Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin forerunner 935 / 945 and racing
Quote | Reply
Question for Garmin forerunner 935/945 owners. How do you race with your watch? Do you just wrist mount it so you get all the hr data even though it's hard to read on the bike that way? Use the quick-release kit and forego hr data? Use a separate hr strap?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin forerunner 935 / 945 and racing [bigmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race with it on my wrist in Triathlon mode. I also have a Wahoo Bolt on the bike, which I reference on the bike leg. It's just too hard to read the watch and I don't want to futz with taking it on and off some kind of watch stand. I also wear the Garmin Tri strap because it's more accurate and I like to occasionally check my running cadence to keep my footspeed high and form tidy, especially in the middle stages of the run when I find my mind drifts a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
935 on wrist in triathlon mode, no transitions.
810 on the bike using HR from 935 and power from PM so I don't have to look at watch during bike.

Lap 935 when I come out of the water and as I cross the timing mat to start the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's on the wrist in triathlon mode. I have a HR strap and an edge 520 for the bike. I really only look at the watch once I'm on the run. The optical hr on the wrist is crap.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin forerunner 935 / 945 and racing [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
810 on the bike using HR from 935 and power from PM so I don't have to look at watch during bike.

Lap 935 when I come out of the water and as I cross the timing mat to start the run.

How do you do "no transitions"? Is that just a toggle-able option? So you don't care about the transition splits, meaning you are primarily using it for HR data during each leg (and not precise timing data after the fact)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most people use a dedicated Garmin bike computer as well, and just have the wristwatch collect the data for later analysis. I find this to be an immensely better solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even put the watch on until the run. It provides useless data for the swim. I have a dedicated bike computer. I'm also an aeroweenie and don't want the watch in the wind on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin forerunner 935 / 945 and racing [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it is too many buttons to press while I racing and I always forget to do it. When I come out of T1 I'm concentrated on my mount and not hitting someone/something. When I go into T2 I'm concentrating on the dismount and not hitting someone/something. I can get transition times from the race results.

While I'm racing, I'm interested in how long I was in the water, a backup file for the bike, and what my run split is. I rarely look at HR while on the bike, if I do it'll be on the 810 and easier to see. I guide my effort on the bike with power.

You can toggle transitions off in the activity settings.

If I really needed to tease out transition times I could go to Garmin connect and see when I started and stopped pedaling.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin forerunner 935 / 945 and racing [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tanzbodeli wrote:
jaretj wrote:

How do you do "no transitions"? Is that just a toggle-able option? So you don't care about the transition splits, meaning you are primarily using it for HR data during each leg (and not precise timing data after the fact)?

It's an option buried in the menus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race with a 935. I use the quick release kit and transfer to my bike for 70.3 and IM distances since I dont have a separate bike computer (sprint/oly i just leave it on the wrist and dont use the QR kit). I haven't found optical HR to be consistent enough to use for races so either way I use a chest strap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been using the quick release mounts since the FR305. Things changed a bit with the 935 as the unit became much bulkier when using with a quick release. The 935/945 now sit in a detachable cradle that you lock mount to a wrist band and a mount on the bike. Never had a separate bike computer so always used it this way. Swim, bike, and run all with the watch and a chest strap for heart rate.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin forerunner 935 / 945 and racing [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Sean H and All,

I am wondering if the Garmin Forerunner 945 will function with my Garmin Varia Vision to provide Watts, cadence, speed, heart rate, and other data .... that would make a light and aero combination for data perception.

If that works I will not have to carry my Garmin 520 in a pocket.

It might be useful to have some data transmitted by vibration or electrical stimulation in the future .... perhaps indicating exceeding a preset heart rate or Wattage .... so we do not have to rely only on visual displays.

One could wear patches on different parts of the body that vibrated to indicate different parameters ... when targeting a specific Wattage the patch on the leg could vibrate at higher frequency for too much Wattage and a different lower frequency for too little Wattage .... no signal if you are in the optimum preset range.

Deaf humans could benefit from sensing vibration data.

An aural tone (frequency of tone varied with airspeed) system was used by British pilots back in the 60's for coming aboard their aircraft carriers .... while we (US) used a visual system that displayed angle of attack.

Blind humans could benefit from non visual methods for presentation of data ..... the use aural and vibration data presentation ... tones, voices, and vibration patches.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin forerunner 935 / 945 and racing [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Most people use a dedicated Garmin bike computer as well, and just have the wristwatch collect the data for later analysis. I find this to be an immensely better solution.
+1

FR935 on wrist, 520 on bike. Data in 520 used to assist me on the bike, 935 for later analysis and for on the run.

Regarding the post above, the FR935 does vibrate and you can use that with set pace / speed/power/HR zones to inform you if you are over/under.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin forerunner 935 / 945 and racing [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I race with it on my wrist in Triathlon mode. I also have a Wahoo Bolt on the bike, which I reference on the bike leg. It's just too hard to read the watch and I don't want to futz with taking it on and off some kind of watch stand. I also wear the Garmin Tri strap because it's more accurate and I like to occasionally check my running cadence to keep my footspeed high and form tidy, especially in the middle stages of the run when I find my mind drifts a bit.

this exactly... except I use a Garmin820 on the bike...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello bigmatt and All,

Any reccomendations for best price (if there is one at this early stage) for Garmin Forerunner 945 purchase?

So far looks like REI dividend at 10% is best bet.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Jun 4, 19 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin forerunner 935 / 945 and racing [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone mentioned this on another post but if you are on BCBS healthcare, they have a 365 program that can get you a 35% off code direct from Garmin. It depends on what state you are in. CA for example doesn’t offer it, but many others do.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin forerunner 935 / 945 and racing [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG!!! My BCBS participates in the 365 program
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto the many others. I wear a 945 from start to finish. And, I simultaneously use a 530 on the bike for better readability. I also wear a Scosche Rhythm 24 from start to finish, so I have HR from the swim also.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin forerunner 935 / 945 and racing [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello Sean H and All,

I am wondering if the Garmin Forerunner 945 will function with my Garmin Varia Vision to provide Watts, cadence, speed, heart rate, and other data .... that would make a light and aero combination for data perception.

According to the Garmin website the Varia Vision will work with the 945
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin forerunner 935 / 945 and racing [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the garmin wrist quick release. Since I have small wrists I thought it would be too big, but looks fine. I start it before the swim, pop the watch face on my bike while lease the wrist strap on, and pop it back on for the run.

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply