Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin watch strap question, broken
Quote | Reply
the strap broke. I ordered a new one from strapsco. Turns out similar but not exactly the same. The Garmin has a pin with a bulb on each side. Cannot get the bulb into the replacement strap. I could snap the pin and used the pin supplies with the strapsco strap. On the other hand it has bulb only on one side. I am worried it won't be as secure. Should I go through the hassle of looking for a garmin original strap or just go with the strapco pin.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch strap question, broken [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
having experienced non garmin straps, i'd ALWAYS recommend going with the real thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch strap question, broken [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
having experienced non garmin straps, i'd ALWAYS recommend going with the real thing.

Snap.
(Literally. I've tried non-Garmin straps on my 910 and 920 (before I went to Polar). The fake straps don't last long before splitting in my couple of examples.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 935 where you have a pull back clip that allows you to quickly and easily change bands. I have used cheap bands from Ebay for a few years now with no problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch strap question, broken [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

I have a 945 and bought a $10.00 quick-release type strap for it on Amazon, non-Garmin.

Expected it to suck, but it's been bulletproof. It's white, no less, and doesn't even have a single stain on it despite being taken in the pool all the time, on when I wrench my bikes, etc.

@OP - hard to tell how it'll work out for you without knowing which Garmin watch model you have
Last edited by: lightheir: Dec 30, 20 15:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After going through the original, a 3 pack of Amazon cheepos, and a rubber diving strap, a friend of mine turned me on to a webbing strap. It weaves through the pins, and you never even have to mess with them. It's lasted over a year, and that's a record for me. It's showing no signs of deteriorating. All my past straps would start cracking, before letting go. I'm just glad I didn't loose it at the bottom of a lake, or send it flying across a busy street.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch strap question, broken [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

I have a 945 and bought a $10.00 quick-release type strap for it on Amazon, non-Garmin.

Expected it to suck, but it's been bulletproof. It's white, no less, and doesn't even have a single stain on it despite being taken in the pool all the time, on when I wrench my bikes, etc.

@OP - hard to tell how it'll work out for you without knowing which Garmin watch model you have

+1

Bought a cheap silicone strap on eBay for my Fenix5 to try a different color. Ended up liking the strap better than the Garmin original (it's softer and stretchier, but just as durable).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch strap question, broken [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Sorry about that should have put that in. It is a 910. I might try the web strap idea someone suggested. Once I break the original pins I think I might be sunk if the replacement strap I have doesn't work. Lesson learned I guess.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch strap question, broken [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

+1

Bought a cheap silicone strap on eBay for my Fenix5 to try a different color. Ended up liking the strap better than the Garmin original (it's softer and stretchier, but just as durable).

I'm on my third Fenix5 Amazon band. Once they went to the quick release style of band it made it pretty easy for after-market companies to make cheap straps.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin watch strap question, broken [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockman wrote:
lightheir wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Sorry about that should have put that in. It is a 910. I might try the web strap idea someone suggested. Once I break the original pins I think I might be sunk if the replacement strap I have doesn't work. Lesson learned I guess.

How did you end up going with a replacement for the 910? I also have a 910 sitting on the desk with no straps. The few times it's been used in recent times I've carried it in my hand (not ideal). I'm thinking that some sort of nylon strap, even with velcro, would be more durable than silicone types. I don't care how it looks, just don't want to have to carry it.

Also have an older 405 and the strap just gave up the ghost and cracked. I think my young son didn't realise that he should be careful about how much to fold it back on itself to unclasp. Don't know if I am going to have any luck with that one. Would be a shame to have to throw a watch out for a strap issue.
Quote Reply