Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gear West bike fitting?
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a new ride and wondered if anyone has any experience with the bike fit expertise at this shop? Are here there are two "fitters", Mr. O'Connor & another. Thoughts on which is best, etc.?

Any other shops in the Twin Cities that provide competent bike fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Gear West bike fitting? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2 people who I think do all the bike fitting there are Kevin (who now owns the store) and Jono. Although I haven't ever been fit there personally, from what I've heard I would say that they are both very experienced with bike fitting, with Kevin having the most experience by far. They are both ver nice guys and would probably be easy to work with for a bike fitting.

They are also both triathletes, and excellent ones at that, so I would definitely think they would provide a much better fit in that regard than any of the other bike shops around town. If you look at the top triathletes in MN, almost all of them are part of the Gear West race team, and so I would assume get all their bike stuff done at Gear West. These athletes are also very successful on the national and world level, so they must be doing something right at GW!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have mixed feelings about Gear West. I can't offer much meaningful feedback about their bike fitting because I've never experienced it for myself. But, the shop looks to be equipped to do it properly, and they seem to recognize and understand the importance of a proper fit. This, of course, does not guarantee that they produce a quality result, but it does suggest that they try.

My problem isn't with the store's bike fitting, but with many of the people who work there. The elitest attitude that most employees seem to have and the rude behavior that many customers have experienced has soiled the store's reputation in this community. I freely admit that I haven't dealt with every employee, and I understand that everyone has a bad day from time to time. My experience has not been unique, however, and many people I know refuse to shop there anymore.

Gear West is a big fish in a very small pond, and as the only tri-specific shop in town they've been able to get away with this behavior for longer than they otherwise could. Some good competition from another triathlon store would solve this problem and would encourage Gear West to become a better shop. Until one opens, I'll plan to buy my next bike from Tom Demerly at Bikesport Michigan.

Just my $0.02.
Quote Reply
Re: Gear West bike fitting? [Dominic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to have Tom D. set me up. But, as he points out, if you can't get back to the shop he has only one chance to get it right. I live 3.5 hrs from the Twin Cities, 9+ hr drive from Dearborn, MI. I feel I have almost no choice and this frustrates me to no end. I want the best, but live to far from 'em all. Chicago is an option, but still a 6 hr drive for me.

I can deal with attitude as long as I get what I need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mac,

I lived in Minneapolis, MN from 1997 to 2001. Kevin O'Connor took care of all my cycling needs the entire time that I lived there. He provided bike boxes for IM races, always made sure my ride was in tip top shape, and made sure that I had a good, efficient, comfortable, speedy fit along the way. Kevin is a very accomplished triathlete and is very approachable. He never came across as elitist, unlike some shops in the Detroit area. I would trust Gear West with my business...If I was buying a new bike, I would have no problem going to Kevin again. That being said, my next ride will likely be an Elite Razor (see previous posts about Elite Bicycles) and I will have David Greenfield fit me and have Ken O' Day at Two Wheel Tango in Ann Arbor finalize my position using a computrainer, etc.

My .02

"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying"
Quote Reply
Re: Gear West bike fitting? [jjtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Cobb will be opening a tri-specific Bicycle Sports store in Minneapolis in the next month or two.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Gear West bike fitting? [mts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a current resident of the greater Minneapolis area, I'll give my two cents. First, the store that John Cobb is opening has been on the calender to open since last fall. Currently dates for the opening are anywhere from next week to August. If you can wait, go for it. If you need a bike tomorrow, make other plans.

Second, I have not been fitted for a bike at Gear West but have been there shopping for tri gear to get ready for my rookie season. My couple of experiences have been good, first in talking with Jono to get an understanding of the sport as a whole and possible items to look into for racing, and second with another employee who helped me out with a wetsuit.

Wetsuit story - I went in to "look" at wetsuits and hoped to try a couple on to see about sizing and fit. Turns out QR Large-short fits me like a glove. Since all my races are short and during summer in MN, it was suggested that I go with a sleeveless suit - which sounded fine to my wallet considering the price difference. I figure I'll get a fullsuit when I start doing longer races in colder (ocean) waters. After talking for a bit to determine race goals and price, the guys at Gear West then came back with a wetsuit that was last years model in the right size, for $65 cheaper than new. Even though I hadn't planned on buying a wetsuit, I couldn't pass up the deal and took it home. Bottom line - they didn't have to look for the older (cheaper) model, but they did - so they got rid of some inventory and I got a deal on a wetsuit.

If you want more opinions of Gear West, you can post on www.triathlete.com, the message board is followed by a lot of MN triathletes that will have input on bike fittings and more. To the folks that think the guys at Gear West are elitist - you may be right, but you also have to admit that after you try to explain the difference between a tri bike and a road bike to somebody 20 times a day you could get a more touchy attitude. Sorry about the long post - hope it helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Gear West bike fitting? [Josh_MN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're currently looking at retail space. It won't be next August. I know the guy who'll be opening and running the store. If you send me a private message I can give you his # and he'll give you a more exact date.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Gear West bike fitting? [mts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fact that another triathlon store will be opening here in the Twin Cities is great news, and the competition between stores will only benefit those of us who live here and train here.

As for Gear West, I think it's a great store with a few snobby employees, but as I mentioned earlier, I haven't dealt with everyone who works there. While I do admit that it would be tiring to explain the difference between a road bike and a tri bike 20 times a day, that's still no reason to be rude. (Print up a handout that explains the pros and cons of each and hand it to the customer!) My negative experiences there haven't been related to bikes at all, but were related to finding a wetsuit that fit me properly. The message I came away with was, "dude, stop wasting my time. Unless you're an elite triathlete, you don't need a wetsuit that fits you." (What?!) I'm politely suggesting that Gear West would be a much better store if they worked to rid themselves of their negative reputation.

On another note: I'm surprised to see so many of us Twin Cities folks in this forum. I hope you're all enjoying the snow! (NOT!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a great fitting session with Kevin O'Connor last year, and suggest you give his shop a try. They have an outstanding track record with the folks they've fit including local hero Becky Gibbs. I also like to support these guys because they do so much for the tri scene here in MN. Bottom line: They're good people who have proven their talent at bike fitting.
Quote Reply
Be careful what you post [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since becoming familiar with Gear West, I have nothing but respect for the store. They support EVERY race from the middle of Wisconsin to the Middle of Iowa by packing up a trailer and travelling 5 or 6 hours to make sure that everyone has access to tubes, CO2 cartriges and gears that shift properly. There are not many stores in the country that support the sport like this store does. As far as fitting, I've never been fit there. They are experienced and Gear West is probably one of five stores in the sport to fit a good portion of the triathlon population. Most tri stores I go to (and I go to stores all over the midwest) take great pride in working with beginners and getting them started in the sport, so i don't think that it is fair for a people to peg a tri shop as being elitist.

The problem with a forum like this is that it allows people to spout off about a store, person, brand and then others attribute it to "the person, store, etc.. having a bad day". While that is entirely possible, keep in mind that the person perceiving those feelings about the store is often the person who is having the bad day or elitist attitude. I see it too often.

Quote Reply
Re: Be careful what you post [Mac McE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the interest of fairness to Gear West, and to the members of this forum, let me offer the following: The opinions that I've expressed here are my opinions and mine alone. They reflect my own experiences in the store, and the experiences that friends and acquaintances have related to me personally. I've tried to post these opinions as fairly and as politely as I can, and I've made sure to include the disclaimer that I haven't worked with every employee in the store.

As I stated in an earlier post, I think Gear West is a great store. Furthermore, I do agree with the assertion that they sponsor and fully support almost every race that occurs here in the midwest. Without them, we would have a real shortage of gear, knowledge, and support for triathlon here in the Twin Cities. In this regard, I think they do a fabulous job.

I wish Gear West and everyone who shops there a successful triathlon season.
Quote Reply