Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

General Build Plan for a HIM/IM ON TR?
Quote | Reply
I posted this on the TR forum as well but thought i might cast a wider net here.

For the past 3-4 years I’ve done the full IM plans and along the road I’ve done HIM’s using the fitness build up for an IM.
2019 has me doing 70.3TX in April and IMAZ in November so I can actually target both with good buildups and treat both as A races.
I’m 2 weeks away from finishing SSB2 followed by ski trip. Then I’m planning 8 wk build. So the HIM builds I don’t like. Mid volume is too easy for me and high volume has the 4-5 hr long rides that I don’t want to do. I usually do my own swim and BarryP run workouts. The mid volume general build looks very intriguing and I’ve never done that plan.
Has anyone done that plan in route to a HIM or IM? Would love to hear your opinion. I understand sustained build plan and tri specific plans are more targeted to triathletes, but I feel like trying something new. Most likely I’ll go this route but wanted to see if anyone has tried it?
Quote Reply
Re: General Build Plan for a HIM/IM ON TR? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven’t done the general build, so can’t help you there.

But I did do HIM plan (high volume build, mid volume specialty) with amazing success a couple years ago. I didn’t do the super long weekend rides on the high volume plan, usually substituted those for a 60 mile group ride with my cycling club. I think I only did one TT ride longer than 2hr, and it was only 3hrs easy iirc. The only reason I didn’t do the high volume specialty plan was because of the numerous 2hr mid week rides, I can’t pull those off.

Like you I did my own thing for the swim and did BarryP for the run. I did do the brick session when TR suggested though, but usually ran faster and shorter than they recommended.

You can read about how the build and race went here if you’re interested. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6284894#p6284894
Quote Reply
Re: General Build Plan for a HIM/IM ON TR? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I’ll read your blog tonight.
IIRC, you’re also doing Tower 26 for swim?
I’m prob signing up for that as soon as I come back from ski trip
Quote Reply
Re: General Build Plan for a HIM/IM ON TR? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes Tower 26 is the best money I have spent on triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: General Build Plan for a HIM/IM ON TR? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember reading that a long time ago but it was good to read it again. Your race, as I was reading it, reminded me of some of my own races. Except I am 10-15 min slower in each discipline.

Thanks for your input
Quote Reply