Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-74 Marathon counted as invalid
Quote | Reply
Full Disclosure...I don't have access to Gene's FB page..I pulled this off of Lets Run

He writes this on Facebook:

"Never ASSUME, because when you ASSUME, you make an ASS of U and ME."
--- Jerry Belson, script writer for the Odd Couple

Before running the Jacksonville Marathon, I reached out to the race director for assurance that it was a suitable venue for setting a world record, and I received the response that "you should have a good shot at the record". I assumed that he was correct, but I was remiss in not doing my own homework. It appears that, although the Jacksonville Marathon is certified by the USATF, the race was not sanctioned by the USATF, and both must be valid for recognition of records by USATF/IAAF.

Thank you all so much for the nice things posted about my race. I am still proud of what I've accomplished - it just looks like it's not going to be "official". That said, I still have four more years to do it right, and, who knows, that might happen sooner than you think!

Go Get'm Gene!!

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Last edited by: stringcheese: Dec 25, 18 17:59
Quote Reply
Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they test him?
Quote Reply
Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brutal. I hope he can regroup and go hard at it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats lame. Sanctioning is nothing but race insurance with usatf. Maybe he can plead his case to IAAF
Quote Reply
Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did they test him? //

Gene has come on here and talked about him being tested several times a year, even out of competition tests. So as much as one could ask for in the older AG's as far as that is concerned...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran that marathon. They told us in the beginning that there was a world record attempt and to stay out of his way.

Honestly, that was the worst marathon ever. The post race food was soup, banana or bagel. There was no real party, no real festival... Nothing. There was also no one race expo. And the marathon jackets say "half marathon" on them. I threw mine away.

I guess like my wife (her 1st marathon) people do it cause it's flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the USATF document:

"For any road-running performance to be accepted as a record, or be nationally ranked, it must be run
on a USATF-certified course."

The USATF document does not say it must be run on a USATF Sanctioned
Quote Reply
Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Did they test him? //

Gene has come on here and talked about him being tested several times a year, even out of competition tests. So as much as one could ask for in the older AG's as far as that is concerned...

So it is normal for a 73 year old to run a sud 3 marathon. Ok!
LA has got tested and passed!
Quote Reply
Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it is normal for a 73 year old to run a sud 3 marathon. Ok! //

No it is not normal, that is why only 2 guys in history have done it. I just told you he is being tested, quite a bit. What would you have him do?? This might go under the heading, if you don't have something nice to say, well you know the rest....

Guys like Gene are the farthest out on the curve of outliers. For me at least, I love to see what is possible for the old human body, non assisted of course...It is the benchmark that we get to measure ourselves by, and quite a motivation when things get tough in old age...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
monty wrote:
Did they test him? //

No it's not normal; that's why it was a record attempt. If testing isn't good enough for you to not assume he's doping, why did you even ask if he was tested? Let's just assume anyone more than one standard deviation off of their AG average is a doping jackass.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
monty wrote:
Did they test him? //

Kind of like a guy in his 40s doing low 8 IMs must be doping right??

Quote | Reply
Genetic Outlier...kind of like Kipchoge or Todd Gurley...but different.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
danstu4 wrote:
monty wrote:
Did they test him? //

Yep!! I do nothing special. I just do an Ironman every weekend. I just recover really well!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
IKnowEverything wrote:
danstu4 wrote:
monty wrote:
Did they test him? //

Yep!! I do nothing special. I just do an Ironman every weekend. I just recover really well!!

Dan I think anyone who is super super fast will always be suspected, be it Gene or guys like you. It is not your fault or his fault that you are both genetic outliers. Everyone is jealous of guys like you and the first thing out of their mouth is " must be doping", which is totally unfair to genetic outliers who are not juiced.
Quote Reply
Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I ran that marathon. They told us in the beginning that there was a world record attempt and to stay out of his way.

Honestly, that was the worst marathon ever. The post race food was soup, banana or bagel. There was no real party, no real festival... Nothing. There was also no one race expo. And the marathon jackets say "half marathon" on them. I threw mine away.

I guess like my wife (her 1st marathon) people do it cause it's flat.

In defense of the marathon, the entry was dirt cheap. 1stplacesports is capable of putting on big races (Gate River run for example), this one had everything that was advertised (there wasn't an expo advertised). The jacket says Ameris Bank marathon in the main logo, and half marathon just under the logo. I personally appreciated the light jacket over another tech tee.

To the point of the tread, it's pretty stupid that a USATF certified course wouldn't count for a world record. It's also odd that every running media outlet wrote the story, USATF named them their "athlete of the week", and the stipulation is just now being brought up that it doesn't count. Wondering if there isn't more to the story as well
Last edited by: rjrankin: Dec 24, 18 16:00
Quote Reply
Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello rjrar and All,

Wishing Gene good fortune in getting his record recognized .... and if not ..... doing even better in following attempts.

His comments indicate he is taking the situation in stride (pun) and is ready to do it again.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope Gene nails it next time around.

Performances such his should be celebrated and widely acknowledged.

Has he given any indication as to where and when his next attempt will be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's refreshing to me that Gene blames no one but himself. Kudos to people who take responsibility for themselves. Dude seems like a stand up guy. Furthermore, I'm 53 and he can totally kick my ass when it comes to running. I'm rooting for him to find an official marathon and break the record.

Quote | Reply
Does anyone actually care about weather or not it’s an ‘official’ record? My guess would be that the only people that actually care about this would be gene, his family, and the guy who’s record he broke. Does anyone know the 60+ record for a marathon?
Quote Reply
Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
danstu4 wrote:
IKnowEverything wrote:
danstu4 wrote:
monty wrote:
Did they test him? //

Dan I think anyone who is super super fast will always be suspected, be it Gene or guys like you. It is not your fault or his fault that you are both genetic outliers. Everyone is jealous of guys like you and the first thing out of their mouth is " must be doping", which is totally unfair to genetic outliers who are not juiced.

Which is what makes it so funny that Dan was insinuating that Gene was doping.

Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People dont read. The course is certified. This is the world record for 70-74 AG. Since it is not sanctioned, he probably cannot get prize money from USATF, or points towards some USATF standing.
Quote Reply
Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
Does anyone actually care about weather or not it’s an ‘official’ record? My guess would be that the only people that actually care about this would be gene, his family, and the guy who’s record he broke. Does anyone know the 60+ record for a marathon?

my guess is that you're not yet 60.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
People dont read. The course is certified. This is the world record for 70-74 AG. Since it is not sanctioned, he probably cannot get prize money from USATF, or points towards some USATF standing.

“Section 262 3(a): ...... In Masters Track and Field, no record shall be acceptable unless it was made in an event that had been sanctioned by USATF, a member organization of USATF or another member Federation of IAAF by competitors eligible to compete under IAAF Rules.“

I just find it funny that this race was an Olympic trials qualifier a couple years ago but there’s this much grey area about an AG record. I don’t blame the RD though, seems like USATF doesn’t know their rules either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gene will be considered the new record holder by those (like me) who care.
Official or otherwise.

However as a quick plug for Toronto.

Come back and run the record here.
For several reasons not the least of which, this is where the record was set and every marathon is different.
Quote Reply
Re: Gene Dykes has his World Record for the 70-75 Marathon counted as invalid [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Did they test him? //

Who else, other than, USADA would be testing him? I only see him being tested once by USADA, which was in 2017, and they apparently update their testing regularly. What governing body is testing him so regularly, and where can we see these results? Is he doing a lot of non U.S. based racing? It appears USA Track and Field uses USADA for their testing.

http://www.usatf.org/...i-Doping-Agency.aspx

As a random comparison, cyclist Kristin Armstrong has been tested 92 times by USADA, and I imagine she’s been tested internationally by other drug agencies, which would not be in her USADA count. danstu4, has been tested 3 times, by USADA, as another example, and he replied earlier to this post.

I’m curious why they would test an old AG athlete so many times, versus focus on professionals making a living at sport. I’m also curious why he’s tested so frequently, but not by USADA.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Dec 25, 18 11:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next