Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gear ratio from FIT file?
Quote | Reply
Is there a way for me to get my gear ratio info from a FIT file? I see it while riding and have general sense under certain conditions but want to go back and analyze some things. Is there a specific garmin app I need to install in order to have it write to the FIT file? Or is it already in the FIT file and I’m just missing it?

Really what I want to do is look at some gravel sections and see what my speed and gear ratio and cadence were (all self selected). The sections I want to look at span different types like hard packed fast, freshly harvest tree farm with lots of bigger sticks/lots, pavement to soft sand slog.

Again, I think I know but would like to validate which gear I’m using the most in those situations.
Quote Reply
Re: Gear ratio from FIT file? [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
Is there a way for me to get my gear ratio info from a FIT file? I see it while riding and have general sense under certain conditions but want to go back and analyze some things. Is there a specific garmin app I need to install in order to have it write to the FIT file? Or is it already in the FIT file and I’m just missing it?

Really what I want to do is look at some gravel sections and see what my speed and gear ratio and cadence were (all self selected). The sections I want to look at span different types like hard packed fast, freshly harvest tree farm with lots of bigger sticks/lots, pavement to soft sand slog.

Again, I think I know but would like to validate which gear I’m using the most in those situations.

Golden Cheetah will report gear ratio. (as a ratio like 3.3:1 , not as a 53/16 or whatever) by calculating it from the speed/cadence data. Obviously coasting will throw off the calc, not sure if GC accounts for that.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Gear ratio from FIT file? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on your Excel foo you can dump the FIT file into a spreadsheet and do the calcs.

You can also eliminate the coasting distortions by removing the data points that are at low power (I use P<50W)....assuming you have a power meter.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Gear ratio from FIT file? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My garmin is reading me gear ratio as I’m using it via SRAM paired and having correct gears inputs in settings. This doesn’t change on coasting. Basically SRAM is reporting front and rear gear position and I get the ratio displayed.

But what I want is to go back and look at certain sections, not just in real time while on the bike.

I remember this with Garmin’s running pod and recording power. It was displaying NP and lap but then when I’d go to TrainingPeaks there was no power. ONLY the regular power field would write to fit file - so while a useless field while actually running I need to display it for it to save to fit.

I’m hoping there’s another gear ratio field that will write to the FIT file.

I didn’t know about GC but sounds backwards when I’m displaying real data to go back and estimate it for analysis. At least there is an option.
Quote Reply
Re: Gear ratio from FIT file? [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out this app from the Garmin Connect IQ Store : eGear+ seem to be something to try and specifically states it writes to FIT file.
Quote Reply