Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gears
Quote | Reply
After taking 30 years off of road biking/triathalons, I decided to get back into it. I bought a Felt DA4 and love it. I'm 63 now and can't climb like I used to. I have 52/38 for front chain rings and 25/11 on the rear cluster. I'm sad to say it's just not enough gear to get me up some of the hills in my area. Maybe when I get in better shape it will be fine, but right now I'm struggling. Has anyone else had this problem? Would the easiest remedy be to change out the small chain ring? Thank you for any suggestions,
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Gears [MarkH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would buy an 11-32 or 11-34 cassette and a new rear derailleur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can probably go up to a 30T cassette in the back with your existing system (might need a longer chain). It's the cheapest option, so try that first.

In the front, you can get a compact crankset (110mm bolt circle vs. the existing 130mm...or if it's already a compact, just get new rings). Then you can put on a 50/34 or 52/36. Personally I go for the 50/34 on my road bike (where I do most of my climbing) and 52/36 on my tri bike.

I did the conversions when I moved to NorCal from the Midwest and suddenly had to contend with "real" climbs on a regular basis (42/25 wan't going to cut it).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a 50/34 front 11-34 rear would be perfect for you

never skimp on gears, always have low enough gears to keep turning so you can be comfortable. Id never sell a 60 year old a 52/38, thats insane

Strava
Last edited by: rsjrv99: Jun 5, 20 21:52
Quote Reply
Re: Gears [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending how far off you are. I would try a 34 inner ring first which is what normally goes with an outer 52. Then an 11-28 or 11-30 cassette. Both changes should be compatible with your da4 without changing derailleur or crankset. Although in some instances the 11-30 might be troublesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Gears [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 52 tooth large chainring would normally have a 36 tooth inner chainring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is that your cranks are 130bcd so if you want a smaller front ring you'll need to change cranks.
A wider cassette would be your start point 12-30.
Its not a matter of fitness it's a matter of terrain. I can manage with a 39-25 small gear on my tt bike but I don't have big hills in my area. Even the top pros use smaller gears than you for hilly events. It's faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
52/38 is an odd combination. 52/36 is more common. Replacing an inner ring to get 36t is relatively cheap, but replacing the outer ring as well to get to 50/34 might be more expensive. 36t would 5.5% easier gearing, 34t would be 11.7%.

Most derailleurs from the last 5-6 years will handle a 30t cassette no problems, which would offer 20% easier gearing. 34t cassette would require a medium cage derailleur for a 36% benefit.

Running 34f, 34r would offer 52% easier gearing than your current setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your DA4 is 10 speed?

If it is I'd be looking for an 11-32 and a long cage derailleur.

Next I'd identify the crank to see what it is. You may be able to go smaller. A picture would help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all! I will read every suggestion and make changes accordingly. I’m impressed how knowledgeable everyone is on this forum. You guys are always so helpful.
Thanks again,
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Gears [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stand corrected. I meant 36 not 34 which would normally go with a 50. Da4 shipped with an FSA 52 36 crankset, at least mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Gears [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second this suggestion.50/34 really helps getting up almost anything. When I first switched over I thought I would loose speed, but not so.

I just learned to spin more.

If you go this option make sure your rear cassette has an 11 cog. That will keep you pretty speedy.

See you on a climb some day....hopefully not passing me😉
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing to do with age... all about watts an cadence you want to hold for a given condition (slope, wind, weight, etc)...

Currently, your smallest ratio right not is 1.52 (38 / 25) - Fairly aggressive for most people

If you go to a 34 / 27 your ratio become 1.26. (change the rings and the cassette)

What does that mean to you... in your smallest ratio, at a given cadence, your watts (and speed) will be ~20% lower (1- 1.26/1.52)

Is that enough for you: i don't really know, without knowing how much of a break you want to get...
Last edited by: benleg: Jun 6, 20 11:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano now makes a gravel crank It has a 30 small ring. Sram may make something similar otherwise you would have to purchase a bottom bracket to go along with the crank set.

Problem with the Shimano is they are on backorder presently.
Quote Reply