition PRs, one reason why wearing GPS is awesome is you find all of these local races are short, did a 5k this weekend and it was 2.95 miles...it's not hard to move the start line back a few meters (based on where it was.) I paid for a 5k Damnnit.

That is what im getting at! Many of the race courses unless it the bigger international ones are very often not measured correct so if it is short have i then set a 10k pr?
Then a training run would have been better
Quote Reply
Re: General consensus on PRs [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We used to keep a list for best practice times, not many of us would go under a PB in practice unless it was in an off event, but it didn't count for anything. I hit a lifetime best time at a recent masters meet, albeit in the 200 Breaststroke (which I have swam maybe 5 or 6 times ever in a sanctioned meet)... 2:37.74 (SCM), pretty solid for my weak stroke.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PRs are by definition personal and so I track lots of them, but I don't weight them all the same. Strava tells me I just set my PR for one of the local hills? Thats a PR! I like repeating events and comparing my times from year to year on the same course. That gives me an opportunity to set PR's there. Halfway through my 50's I don't have much likelihood of beating my lifetime PR's, so I keep track of my decade PR's - my fastest in my 40's or 50's...

That is my MOP perspective, and no one is likely to get exercised over if my 10k PR was wind-aided or not. If you are talking about Pro's and world class racers, I think it is really a discussion about real races. Alister Brownlee may be whispered to have broken a 10K record in training, but his PR is his fastest race result in my mind.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: General consensus on PRs [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steady now, monty - i seem to remember you dropping more than a few big fish stories here about all the great times you guys used to do 'back in the old days. . .' //

Well since we did not have Garmins, GPS, Strava, Zwift, Trainerroad, etc., I think most of my stories were about actual races, and you can look up those times. The only other times I liked to mention, were of the birthday set type, and of course pool lengths(or laps!!)and pace clocks, have not changed since then, at least I dont think so!!

Most of our epic runs were on trails and not even the same courses week to week, and the riding was done in groups with pro level bike racers, like the Wednesday ride. SO times were really not a thing, or PR's, unless you count making the breakaway a PR! I do remember on the Tuesday run that they had a mile measured out on rolling roads at about mile 9 or so, but for the life of me I cannot remember what anybodies times were. My memories are of occasionally getting there with the lead guys(because often there was a very short regroup at low 6 minute pace) and then just watching them run away from me, while I was pegged at 5;15 or thereabouts pace...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The issue with some PR's is that even on a course like Kona, though measured/certified whatever you want to call it these days, has changed many, many times. The swim used to be "long" by about 200 meters, then one year they fixed it. The bike used to head down Ali'i Drive near the end with a big hill at the end, now it heads up a long hill with barely a foot between wheels all the way up & down--it's a crit. The run used to have the old T2 hill & the Pit, now it has changed again with another dog leg on the Queen K.

A place like Boulder has pretty much changed the course every single year. It's hard to PR something when the courses, despite the same locale, are not the same courses.
Quote Reply

Prev Next