Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans?
Quote | Reply
Did Ironman switch to Gatorade as next year's fuel? And does anybody know if it will have maltodextrin in it? Specifically looking at IMTX...

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't it redbull now? I forget.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gatorade & historically gatorade endurance does not have maltodextrin in it (sugar & dextrose)

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Nov 17, 14 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Gatorade Endurance for North American events. Lemon Lime on the bike and Mellon on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank god. Perform was the worst tasting crap I have ever had. Looks like I can try something other than water on a course for once.

I believe they will have redbull in Kona again next year as I talked with a guy who works for them. Having redbull during the race this year was the greatest thing they have done to aide athletes on course.

You wanna see faster times in IM races? Put redbull at all of the events.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
Thank god. Perform was the worst tasting crap I have ever had. Looks like I can try something other than water on a course for once.

I believe they will have redbull in Kona again next year as I talked with a guy who works for them. Having redbull during the race this year was the greatest thing they have done to aide athletes on course.

You wanna see faster times in IM races? Put redbull at all of the events.

except I couldn't sleep all night:(

Quote | Reply
Will they keep the Gu and Bonk Breakers for 2015?
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If i see another bonk breaker bar before I die it'll be too soon.

Trained with them for Kona in 2014 and the politest way to say this is they were horrid the first time down. Time to return to infinit for me.

But IIRC the contract with the manufacturer of Gu has a while to run yet and ditto for BB.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [Konaflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about trying to use more on course stuff, since I've always carried my own in the past. What about BB were the problem? They have quite a bit of fat and protein, so that isn't ideal.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes but Gatorade Mellon on the run? WTF...Lemon Lime is fine on the bike but I think I'll stick to Coke for the run.
colinlaughery wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never understood how Red Bull is safe to consume during an extreme endurance event. Can someone explain?
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [PHaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PHaus wrote:
I've never understood how Red Bull is safe to consume during an extreme endurance event. Can someone explain?

It makes you go faster because it's full on magic. No explanation needed.

seriously though- sugar and higher caffeine content. Caffeine is an undisputed ergogenic aid.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But is it really safe? Seems like it wouldn't be because of what the high caffeine content could potentially do to your heart during exercise. There will probably be varying thoughts on this. I've just never understood the "energy drink" craze and have always been skeptical of their safety.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [PHaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that caffeine consumption with exercise is potentially unsafe in individuals with a preexisting heart condition or in individuals who are generally unfit for exercise (atherosclerosis, etc), but I think it is safe for the average healthy athlete. Considering that as athletes we frequently ramp our hearts up to their maximum capacity, I don't think that a few bpm increase during a sub-maximal event presents much danger. However, I could be wrong, and it certainly depends on the individual in question. I am also very biased, as I love the feeling of a caffeine rush during training :)
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Yes but Gatorade Mellon on the run? WTF...Lemon Lime is fine on the bike but I think I'll stick to Coke for the run.
colinlaughery wrote:

I agree on both points. ++1.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
Will they keep the Gu and Bonk Breakers for 2015?

We had Honey Stinger gels and chews at IM70.3 World in Tremblant. While I love the waffles and the chocolate rocket bars, I can't stand Honey Stinger gels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PHaus wrote:

Because it gives you wings???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
colinlaughery wrote:
PHaus wrote:

It makes you go faster because it's full on magic. No explanation needed.

seriously though- sugar and higher caffeine content. Caffeine is an undisputed ergogenic aid.

Only if the does is considerably higher than your normal daily intake.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [Zen Minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe to get a caffeine buzz, but not the ergogenic benefits.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Zen Minimalist [ In reply to ]
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is G-ade Endurance for all NA IM's or just US ones? Not sure. Don - do you know where in Canada we can get G-ade Endurance? Thanks!

Quote | Reply
Scott_B wrote:
Maybe to get a caffeine buzz, but not the ergogenic benefits.

Benefits are highly individual. For best results it is advised to abstain from caffeine for several days. Small doses work for endurance, and if you are already tolerant from consuming high doses you lose the benefits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
I was thinking about trying to use more on course stuff, since I've always carried my own in the past. What about BB were the problem? They have quite a bit of fat and protein, so that isn't ideal.

Sorry for the very tardy response, I was rather under the weather and forgot.

The honest answer is probably nothing was wrong with them. My stomach shut down at the IMWC in Kona around Mahukona on the way to Hawi, though I wasn't aware that it had until past Hawi on the return.

I'm returning to Infinit as I've seemed to have problems with bloating and sloshing when using solid foods. But honestly many folks are fine with the solid foods and might even do better.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [JoshR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Redbull is actually fairly low in caffeine in the small cans that are a "normal" serving. Far lower than most any other Energy drink. It's actually lower in caffeine than a average sized Starbucks coffee. Plus there the sugar. Whether it's safe is another question and also depends upon what margin of safety you are willing to accept and just how you define safe. Safe enough for me is the normal answer at the special needs bag area on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Gatorade or Perform on course at next years' Ironmans? [Konaflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Konaflyer wrote:
If i see another bonk breaker bar before I die it'll be too soon.

Trained with them for Kona in 2014 and the politest way to say this is they were horrid the first time down. Time to return to infinit for me.

But IIRC the contract with the manufacturer of Gu has a while to run yet and ditto for BB.

BB doesn't exist yet in Europe, so the first time I even had one was on course. They are the only item of sport-specific nutrition I have ever encountered that I could not handle.

And while I am ranting, my long-term opinion of Gu is that it is like a normal gel mixed with fine sand.

Thank God powerbar is still the sponsor over here.
Quote Reply

Prev Next