Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin for the bike
Quote | Reply
Hey all...

My search skills suck, so if there is a post that deals with that, just reply with the link and I will happily go there. I didn't find what I was looking for though.

I've got an old edge 500 that is starting to crap out on me (won't go past the "working..." stage sometimes). So, I'm looking to replace/upgrade. I really don't need much. I'm not riding much these days, mainly rollers to be honest. I'd just like something for those days when I do go out on the road. From what I've seen online elsewhere, it seems like maybe a 520 plus might be a good option. There's just so much knowledge and experience here that I thought I should ask the group before committing.

If you need more info to help you advise me, let me know and I will add what I can.

Thanks in advance.

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin for the bike [ilovemyfootball] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 520 plus is a good option if you want to upload maps and create maps from your rides for your indoor trainer, if that is not important just go with the edge 130 for a cheaper option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin 520 or 530 are good options.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin for the bike [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I’d go with 520 Plus or 530. I have both and the 530 is definitely nicer, but you can save some coin with the 520 Plus if you don’t ride outside much. Or go with a 520 Plus and a Varia radar. That radar is pretty awesome for outdoor riding by letting you know about cars coming up behind you. The Varis is on sale now for $130 most places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As with all of my Tech questions i go to the font of wisdom that is;

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

He has guides for everything which should help in making your choice. I have a 130 which is just fine for riding if you don't have a power meter and just need the basic data. I like it and it's been working reliably for a few years now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would qualify your frequency of use with the question... when you do use it, how important is it? Do you need mapping for unfamiliar rides?

I had a 520, and the 530 is a big leap forward in the UI, speed, and mapping features. If you will use mapping, then get a 530. If not, then the 520 or 520 Plus are both fantastic and economical options.

Also ditto above the Varia radar comment. Those are on sale now, and that is a piece of technology I will not ride outside without-- especially as an infrequent rider who does not maintain killer what-is-behind-me skills.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin for the bike [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also if you're on the Garmin website, it lets you compare bike computers side by side so you can see what you have or don't have compared to other models.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin for the bike [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edge 130 - not quite as many frills, but it works reliably. I’ve had one for a year of consistent use.

Edge 5xx would be a little less spartan, but if there is no feature that the 5xx has that the 130 doesn’t, I’d save my money.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin for the bike [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to last...

Thanks for all the comments. Does anyone have any experience with or comments on the Edge Explore? While looking at things, I had the thought that maps might be useful as I live in a city/country that I'm not that familiar with. For the rare occasions I make it outside, might be nice to be able to put an address in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edge Explore does not support power meters... but, if address entry is important, then get the 1030. It is on sale for an incredible deal. That computer is amazing. The UI is the best. The only reason to consider the 830 is if you want the touch UI, but do not want the larger unit.
Quote Reply